Living Legend

Re: PGA: The 2009 Masters

Vijay Singh’s Water Skip-Shot Hole In One During Masters Practice Round

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

Wow what luck and look at the crowds there just for the practice rounds.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Wow what luck and look at the crowds there just for the practice rounds.
The traffic during Masters week in Augusta rivals that of the DC Metro area, but their roads except for I520 are not designed to hold that much volume. I used to just stay on Post that week.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
. There are about a dozen of these guys who I think for selfish reasons take up a spot every year. I say they limit them to so many times playing without making the cut and then they are gone. This will open up more spots for younger players that actually have a chance to win. Most older players like Nicholas and Palmer stopped playing when they could not compeate any longer in the Masters but some of these older guys just don't seem to care they are bumping out younger guys trying to make a living.

This is not so. The Masters is an Invitational. They have criteria they use to invite people and you either qualify or you don't. They don't bump people to make room for former champions.

Several years ago Hootie Johnson sent out a letter sugeesting that players over 65 stop competing and it went over like a lead balloon. People like watching the older players.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
My pick to win is Carl Pettersson.
What I meant to say was Kenny Perry.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

What a collapse by Perry. That has gotta suck
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Great finish to a Great tournament! Lefty put on a show, had a heck of a front (-6 to start the day), just could not put together a back, the double at I believe 12 the par three was a killer. But,nice pairing with himself and woods.

Was hoping to see an American finish/WIN...but Perry OR Campbell couldn't get it done. And it was Perry's to loss up by two with two to go. But as golf goes its a game of inches.

Who would know better than Cabrera..on the 1st extra hole (18) in the woods, gets a lucky bounce off a tree right into the fairway. Win some and ya loss some. Today was his day. He must of had that Angel.......on his shoulder! Congrats to Angel and this accomplishment being the first Argentinian to win The Masters!

Angel Cabrera wins the Masters on second playoff hole over Kenny Perry - ESPN
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Great finish to a Great tournament! Lefty put on a show, had a heck of a front (-6 to start the day), just could not put together a back, the double at I believe 12 the par three was a killer. But,nice pairing with himself and woods.

Was hoping to see an American finish/WIN...but Perry OR Campbell couldn't get it done. And it was Perry's to loss up by two with two to go. But as golf goes its a game of inches.

Who would know better than Cabrera..on the 1st extra hole (18) in the woods, gets a lucky bounce off a tree right into the fairway. Win some and ya loss some. Today was his day. He must of had that Angel.......on his shoulder! Congrats to Angel and this accomplishment being the first Argentinian to win The Masters!

Angel Cabrera wins the Masters on second playoff hole over Kenny Perry - ESPN
What a tournament yesterday. It turned out to be a Master within a Master with Phil and Woods having their own shoot out infront of the leaders. I have never seen so many people following a pairing as they did yesterday and it seemed people where stacked up 20 to 30 people deep at times to watch Phil and Woods. After Phil dropped out I found myself cheering on any US player but that did not happen. It just shows if you can show up on Sunday and keep yourself around the top of the leader board anything can happen.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

That must have been awesome to be there following him and Tiger around, watching them push each other towards the top of the leaderboard.

Hard to believe Mickelson shot a 30 on the front, and had every opportunity to be in that playoff, but double bogey on 12, missing the Eagle on 15, missing birdie on 17 (I think) and bogey on 18 and he called it a day.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
GMScud
Swearinger

When Cabrera went in the woods on the 1st playoff I thought he was done. Then he bounces it off a pine right into the fairway. Ha. What an awesome tournament.

After Phil's front 9, I didn't think anyone was going to catch him

Phil's 2nd shot on the 7th and Perry's tee shot on the par 3 16th were just amazing.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
One thing I think they do need to change with the master is the life time pass players get if they have ever won the Masters. For example. Gary Players is still playing at his age and he has no chance of ever winning and cannot even make the cut. There are about a dozen of these guys who I think for selfish reasons take up a spot every year. I say they limit them to so many times playing without making the cut and then they are gone. This will open up more spots for younger players that actually have a chance to win. Most older players like Nicholas and Palmer stopped playing when they could not compeate any longer in the Masters but some of these older guys just don't seem to care they are bumping out younger guys trying to make a living.
There are plenty of guys that play that have no chance of winning. Fuzzy Z, Crenshaw, Lyle, Omera, Player and on and on. But that's the tradition of The Masters and that's why it's different from other majors. Jack and Arnold kept playing when they had no shot at winning. I remember Arnold's last round and it was just painful. And the TV people eat that shit up. I'm not sure why people that are competitive keep trucking themselves out there when they have no chance of winning.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #27
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
There are plenty of guys that play that have no chance of winning. Fuzzy Z, Crenshaw, Lyle, Omera, Player and on and on. But that's the tradition of The Masters and that's why it's different from other majors. Jack and Arnold kept playing when they had no shot at winning. I remember Arnold's last round and it was just painful. And the TV people eat that shit up. I'm not sure why people that are competitive keep trucking themselves out there when they have no chance of winning.
There is no chance, but I am sure all the greats think they always have a shot at it no matter what. It is delusional but at that point in their careers money is not an issue.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
What a collapse by Perry. That has gotta suck
Trained with Greg Norman?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
70Chip
Playmaker

It was a very good Masters. I thought Philly was on his way after the 30, which is a score you see once every 10 years or so on that front nine, but he faltered on the back which is by all accounts the easier scoring side. If he pars 12 and makes those short putts at 15 and 17, he wins the thing outright with a record tieing 63. He'll be grinding his teeth over that one for a while.