Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Walter Payton Used Drugs/Suicidal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Walter Payton Used Drugs/Suicidal

Sad Story... I always imagined Payton being a squeaky clean guy.. .I guess we all have our baggage.

Still one of my favorite players, I hope the book doesn't diminish his legacy at all.

Chicago Bears' Walter Payton used drugs, talked suicide, according to book - ESPN Chicago

Last edited by Gmanc711; 09-28-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Walter Payton Used Drugs/Suicidal

18 games! 18 games! 18 games! "Our fans are excited about the prospect of an 18 game season."

Seriously how did the owners with a database full of cases similar to this ever consider putting together an 18 game season? Limiting head shots only does so much, I mean it helps but you'll still get terrible cases like this where guys basically become different people due to head trauma and addiction.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Sad Story... I always imagined Payton being a squeaky clean guy.. .I guess we all have our baggage.

Still one of my favorite players, I hope the book doesn't diminish his legacy at all.

Chicago Bears' Walter Payton used drugs, talked suicide, according to book - ESPN Chicago
Apparently the book discusses how he used to have multiple girlfriends, and even had to juggle time with a girlfriend and his wife at his HOF induction.

I guess he got Vicodin from multiple dentists by lying about aching teeth. One time the police even visited his house because he was going from pharmacy to pharmacy having prescriptions filled. Pollin and Czaben were talking about the book on the Sports Reporters about an hour ago.

It's too bad because he was such a fantastic player. Hard to fault the guy for the pain medication. He took an absolute pounding during his career.

I'm in the same boat as you- I hope this doesn't tarnish his image.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

TMI, I don't want to know any of this stuff. I just want to remember the great player.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I wish I had been around when he was tearing up defenses, but I've seen his highlights and it's a shame this book only focuses on the other side of his legacy. This is just another story that shows the dark side these guys go through during and after their playing days. At least he's in a better place now. And I completely agree Dirtbag, even just pondering the idea of an 18 game season shows how clueless these owners are.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Do we know he became a different person because of head trauma? I'm not trying to be rude. But he could have been a suicidal cheater before the game of football. I'm curious if the book made a correlation?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

I dont give a rats ass whats in that book, he was theee best running, blocking, pass catching, and whatever the hell else was asked of him running back i ever saw play. Thats all i have to say on this topic.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

One of my all time favs. I don't think this hurts his legacy, at least not for me, if anything it shows the guy was human and had his issues just like everyone else. On the field the guy was an absolute beast.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Folks get so emotionally attached to players yet we don't really know who they are off the playing field.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
One of my all time favs. I don't think this hurts his legacy, at least not for me, if anything it shows the guy was human and had his issues just like everyone else. On the field the guy was an absolute beast.
true dat, remember when Jim Brown basically called Franco Harris a pussy for runnin out of bounds? He said he admired Payton though.

plus he was classy all the way, played on sucky teams in the 70s & waited to be a part of a super bowl. Even gave up the spotlight in the backfield to the Fridge (speakin of former players w/problems).

I don't ever remember him promoting himself, his image just happened to be "squeaky clean" by the way he carried himself. More than anything to me, this shows how much the media coverage (which we consume like mad) has changed athletes' public image & privacy.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
TMI, I don't want to know any of this stuff. I just want to remember the great player.
I agree. No reason to put out all this BS after the guy dies. Payton was and will be one of my all time favorite players ever. One of the best football players ever to step on to a field.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

He could do it all on the field, run with power, run with speed, catch, block, even throw.

He was also the main reason I checked off organ donor on my license.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Agree, this TMZ sh*t is garbage. Guess thats what you gotta do to sell books and make a dollar off the back off a flat out hero to maybe millions. Well guess this is the culture we created, this country is great isnt it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The book is about his entire life, and his entire life includes these things. I learned long ago to separate the player on the field from the person off the field. You kind of have to. Because of my job I know a lot that others here probably don't about a lot of today's (and yesterday's) athletes that not much surprises me (and I know so little really) but this Walter Payton news is kind of stunning though, perhaps as much as Kirby Puckett
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
18 games! 18 games! 18 games! "Our fans are excited about the prospect of an 18 game season."

Seriously how did the owners with a database full of cases similar to this ever consider putting together an 18 game season? Limiting head shots only does so much, I mean it helps but you'll still get terrible cases like this where guys basically become different people due to head trauma and addiction.
Owners don't give a shit about players health (long term). They really don't. They care about dollar signs and that's all they will continue to care about.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote