Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Postal Service posts $8.5 billion loss

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

Postal Service posts $8.5 billion loss

Wow, the post office is only 8.5 billion in the red that's pretty good for a federal program/agency. I'm sure they will get it fixed like they are fixing health care and all our other problems.But don't worry I'm sure social security, Medicare, and the other federal programs are financially strong.

Federal Eye - Postal Service posts $8.5 billion loss
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Postal Service posts $8.5 billion loss

The should just scrap the postal service all together. It's slowly going the way of the dinosaurs anyway.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The should just scrap the postal service all together. It's slowly going the way of the dinosaurs anyway.
Since I currently work in the direct marketing industry (ie retail/financial junk mail) I sincerely hope this doesn't happen any time soon.
And actually I think it will be a long time before regular mail is completely abandon. Many people still use it all the time.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Since I currently work in the direct marketing industry (ie retail/financial junk mail) I sincerely hope this doesn't happen any time soon.
And actually I think it will be a long time before regular mail is completely abandon. Many people still use it all the time.
If I give you my address would you take me off your junk mail list? LOL
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
if i give you my address would you take me off your junk mail list? Lol
never!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
They have been loosing money for a long time its just finally catching up to them. When you give great benefits and people can retire at age 55 then your going to have problems. I don't knock anyone for working for the federal government its just we cannot afford to keep going like this.

Retirement Eligibility
Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

F... junk mail. Seriously, why can't you opt out of that shit? Chaps my ass that I have to pay to toss it out.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
They have been loosing money for a long time its just finally catching up to them. When you give great benefits and people can retire at age 55 then your going to have problems. I don't knock anyone for working for the federal government its just we cannot afford to keep going like this.

Retirement Eligibility
yes, the postal service and other fed gov't jobs have way too many benefits, perks and pensions on top of the fact that most are lazy as hell, rude and indifferent to doing their job efficiently or effectively.

it just doesnt make sense in this day and age to go to the priv sector where you have to work your ass off then pay for your own benefits.

shit, in balt city firefighters and police have a guaranteed return on their pension benefits to an interest rate that was relative to the stock market in the 90s when it was booming. if it drops below the int rate, which it has by alot compared to the 90s the city and tax payer money have to make up the difference. these a holes are now protesting and saying the mayor has turned her back on them.

no aholes, you arent going to get the benefit of getting 100k plus a year during retirement for 20 years of crappy service.

i have a client who just left, she is getting a total of 6k in benefits a month. 6 frakin k, she hasnt worked in a long time, is on disability (yet she can walk and talk fine) and drives a freakin lexus, gets her hair done (that aint cheap) and has acrylic nails. WTF WTF WTF!

hearing about state and fed employees pensions, benefits etc when i have to work closely with these lazy uneducated POS just grinds my gears.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
F... junk mail. Seriously, why can't you opt out of that shit? Chaps my ass that I have to pay to toss it out.
Why do you have yo pay to toss out junk mail? I give it to my daughter and she gets a kick of sitting there opening up mail like mom and dad and pretends to read it. I don't mind junk male because I'm in sales and advertise myself and I have done plenty of mailings over the years. I'm also the person who does not mind solicitors knocking on the door because I have done that myself and they are only trying to do their job. Annoying yes but I'll live with it.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

I pay for garbage removal, therefore I'm paying to toss it out.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I pay for garbage removal, therefore I'm paying to toss it out.
I thought that's what you where saying but trash service will not drop its prices if junk mail stopped. Actually if junk mail stopped it would cost you money in postage because junk mail must pay a good chunk of the Postal income.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Thanks but I still hate junk mail. It's a waste of my time and a waste of paper. I rarely use the USPS so another rate hike wouldn't bother me.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I probably am being hypocritical on this, but really... 8.5billion in the red to keep mail service available to every address in the US. Maybe it should get the ax, but anyone who tried SS's NYTimes budget balancing thing realizes that 8.5Billion don't mean squat in the scheme of things. If we get Defense, SocialSec, Medicare, etc down to where 8.5billion balances the budget, then hack it, hack it to pieces. Until then, cutting it can be looked at 2 ways, 1- a meaningless throwaway that politicians can use for campaign fluff, or 2- a creation of a hardship on people in rural areas for a function that government has been tasked with since the 1800's to allow for politicians to get their pet projects funded
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Thanks but I still hate junk mail. It's a waste of my time and a waste of paper. I rarely use the USPS so another rate hike wouldn't bother me.
I don't mail much personally but my business does. I try to fax, email, set customers up on ebill, but there is still a large % who don't like that and want a bill. Hell I get 5 to 10 people who come into my office to pay their bill by check and then want a receipt. That I don't get. I can give people a 15% discount off their auto ins. if they do automatic withdraw and ebill and only about 40% of the people will sign up for that.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I probably am being hypocritical on this, but really... 8.5billion in the red to keep mail service available to every address in the US. Maybe it should get the ax, but anyone who tried SS's NYTimes budget balancing thing realizes that 8.5Billion don't mean squat in the scheme of things. If we get Defense, SocialSec, Medicare, etc down to where 8.5billion balances the budget, then hack it, hack it to pieces. Until then, cutting it can be looked at 2 ways, 1- a meaningless throwaway that politicians can use for campaign fluff, or 2- a creation of a hardship on people in rural areas for a function that government has been tasked with since the 1800's to allow for politicians to get their pet projects funded
That's the thinking we need to get away from. I feel if we start getting every federal employee or person working for the goverment to find ways to save $100 here and $100 there then we start to make a dent in this problem. Its not always the other persons waisted money that's the problem. Its time for everyone to watch what they spend.