Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

NY, NY Vacation Thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
jamf
Pro Bowl

NY, NY Vacation Thread

Hello My Warpath Family,
I will be in NYC for a wedding in June. I would like to experience NYC while avoiding typical tourist traps.

I don't want to ride a tour bus around town while taking pictures of landmarks and I don't want to be on a schedule.

What do you like to do in NYC?
Do you have a favorite restaurant I have to try or a great coffee shop with amazing muffins?
Have a favorite nightclub with a great jazz band?
Which hotel bar has the most attractive hookers?
Great bookstore I can't miss?

These are just examples.

I would would to experience NYC.
What do you recommend?
any secret spots or things to do?
What should I avoid... statue of liberty worth the trouble?

I like all kinds of music and food. I'm pretty social and would like a late night spot to check out, maybe grab a beer and listen to some music after I did a little of the standard stuff( museums and wedding stuff).

Thanks for the info!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Been there once and it's the coolest place I've ever been, times square is great and I even took a train from queens to L.I. really cool place

O and yes the statue is worth it imo
Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: NY, NY Vacation Thread

Lot of Broadway shows are definitely worthwhile.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I would not discount the bus tour. I have been on afew there I enjoyed all of them very informative.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Hello My Warpath Family,
I will be in NYC for a wedding in June. I would like to experience NYC while avoiding typical tourist traps.

I don't want to ride a tour bus around town while taking pictures of landmarks and I don't want to be on a schedule.

What do you like to do in NYC?
Do you have a favorite restaurant I have to try or a great coffee shop with amazing muffins?
Have a favorite nightclub with a great jazz band?
Which hotel bar has the most attractive hookers?
Great bookstore I can't miss?

These are just examples.

I would would to experience NYC.
What do you recommend?
any secret spots or things to do?
What should I avoid... statue of liberty worth the trouble?

I like all kinds of music and food. I'm pretty social and would like a late night spot to check out, maybe grab a beer and listen to some music after I did a little of the standard stuff( museums and wedding stuff).

Thanks for the info!
Where in the city you staying, because there a lots of options within a 10 block radius. My biggest recommend would be good comfortable shoes, lots of walking. I like upper midtown for people watching but touristy/central park is great/world trade/wall street. Meat packing district for nightlight. Chelsea/West Village is great too.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I spent a few days in NY last summer, I hit most of the tourist spots but one of the things I enjoyed more was the 30 Rock studio tour. The pamphlet was a bit misleading as it said one of the studios we would visit would be the SNF studio, which I didn't get to see, but they do show you the studios for Brian Williams, Jimmy Fallon, and SNL. There's also a cheesy thing where you pick 2 people out of the tour to do their own mini-broadcast, and you get to see the makeup rooms and some other things. When we were there it was empty, there weren't any workers or famous people walking around, but I still enjoyed it.

I don't think it's that expensive if you buy solo, but I did it as part of the NY pass, which I don't recommend if you don't want to do all the tourist traps like we did. For me the tourist traps were ok but once you get them out of the way they really aren't all that special. Next time I go I'll probably just wing it and see what happens.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

central park isn't bad, broadway is always good... there are about 4 million restaurants per city block, and 90+% of them deliver to your door.

as far as music, beyond the clubs, you'll see a lot of people in the park or on the subways, depending on what you're into. some are pretty good.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think the spots you avoid is chinatown, lil italy. I think either side of central park is meh.

Im in Southern Connecticut this weekend, will probably go into the city at least once.

I would say the sports Yankees or Mets Stadium and MSG for a knicks game would be great. Done all 3.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I haven't been there since I was a tot but here is what I would do.

See Statue of Liberty
See Ellis island
Take a ferry to New Jersey and back just for the picture taking.
Go to the 9/11 Memorial site and do whatever there is to do there.
Hang out at Battery Park.
Find the best pastrami sandwich restaurants.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Unless you've prebooked months in advance there's no way to see Ground Zero. I tried when I was up there last year, but since it's still under construction you have to book in advance, and I heard the tickets (free) sell out at least 2 months ahead of time. Once it's finished it will be open to the public though.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Where in the city you staying, because there a lots of options within a 10 block radius. My biggest recommend would be good comfortable shoes, lots of walking. I like upper midtown for people watching but touristy/central park is great/world trade/wall street. Meat packing district for nightlight. Chelsea/West Village is great too.
Near grand central terminal. about a mile from time square.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Unless you've prebooked months in advance there's no way to see Ground Zero. I tried when I was up there last year, but since it's still under construction you have to book in advance, and I heard the tickets (free) sell out at least 2 months ahead of time. Once it's finished it will be open to the public though.
Great info, I do want to see ground zero.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I did this all in one day with friends of ours from England .

Started at the Dakota(John Lennon and such lived) off of Central park west cross the street to the park and Strawberry fields ,walk the park to Tavern on the Green and even down to the Plaza, hit the museum of Art off 5th Ave on the way back ,went back to the car drove through the park to 5th Ave and then went downtown ,Trump Tower St. Patrick's and the Empire State building (get tickets on line before you go).Then down to Wall Street ,Battery Park and then Ground Zero , back up to Times square to finish off the day .

P.S.

Don't be afraid to take the Westside Hwy , it can take you up and down the city faster than 5th .

Last edited by Giantone; 01-14-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Don't sell the touristy stuff short, some of it's definitely fun like going to the top of the Empire St Building or get a tour of 30 Rock. Some of the bus tours you can hop on and off so it's a good way to get around.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Great info, I do want to see ground zero.
I just checked the website, right now would be a great time to go because it looks like there's no waiting list. Last year when I went at the end of June I didn't know you needed tickets and when I checked (while I was there in June) the earliest you could book was like late August. Maybe it's a winter thing? Either way I'll definitely be booking in advance for when I eventually go back.