I agree with all of this.
sorry to hear this.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Parkland Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm all for discussing how to keep people that have previously committed gun crimes and/or are evil and/or have mental health issues from getting guns. We also need to find, charge, and try people that make terroristic threats. Posting about shooting up a school is way worse to me than lots of things people go to jail for in this country. Those people who are found guilty either need to be sent to prison or a mandatory mental health facility.

I'm OK with raising the age to own guns to 21 as well. We have rights, but we also don't just give every right to every person at any age. There is a certain level of growth and maturity required for lots of things we do in America.

What I'm not OK with on any level, is banning any law abiding citizen of age from owning any type weapon they want. That is not right and un-American. So what if I don't "need" a semi-automatic gun. If I want one, that's my prerogative as an American under the constitution.
No it's not , I understand the pro gun NRA backers claim it is but at no point does the second Amendment say you have a God given right as an American to own a assault weapon.

U.S. Constitution - Second Amendment | Library of Congresshttps://constitution.congress.gov › amendment-2

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

By your definition every American has the right to own an Atomic Bomb if they want.

The Founder Fathers didn't recognize Women or Blacks so does the 2nd amendment include them, remember all they were talking about were rights of white property owning males ?At the time the Constitution was written the US Armed Forces as they do today ,so much for your Militia.

Your attitude assumes the Framers of the Constitution were always right but we know they weren't and we correct their wrongs, their mistakes. This has to be changed.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No it's not , I understand the pro gun NRA backers claim it is but at no point does the second Amendment say you have a God given right as an American to own a assault weapon.

U.S. Constitution - Second Amendment | Library of Congresshttps://constitution.congress.gov › amendment-2

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

By your definition every American has the right to own an Atomic Bomb if they want.

The Founder Fathers didn't recognize Women or Blacks so does the 2nd amendment include them, remember all they were talking about were rights of white property owning males ?At the time the Constitution was written the US Armed Forces as they do today ,so much for your Militia.

Your attitude assumes the Framers of the Constitution were always right but we know they weren't and we correct their wrongs, their mistakes. This has to be changed.

- You can twist "shall not be infringed" all you want to, but it doesn't change what it says. Shall not be infringed is as clear as day as to what it means. It means it shall not be infringed. So it literally says exactly what you're saying it doesn't.

- At a cost of around 28 million each (at minimum), I don't think this is a legitimate issue. But way to use the most ridiculous extreme example possible.

The Founder Fathers didn't recognize Women or Blacks so does the 2nd amendment include them, remember all they were talking about were rights of white property owning males? At the time the Constitution was written the US Armed Forces as they do today ,so much for your Militia.

- Is this a serious question? Again it says "the right of the people". It doesn't say the right of white men.

- Your attitide assumes they were always wrong and must be corrected. Which they actually put a process in place for anyways.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 05-30-2022 at 08:27 PM.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

- You can twist "shall not be infringed" all you want to, but it doesn't change what it says. Shall not be infringed is as clear as day as to what it means. It means it shall not be infringed. So it literally says exactly what you're saying it doesn't.

- At a cost of around 28 million each (at minimum), I don't think this is a legitimate issue. But way to use the most ridiculous extreme example possible.

The Founder Fathers didn't recognize Women or Blacks so does the 2nd amendment include them, remember all they were talking about were rights of white property owning males? At the time the Constitution was written the US Armed Forces as they do today ,so much for your Militia.

- Is this a serious question? Again it says "the right of the people". It doesn't say the right of white men.

- Your attitide assumes they were always wrong and must be corrected. Which they actually put a process in place for anyways.
1) Might be a ridiculous example but it makes my point and you can't refute it.
2)You're a smarter person then to try and pull of this "of the people" ,these white planation Owners never mentioned women or blacks in the constitution so you're telling me that even back then all blacks had the right to own guns, women had that right too? If true why did Lincoln have to stop slavery?
3)The Framers of the Constitution talked about what they knew and set it up to grow with the Country as it grew, they weren't wrong it's a living thing and they set it up to be changed as the Country did for the future not a fucking political football for gun nuts to hide behind.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:43 AM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
1) Might be a ridiculous example but it makes my point and you can't refute it.
2)You're a smarter person then to try and pull of this "of the people" ,these white planation Owners never mentioned women or blacks in the constitution so you're telling me that even back then all blacks had the right to own guns, women had that right too? If true why did Lincoln have to stop slavery?
3)The Framers of the Constitution talked about what they knew and set it up to grow with the Country as it grew, they weren't wrong it's a living thing and they set it up to be changed as the Country did for the future not a fucking political football for gun nuts to hide behind.
There is nothing to refute. You can't buy a nuclear bomb anywhere. And 99.99% of all Americans couldn't afford one even if they wanted to. This doesn't offer anything to a real conversation about gun laws in our country.

Again, you can twist the words all you want to fit your narrative. But it says what it says. And this is also irrelevant to having a real conversation about gun laws in our country. Obviously black, brown, neon green, purple, etc. Americans have the same rights to buy a gun as any white person. Same with women. No one I have ever heard argue for our 2nd amendment rights has ever mentioned that this right is only for white mean.

If you want to get rid of guns, get the Constitution amended. That is the process. If you can't do that, then you have to find other solutions.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Reading this back and forth is like listening to an argument between a Kindergartner and his teacher. One side makes perfect sense backed by facts and analysis, while the other side is sticking his tongue out going nanny nanny boo boo.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:25 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Texas Artist Made 19 Custom Caskets for Uvalde Shooting Victims
Old 06-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

How about we start with something along these lines?

Old 06-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #9
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

I'd be fine with that and I would add must be 21 to purchase.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ople-under-18/

CHICAGO (NewsNation) — The suspect in Tuesday’s massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school was a teenager, as most school shooters have been over the past decade.

Since 1999, seven in 10 school shootings have been carried out by people under the age of 18, when counting cases where the shooter’s age was recorded, The Washington Post reported. The median age of school shooters is 16.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd be fine with that and I would add must be 21 to purchase.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ople-under-18/

CHICAGO (NewsNation) — The suspect in Tuesday’s massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school was a teenager, as most school shooters have been over the past decade.

Since 1999, seven in 10 school shootings have been carried out by people under the age of 18, when counting cases where the shooter’s age was recorded, The Washington Post reported. The median age of school shooters is 16.
^yep

This is the best case to raise the age of owning a semi-automatic rifle to 20 or 21.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

If you make folks jump through these regulations hoops then you must without question bring the hammer down on folks who circumvent this process who possess a firearm illegally with mandatory 1-2 year federal sentences per weapon.

You can’t simply puts that up there and then say to those who go against it walk under any circumstance. Any local or state DA who refuses, federal prosecutors take the charge make it a federal case and throw the book at the offenders.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #12
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

^^^^^

I am absolutely fine with reasonable requirements to obtain a gun. There would need to be an appeals process in place though, for anyone denied the right to own a gun based on a background check.

My issue always comes down to the guns themselves. I don't trust the government to stop at AR-15 type weapons (Biden already slipped up this week talking about bullets that are used in certain handguns) even if I was Ok with those being banned (I'm not), or want the government telling me what I need or don't need. America isn't founded on the government allowing us only to have what they deem we need. We have the freedom to get what we want.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

Quote:
^^^^^

I am absolutely fine with reasonable requirements to obtain a gun. There would need to be an appeals process in place though, for anyone denied the right to own a gun based on a background check.

My issue always comes down to the guns themselves. I don't trust the government to stop at AR-15 type weapons (Biden already slipped up this week talking about bullets that are used in certain handguns) even if I was Ok with those being banned (I'm not), or want the government telling me what I need or don't need. America isn't founded on the government allowing us only to have what they deem we need. We have the freedom to get what we want.
Except when it comes to abortions right? What about drugs?

Is there any reason why an average person needs an AR-15?
Old 06-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #14
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Except when it comes to abortions right? What about drugs?

Is there any reason why an average person needs an AR-15?
I believe that life begins at conception. We do not have a right to infringe on another person's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. My rights end where yours begin. So being against abortion and pro-second amendment are not conflicting beliefs imo.

I am for legalizing drugs.

If people enjoy shooting, they need a gun they like to shoot. And I don't care if they need one or not. Being an American and wanting one is good enough reason for me. If we outlawed all things we don't "need" that could be harmful, then throw out all your bacon, your burgers, your pasta, your beer, your spirits, I meant this list can go on and on.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I believe that life begins at conception. We do not have a right to infringe on another person's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. My rights end where yours begin. So being against abortion and pro-second amendment are not conflicting beliefs imo.

I am for legalizing drugs.

If people enjoy shooting, they need a gun they like to shoot. And I don't care if they need one or not. Being an American and wanting one is good enough reason for me. If we outlawed all things we don't "need" that could be harmful, then throw out all your bacon, your burgers, your pasta, your beer, your spirits, I meant this list can go on and on.
I think you are confusing harmful and deadly.

Good luck mowing down a elementary school with a cheeseburger.

Plus your harmful list are things i choose or the user chooses to harm themselves with. Unless the user is using the AR 15 to kill themselves their "harmful/deadly" "need" only harms others that didn't choose to be harmed.