Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Anybody interested in Rugby here?

Other Sports

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Anybody interested in Rugby here?

Since I was born in Toulouse, France, the best rugby team in europe, I played rugby for 5 years and I'm a big fan of the Stade Toulousain.
With the world cup coming up in September and if anybody like this sport or would like to learn more about it's f###ing complicated rules, I'll be glad to talk about Rugby!!!

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Anybody interested in Rugby here?

I suspect a lot of people probably get confused with the differences among rugby league, rugby union and aussie rules football
Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I had a few friends that played in college and I always kind of wish I had too. Then again, considering I had at least five concussions by the time I was 18 it's probably a good thing I didn't.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

Rugby was big at one of my colleges, I was friends with a lot of them (good friends to have on your side if you weren't in a frat) and they always tried to get me to come out and play, but they were some odd dudes when it came to their rugby parties. They always ended up naked and shooting the boot, or worse.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

It is played at quite a few High Schools in this area...interesting as I have watched a game or two. If you want different, check out a Cricket match some time.....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Rugby was big at one of my colleges, I was friends with a lot of them (good friends to have on your side if you weren't in a frat) and they always tried to get me to come out and play, but they were some odd dudes when it came to their rugby parties. They always ended up naked and shooting the boot, or worse.
Yeah my roommates were the co-captains of the rugby team. Quite the group of people. I played once or twice. I was our Brandon Banks...my job was to run as fast and as far as possible
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
yeah, maybe the most important rule in Rugby: THE THIRD HALF TIME!!! big party with popular songs (about guys trying to put they winner were they shouldn't, usually).
No seriously, I'd said football's basic principle is a bit complicated and the rules are simple, on the other hand, rugby's basic principle is very simple and the rules to keep that principle a reality in the game are complicated.
But the main difference is that in Rugby you have to keep the two team face to face and if you want to score you have to go through (or avoid) the other team, and passes have to be made backward. Pretty simple, the matter is the rules constantly evolve and we are at a point where speakers often don't say why the referee whistled... because they don't exactly know.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
yeah, maybe the most important rule in Rugby: THE THIRD HALF TIME!!! big party with popular songs (about guys trying to put they winner were they shouldn't, usually).
No seriously, I'd said football's basic principle is a bit complicated and the rules are simple, on the other hand, rugby's basic principle is very simple and the rules to keep that principle a reality in the game are complicated.
But the main difference is that in Rugby you have to keep the two team face to face and if you want to score you have to go through (or avoid) the other team, and passes have to be made backward. Pretty simple, the matter is the rules constantly evolve and we are at a point where speakers often don't say why the referee whistled... because they don't exactly know.
I find this really interesting because my biggest beef with soccer is that the rules seem so out-dated to me. Like why can't they just stop the clock when the ball goes out or a player is injured? And why only have one ref actually on the field?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I find this really interesting because my biggest beef with soccer is that the rules seem so out-dated to me. Like why can't they just stop the clock when the ball goes out or a player is injured? And why only have one ref actually on the field?
Rules evolution brought some good and some bad things to Rugby.
One of the really good things is the possibility for referees to have a look at the video replay when they're not sure if the player scored or not (quite recent, maybe 5 or 6 years).
One of the really bad things is in the area of the ruck (when there's a bunch of players piling up) the referee can whistle pretty much anytime he want's because a clean ruck doesn't exist, while a few years ago referees whistled in a ruck only when there was a clear fault or a clear intention to pollute the game.