The runners thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #121
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Not a runner here, never really have been... but thought I'd pick it up cause I'm just dying in my weekly pickup basketball game. I mean, I'm not even playing defense anymore and thats just bush.

I'm trying to run at least one mile every day for sixty days. I'll run a little more on nicer days, and would ideally like to train for a half marathon, thought it would be a good way to build my endurance up a bit.

Any suggestions on running gear? Is their any particular shoes worth getting over others (i've seen those foot shoes or whatever)? Thanks in advance.
I got some New Balance bottom end running shoes and they work great. Got them onsale for like $60.

I would suggest Run Keeper phone app too. Free and keeps you stats.

Lastly I would suggest finding a good route(s). Parks and local school tracks work for me.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #122
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Not a runner here, never really have been... but thought I'd pick it up cause I'm just dying in my weekly pickup basketball game. I mean, I'm not even playing defense anymore and thats just bush.

I'm trying to run at least one mile every day for sixty days. I'll run a little more on nicer days, and would ideally like to train for a half marathon, thought it would be a good way to build my endurance up a bit.

Any suggestions on running gear? Is their any particular shoes worth getting over others (i've seen those foot shoes or whatever)? Thanks in advance.
Rob I noticed you lived in moco. There are tons of great running stores around you. I would head into one and do a gait analysis and get into a proper pair of shoes. While going to dsw or a kohls can get you a cheap pair of athletic shoes the styles they sell are general trainers and not designed for mileage. You will find true running shoes cost the same whether you go to a specialty or a dick's.
P.S. I work at Charm City Run in timonium on Wednesday nights and would be more than happy to help you out!
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #123
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Some good info here!
The right shoes EVEN if they cost a few bucks are the most important tool a runner can have. AND CHico is right they're are tons of good parks and tracks to be had to run on. Better on your feet and joints to run on surfaces that are not....concrete, asphalt....etc. AND it is far more interesting to run in parks....bike trails....nature trails. I used to reserve tracks for "late NIght" runs when I could not get it done any sooner......boring. You won't stick with it if you are bored to death.
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if you are really doing this for basketball stamina, it will be most helpful to that end to sprinkle in a righteous portion of Suicides....wind sprints, etc
.........enjoy
I think it was FRPLG, but whoever is right. You should be able to add at least a mile a month or more (don't get crazy with it)and you will find that it will begin to increase exponentially after 5 miles or so. After you can do 10....you can basically run crazy distances.........

Last edited by Hog1; 01-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #124
FRPLG
MVP

Once you get up towards 10 miles the challenge isn't physical but mental. I have never finished a race or run (of greater than say 7 mikes), no matter what the pace, that left me feeling I couldn't go another mile. Once your body can go a legit distance...it can do any reasonable legit distance. Just becomes a battle in your head. But...it is not a good idea to add more than say 10ish% total mileage a week.

If you shoot for 1 mile a day, every other day, you should add say a 1/4 mile to every other run the second week and then 1/4 to the other runs the third week.

Week 1
M - 1
W - 1
F - 1

Week 2
M - 1.25
W - 1
F - 1.25

Week 3
M - 1.25
W - 1.25
F - 1.25

Week 4
M - 1.5
W - 1.25
F - 1.5

That gives you 3 miles in week one and by the end of week 4 you're at 4.25.

Listen to your legs...pain is bad...sore and tired is fine. There's a difference. Ice your knees religiously after runs...you'll thank me for that one. When I got back into running after taking 10+ years off I spent a year building a base of about 30 miles a week. I iced religiously...now I don't have to ice. My legs and body have gotten used to the running and adjusted physiologically to handle it. It takes a year.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote