Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

PGA: The 2009 Masters

Other Sports

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

PGA: The 2009 Masters

With the 2009 Masters to begin tomorrow who ya taken...? I'll put in my pick later but I would like to see Couples win this baby. But I have a few other thoughts to share when I get a moment.

The Masters: Jason Sobel ranks the entire Masters field 1-96 - ESPN
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: PGA: The 2009 Masters

I'll take Goosen because it's cliche to pick Tiger, I see him and Tiger as having the best chance. I'll be rooting for Tiger, though.

Goosen's game is well-suited for Augusta and he comes in having won a tourney already this year.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
dmek25
MVP

im not into golf, but have a question for you schneed. why tiger? is it like your favorite team? or just because he is the best?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

A tradition unlike any other.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Hey why are starting a thread here in the correct forum when I have one started in the parking lot. Hey mods freeze this thread.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

I love golf in general - playing and watching- but the Masters is great, especially when it falls on Easter weekend. To me, it signifies the start of Spring (my favorite season). Easter Sunday is always a great time to be with family, and mine happens to be a big golf family. So it's going to be a blast.

I think it's going to be a fun tournament this year. I'll take Tiger. I'm not one to be enamored with any athlete, but Tiger is the exception. I love the guy. I see Goosen, Paddy Harrington, and Zach Johnson having nice weekends, too. And Greg Norman could surprise some folks.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
KLHJ2
Inactive

Ben Crenshaw... anyone...anyone at all? I kind of have a soft spot for the guy. He is the only PGA Golfer that I have ever met. He gave a clinic at Fort Gordon 3 years ago during masters week and I was among some of the soldiers who were in attendance. I got his autograph for my Step Dad and my Uncle.

Other than Tiger a player that I really like is Boo Weekly. The guy is so down to earth and he cracks me up. He is like a Redneck version of Happy Gilmore.

KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
70Chip
Playmaker

I watched the Par 3 competition today. How come the Par 3 here in town isn't that nice? Jeez. The Par 3 is prettier than the regular course.

My pick to win is Carl Pettersson.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
My pick to win is Carl Pettersson.
Makes me think of:

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Makes me think of:

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"
LOL! He's just crushing those flowers at Bushwood.

"that's- oh, he got all of that one! He's gotta be pleased with that! The crowd is just on its feet here. He's a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He's got about 195 yards left, and he's got a, looks like he's got about an 8-iron..."
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
im not into golf, but have a question for you schneed. why tiger? is it like your favorite team? or just because he is the best?
I find him extremely likable as a person and I kind of view it as a privilege to watch him play. It's like watching Michael Jordan. You were hard pressed to find someone who didn't like Michael Jordan, and when you think back on it, it's kind of cool to be able to say I saw the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

I root for Tiger in every major because it could mean he's one step closer to one of the most impressive career achievements in all of sports: 18 majors. I've watched every single one of his major victories so far live on TV. When he retires as the greatest golfer of all time, I'd love to be able to say I saw them all.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

One thing I think they do need to change with the master is the life time pass players get if they have ever won the Masters. For example. Gary Players is still playing at his age and he has no chance of ever winning and cannot even make the cut. There are about a dozen of these guys who I think for selfish reasons take up a spot every year. I say they limit them to so many times playing without making the cut and then they are gone. This will open up more spots for younger players that actually have a chance to win. Most older players like Nicholas and Palmer stopped playing when they could not compeate any longer in the Masters but some of these older guys just don't seem to care they are bumping out younger guys trying to make a living.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
One thing I think they do need to change with the master is the life time pass players get if they have ever won the Masters. For example. Gary Players is still playing at his age and he has no chance of ever winning and cannot even make the cut. There are about a dozen of these guys who I think for selfish reasons take up a spot every year. I say they limit them to so many times playing without making the cut and then they are gone. This will open up more spots for younger players that actually have a chance to win. Most older players like Nicholas and Palmer stopped playing when they could not compeate any longer in the Masters but some of these older guys just don't seem to care they are bumping out younger guys trying to make a living.
It's called the "Masters" for a reason. It is the top tournament in the world for a lot of reasons. Many of those reasons are it's unwavering traditions. They will never get rid of that tradition I'll guarantee it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It's called the "Masters" for a reason. It is the top tournament in the world for a lot of reasons. Many of those reasons are it's unwavering traditions. They will never get rid of that tradition I'll guarantee it.
Yeah that tradition is cool, IMO. Plus it's not like there's a shortage of quality players in the Masters. Ways to get invited:

- All previous Masters Winners invited
- Last 5 US Open Champions
- Last 5 British Open Champions
- Last 5 PGA Champions
- Last 3 Players Championship winners
- Last year's winner and runner up of the US Amateur
- Last year's British amateur champion
- Last year's US Public Links Amateur champion
- Last year's US Mid-Ameteur champion
- Last year's top 16 from the Masters (including ties)
- Last year's top 8 from the US Open (including ties)
- Last year's top 4 from the PGA (including ties)
- Last year's top 30 on the PGA money list
- Win any PGA event within the last 365 days that awards a full-point allocation in the FedEx Cup race.
- Qualifiers from the previous year's Fed Ex Cup.
- Anyone ranked within the top 50 in last year's world golf rankings.
- And then the Masters Committee can make special exemptions for whoever they want.

That pretty much gets everybody.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
jdlea
Playmaker

I always pull for Tiger because he's hands down my favorite golfer and he was probably my father's favorite, as well. However, if pressed to pick someone not named Tiger Woods, gimme Camilo Villegas. I love that guy's game.

Also, I really like Weir, but if Tiger doesn't win, I'm rooting for Villegas.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote