Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Roy Williams = dirty tackler

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Roy Williams = dirty tackler

Did anyone notice he's still dragging people down by the collar this year? What was the point of the horse collar rule being put in to place? Portis injured his lower back when Williams yanked him down like that on the sideline, and after watching the highlights of the game I noticed Williams had at least two tackles like that on Portis.

I think they really need to look at the rule again this offseason... has anyone actually seen it called this season??

There seems to be this vague interpretation of what a horse collar actually is, I say if you grab the back of the shoulder pads around the collar area it should be a penalty, period.

What do you guys think?

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Roy Williams = dirty tackler

I agree. He bent Portis over backwards. That can cause some serious spinal injury.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
scowan
The Starter

I guess because I am aware of the rule, I have noticed that kind of tackling more this year than ever before. Hasn't that kind of tackling always been around, or is it a new way for guys to make a tackle? I can't remember if guys have aways tackled like that or not. I guess when you are chasing someone, you don't have a lot of options for ways to bring him down.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
djnemo65
Playmaker

I know, I was furious about this. I mean, they changed the rule primarily because of the way this one guy tackles, he's doing the tackle blatantly, and they aren't calling it.

Maybe I'm confused about the exact language of the rule, but it seems like it still happens as much as ever and doesn't really seem to get called much.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
BrudLee
Playmaker

The rule was created because of the injury to Terrell Owens last year by... Roy Williams. Williams also injured Tyrone Calico in a preseason game, and Musa Smith of the Ravens last year, ending his season.

I have a feeling that unless there is an injury, the rule won't be enforced. As it is written, it's OK to grab the back of the shoulder pads, you just can't yank down. That grey area allows a lot of wiggle room in the implementation of penalty. More likely, the players may be fined after games, rather than punished during them.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Did anyone notice he's still dragging people down by the collar this year? What was the point of the horse collar rule being put in to place? Portis injured his lower back when Williams yanked him down like that on the sideline, and after watching the highlights of the game I noticed Williams had at least two tackles like that on Portis.

I think they really need to look at the rule again this offseason... has anyone actually seen it called this season??

There seems to be this vague interpretation of what a horse collar actually is, I say if you grab the back of the shoulder pads around the collar area it should be a penalty, period.

What do you guys think?
I agree his tackle on Portis was pretty dirty and I was waiting for the horse-collar call too. The explanation Joe Buck and Troy Aikman gave was that Williams had to grab inside Portis' shoulder pads in order for it to be a horse-collar. I guess Williams had the jersey and part of the pads but his hand wasn't actually inside.

They also said that even if the defenders hands is inside the pads that the motion has to be pretty quick - in other words if Portis drags Williams along for a few yards it isn't a penalty - Portis would have to get yanked back pretty abruptly.

Seems like alot of splitting of hairs to me...oh well, football is a rough game.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
cpayne5
Playmaker

I saw a segment with Mike Pereira (NFL's head of officiating), and he explained the rule.

Two things have to happen for a flag to be thrown.
* the defender gets his hand inside of the pads
* the defender immediately yanks the offensive player down

That tackle on Portis literally happened right in front of me and I was screaming and yelling for a flag to be thrown, but the way the rule reads, it was the correct call, I'm affraid.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i also noticed that almost every tackle roy williams makes is from behind. he is a dirty player, whether that exact style of pulling him down is illegal or not. it can seriously hurt someone, and we are lucky that portis' legs didnt get caught under him.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
5RINGS
Closet Redskins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
I saw a segment with Mike Pereira (NFL's head of officiating), and he explained the rule.

That tackle on Portis literally happened right in front of me and I was screaming and yelling for a flag to be thrown, but the way the rule reads, it was the correct call, I'm affraid.
Exactly right,

as the rule is currently written, it was not a penalty. He didn't even bend him backwards, he bent him sideways.

Whatever, did you want to win by 42 points?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RINGS
Yes! That would have been even better!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Would you have wanted to?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Exactly right,

as the rule is currently written, it was not a penalty. He didn't even bend him backwards, he bent him sideways.

Yes it was called correctly, I'm just debating as to whether the rule needs to be revised.

I'm concerned about seeing our franchise back being injured by a shady tackle, that's all.

Whatever happened to going for the legs or wrapping up a guy, Williams is constantly dragging people down by the collar.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
dmek25
MVP

i saw this called once this season.what happened sunday was called correctly because by rule,portis was not pulled down by his PADS.i for one,think this rule is ridiculous and just want football to be football.by the way,we need to move on to the BIGGEST GAME of the year,which happens saturday in our own back yard.if we win saturday,i will be making a trip down 95 to see the skins wrap up the division in philly(our home away from home)
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #14
D'BOYZ
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5

Exactly this is what I was going to post according to the rule those both things need to happen and neither happend Williams grab the Jersey and didn't immediately yank Portis he ran a few yards before being tackle.

And NO it hasn't been called all season long after players new what needed to happen they just changed they why they do the tackle by doing it like Roy Williams did, and yes this type of Tackle has existed for as long as I can remmember.

It's just that now we all put more attention to it because of the rule
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
saden1
MVP

I would have like to have seen Gibbs tell Sean Taylor to line up on offense and lay the smack-down on Williams.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote