Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Taylor Jacobs

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
EEich
The Starter

Taylor Jacobs

So... what happened to the big breakout season everyone was expecting?
2 catches for 33 yards? Not very impressive.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Southpaw
The Starter

Re: Tyler Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich
So... what happened to the big breakout season everyone was expecting?
Yeah, I don't quite understand the love for Taylor Jacobs. He has 21 catches in the three years he's been with Washington. Plus, he's apparently made of glass. And yet, everyone hated McCants, who was picked deeper in the draft, made less money, and was far more productive.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
ST21
Impact Rookie

Re: Taylor Jacobs

well.....he's playing behind Santana, Patten, plus hes the 4th receiver on the team..... he's still here so someone on the Staff know something we dont
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

The difference is that McCants had a poor work ethic in practice, according to the coaching staff, and didn't want to play special teams. He's not exactly tearing it up in Philly either.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

I think it's just a numbers game at this point. Thrash is the solid #3 and Patten is #2 for whatever reason.

Down the stretch I'd like to see Jacobs get more work, but obviously the coaches feel more comfortable with Patten and Thrash ahead of him right now... probably because of the veteran factor.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
The difference is that McCants had a poor work ethic in practice, according to the coaching staff, and didn't want to play special teams. He's not exactly tearing it up in Philly either.
Seriously, he's a weekly cut in Philly.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I personally would LOVE to see what Jacobs can do. Many CBs say he's a great receiver. Champ said he could be the best on our team. Rogers said he was the hardest receiver he ever covered in college, etc. However, if we look at the stats for this year, what WR besides Moss really gets anything as far as catches and yards go? Most of our throws are going to Moss, Cooley, Sellers, Royal, and Portis. The #2, #3, and #4 receivers really have been used sparingly.

That said, what happened to Sean Taylor as a WR at the goal line. One thing to say: 41 inch vertical.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
firstdown
Living Legend

Maybe we could trade him to the Eagles. I hear they are looking for a WR. He could be reunited with his buddy Mccan't.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
scowan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I personally would LOVE to see what Jacobs can do. Many CBs say he's a great receiver. Champ said he could be the best on our team. Rogers said he was the hardest receiver he ever covered in college, etc. However, if we look at the stats for this year, what WR besides Moss really gets anything as far as catches and yards go? Most of our throws are going to Moss, Cooley, Sellers, Royal, and Portis. The #2, #3, and #4 receivers really have been used sparingly.

That said, what happened to Sean Taylor as a WR at the goal line. One thing to say: 41 inch vertical.
Daseal, you have said it all right here. After Brunell looks at Moss and then Cooley, Patten's route is over and he dumps to Portis or Sellers. It is a little strange, because during the last and most sucessful Gibbs team (year 1991) Monk, Clark, and Sanders all had big years. The TE or H-B did not do much back then.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I personally would LOVE to see what Jacobs can do. Many CBs say he's a great receiver. Champ said he could be the best on our team. Rogers said he was the hardest receiver he ever covered in college, etc.
The only thing is, it seems that any time he gets substantial game time, he gets hurt. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him become what everyone claims he is, but it bothers me that he's been on the roster, collecting a pay check for three years, and produced basically nothing.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
GoSkins!
The Starter

The mantra of this coaching staff is that you have to earn your way back. He was hurt in preseason, lost his job (at least he was competing for a number two or three), and now has to earn it back over Patten or Thrash. Sounds a whole lot like another guy we all know on the defense...
Old 11-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #12
jdlea
Playmaker

Southpaw's right, I'm surprised he keeps making the team. He's always hurt in the preseason and his potential, unrealized as it may be, gets him onto the team. I would have liked to have seen Kevin Farris on the team ahead of him. Farris had a good preseason and I really didn't see much from Jacobs, he just keeps making the team because he "could" be a good receiver. At what point does the coaching staff decide that he either becomes a good receiver or becomes a free agent.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I am satisfied with our recievers for right now. Next year I would love for us to make a serious run for Brandon Lloyd of the 49ers, he'll be a free agent.Release Jacobs and draft Santana's bro.

If that rumor of Ramsey to the Jets is true, that would be awesome for our defense and would plug some holes in our front four. then I'd spend the rest of the draft on depth at key positions. I'd also cut walt Harris ~ he sucks!

Jacobs doesn't get the playing time to develop into something of value
Old 11-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
jdlea
Playmaker

If the Jets trade John Abraham for Patrick Ramsey, they're on crack. I think the world of Patrick Ramsey, but Abraham, short of his operation shutdown in the playoffs, was one of the best pass rushers in the league last year. I don't see the Skins acquiring him for their backup quarterback.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan
Daseal, you have said it all right here. After Brunell looks at Moss and then Cooley, Patten's route is over and he dumps to Portis or Sellers. It is a little strange, because during the last and most sucessful Gibbs team (year 1991) Monk, Clark, and Sanders all had big years. The TE or H-B did not do much back then.
Thing is we never had an h-back like Cooley back then.

He's proving to be a very valuable weapon. As Tony McGee said, you're #2 threat doesn't always have to be the #2 WR. In our system right now it's Cooley.