Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Playbook

Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Lady Brave
The Starter

Re: Parking Lot Post Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Fair points. On the other hand, when you say "not getting credit for it" you're saying that number of posts equals more credit. And the idea is not to equate more posts with better posters. I mean you have "only" 1,200 posts. But anyone who's been here long enough knows that you're as valuable (if not more so) than many members with more posts.

But like I said, I won't be upset if we bring them back. I'd be that much closer to 30,000 posts. Just wait for that thread!
I guess what I mean by "credit" is that post counts do have value to a certain extent. If they didn't, we wouldn't have them at all. I do think that your post count reflects your level of commitment to the board in general. It's a reflection that you care enough to engage others and contribute to the community as a whole.

To put it in very simple terms, this is an example of how I feel about the situation...

This post counted...
http://www.redskinswarpath.com/440502-post48.html

While this one didn't...
http://www.redskinswarpath.com/439472-post290.html

...and that makes me sad.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
Lady Brave
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You are absolutely correct LB. Great post.

If it's not about "credit" then why bother keeping post counts at all? Why do you "get credit" for any post, parking lot or not? A post is a post.
If the rep system is the benchmark to place value on members, then it should be deleted. It's a joke.
Then hit me up with some rep points J! I'm trying to break 100.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
Then hit me up with some rep points J! I'm trying to break 100.
Already did before you posted this.

Return rep points some day would be nice too.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Lady Brave
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Already did before you posted this.

Return rep points some day would be nice too.
Thanks man! You pushed me over the edge. I feel so much better now.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Why does should post count matter at all?

The rep system is just a way for people to provide feedback on posts. It's not some sort of caste system. People take this stuff way too seriously.

Besides, this is a Redskins forum in the end, right? So by that logic maybe we should just get rid of the parking lot altogether.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Why does should post count matter at all?

The rep system is just a way for people to provide feedback on posts. It's not some sort of caste system. People take this stuff way too seriously.

Besides, this is a Redskins forum in the end, right? So by that logic maybe we should just get rid of the parking lot altogether.

We cant get rid of the parking lot. It is a nice place to relax when you dont feel like talking about football all the time

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

I can name off the top of my head the people around here who I think are the most valuable members of the site. I can also name other very strong contributors. I can also name the people I feel are major detractors.

For example, CrazyCanuck is one of the very most valuable members/mods on this site, in my opinion. He's got about 700 posts, and almost no rep points. That means a hill of beans, he brings some of the most insightful information on here.

Then you have guys like JoeRedskin, who have been here forever but don't post that much on a per-day basis, but every single solitary post is well thought-out, insightful, and adds a lot to the site.

Then there are those (just a few of them, luckily) who shall remain nameless who post all the damn time and it's just nothing but mindless drivel.

I know who everyone is, and everyone else does too. Your reputation on this site is not measured by posts, join date, or rep points. It's measured by the value that you bring to the Warpath. So please get over the post counts, the rep points, all of it. It means nothing.

If you want to be rated/validated, just ask and I'll rate you. LadyBrave, you are a good member of this site. You have good football knowledge, express your opinions concisely, you write well, and you bring a unique female view to a lot of the parking lot political discussions. I'm glad you're here.

MRedskins, you've been on this site longer than me but you rarely post. When I do see you post, I have a positive impression. Don't worry about the post count.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I can name off the top of my head the people around here who I think are the most valuable members of the site. I can also name other very strong contributors. I can also name the people I feel are major detractors.

For example, CrazyCanuck is one of the very most valuable members/mods on this site, in my opinion. He's got about 700 posts, and almost no rep points. That means a hill of beans, he brings some of the most insightful information on here.

Then you have guys like JoeRedskin, who have been here forever but don't post that much on a per-day basis, but every single solitary post is well thought-out, insightful, and adds a lot to the site.

Then there are those (just a few of them, luckily) who shall remain nameless who post all the damn time and it's just nothing but mindless drivel.

I know who everyone is, and everyone else does too. Your reputation on this site is not measured by posts, join date, or rep points. It's measured by the value that you bring to the Warpath. So please get over the post counts, the rep points, all of it. It means nothing.

If you want to be rated/validated, just ask and I'll rate you. LadyBrave, you are a good member of this site. You have good football knowledge, express your opinions concisely, you write well, and you bring a unique female view to a lot of the parking lot political discussions. I'm glad you're here.

MRedskins, you've been on this site longer than me but you rarely post. When I do see you post, I have a positive impression. Don't worry about the post count.
Man if that whole post isn't a cry for some positive rep points, I don't know what is

Seriously though, I pretty much agree with all you've written here
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
djnemo65
Playmaker

I like the Redskins
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I like the Redskins
And there's Exhibit A, your honor
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #26
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I like the Redskins

I love Madden

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Man if that whole post isn't a cry for some positive rep points, I don't know what is

Seriously though, I pretty much agree with all you've written here
LOL

Well I guess I could name the folks who I think should get the heave-ho to balance things out, but then we'd just end up with a rehashing of past incidences, and nobody wants rehashed Schneed. Nobody. Not even Schneed himself.

That's right, my rep points are so high now that I refer to myself in the third person. WOOT, REP POINTS, WHAT?!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

After thinking on it further, I demand the following:

- That we count words per post. I want to be recognized for being the long-winded blowhard that I am.

- That we keep track of the number of times you're unnecessarily evil towards another poster. Leading the site in that category would be like that kid in school who has a black leather jacket, a motorcycle, and a three inch scar stretching down his cheek.

- That rep points be assigned based on how awesome each mod's April Fool's joke is. Which would naturally develop into a wicked competition.

I'm half serious about the third one!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
After thinking on it further, I demand the following:

- That we count words per post. I want to be recognized for being the long-winded blowhard that I am.

- That we keep track of the number of times you're unnecessarily evil towards another poster. Leading the site in that category would be like that kid in school who has a black leather jacket, a motorcycle, and a three inch scar stretching down his cheek.

- That rep points be assigned based on how awesome each mod's April Fool's joke is. Which would naturally develop into a wicked competition.

I'm half serious about the third one!
-GTripp would love that

-What about when you're necessarily evil?

-What are you talking about? Mods? April Fool's jokes? That's sooooo 2006
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #30
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Wow. I feel an incredible need to say something deep, witty and meaningful. But I have a headache, so it's unlikely. Thanks for the kind words.

When it comes to post counts, whatever. We all know who you are. As for rep points, its always nice to get'em for the posts you've put some work into, but, again, whatever.

Someone once said (I think it was SGG or Daseal) - "I just look to see who's posted to determine whether or not to read it". Ever since I heard that, I found my self doing the same thing.

This issue (or those similar to it) surfaces from time to time. Truth is, while it's nice to get feedback and feel appreciated, if you need that sort of thing, no accounting system will satisfy you.

My full dissertation on this issue will be posted after it has been submitted for an appropriate peer review.