Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

RIP Nelson Mandela

Parking Lot

Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

RIP Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela dead at 95 - Story - World - 3 News

The man did so much for his people of South Africa. From prisoner to President within one lifetime is something to marvel. The world is a lesser place.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: RIP Nelson Mandela

Hero. Amazing strength

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
budw38
Playmaker

R.I.P. Mr. Mandela . A hero , for millions , A champion for positive thinking and compassion for humanity .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I work close to the Phillip Morris headquarters and was driving back to work about an hour ago and noticed our flag at half staff. Pres Obama issued a proclamation to lower the flag for 5 days to honor Mandela. Rewind 8 months - and our president did not find the need to extend the same respect for Margret Thatcher.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Lowering the flag for foreign dignitaries is pretty rare from what I understand. I heard the last time it happened was for John Paul II in 05.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
over the mountain
Playmaker

i have to admit, i dot really know what he did besides the obvious "led a civil rights revolution to challenge the apartheid theocracy of S. Africa as well as spending 20 plus years in jail"

but besides that sentence, that is really it.

It seems the conservatives of this country brand him a terrorist and mass murderer.
something like 147 republicans in the house voted "no" to a proclamation that he should be freed back in early 2000.

at some point this weekend i hope to read a good article on him ... preferably written in the 80s or 90s or earlier.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i have to admit, i dot really know what he did besides the obvious "led a civil rights revolution to challenge the apartheid theocracy of S. Africa as well as spending 20 plus years in jail"

but besides that sentence, that is really it.

It seems the conservatives of this country brand him a terrorist and mass murderer.
something like 147 republicans in the house voted "no" to a proclamation that he should be freed back in early 2000.

at some point this weekend i hope to read a good article on him ... preferably written in the 80s or 90s or earlier.
As I recall, he was a leader on the ANC, a party that did a lot of heinous stuff while fighting the evil aparthied system. Including some ugly atrocities against their rivals, the Zulus. But he had a good retort to people criticizing his associates methods, basically that they could stop using force when the government stopped using force (and committing countless atrocities of their own). Mandela's probably one of the primary reasons South Africa made a relatively peaceful transition out of apartheid, and isn't like Zimbabwe or Mozambique today.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote