Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skinsguy's Midseason Assessment

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Skinsguy's Midseason Assessment

Okay, I gotta say that I am very happy to be at 5-3 right now! I still think we should be at least 6-2, but I have confidence that we'll pick up our sixth win this weekend in Tampa. Speaking of confidence, how does it feel to have confidence in knowing this team is capable of beating most anybody in this league? With the exception of the fluke a couple weeks ago in the Meadowlands, I think this team has proven that they can match up against anybody, and the team is capable of beating anybody so as long as we don't beat ourselves with turnovers and stupid penalities.

Speaking of stupid turnovers and penalities, those two things are probably the reason why we're not 7-1 right now. We still have to eliminate the dumb penalities and most definitely those turnovers. I believe the reason why we won a close one against Philly is because we kept the turnovers down (I think we turned the ball over once,) and the other times we coughed up the ball, we were able to recover it. Now, I'm fine with us having the occasional fumble so as long as we recover it, but we could have had three giveaways in that game easily - which probably would have resulted in an Eagles victory. On the other hand, if we hadn't turned the ball over once, then the game probably wouldn't have come down to that defensive stop.

As for penalities. We're going to get the ocassional holding call or false start penality. Every team gets thoses....they're darn near impossible to eliminate completely. We can eliminate unsportsman like conduct fouls and other 15 yard variety calls as well. Late hits and so forth are also unacceptable. It's all about playing smart and I believe the Redskins are a smart football team, but sometimes a few of them can commit the most ignorant mistakes with penalities.

Portis hasn't put up the big numbers nor has he been the home run threat. However, he's been a team player and appears to be a core Redskins player. He is doing whatever is asked of him. The guy is playing injuried as well...so that certainly can be a factor in his "homerun" ability. I personally am glad to have Portis on our team, but I realize until he starts breaking a home run TD at least once in every game, there is always going to be fans who don't appreciate Clinton Portis.

I am happy that the Lavar Arrington situation is over with. He admitted that the coaches were right all along, and that he was wrong. He is slowly getting back to the Lavar Arrington that has won trips to the pro bowl. I think he's really going to help us in our run stop defense - which had been a little suspect in recent weeks.

Finally, what can I say about Brunell to Moss? All of us buried Mark Brunell, and even after the Dallas game he had alot to prove to us. But, he has all made us eat crow. I honestly don't believe we have had such a trustworthy veteran QB in a long, long time. I certainly hope he keeps it up! As for Santana Moss. Alot of us certainly doubted him before the season. I seem to remember the rumors of Moss being flimpsy and not as tough as L. Coles. He's proven us all so very wrong! Not only can he take the hit and get right back up (see Philly game for example,) but he has proven to be the home run, #1 goto receiver that nobody felt he was worthy of being.

To sum up, this team has drastically improved from a year ago. Every game, they appear to take another step forward. They still have a ways to go if they're going to make it up to elite status, but for us Gibbs fanatics are finally starting to feel the confort and confidence that we had with this team back in Gibbs 1.0. Let's just hope going 6-3 after Tampa Bay will keep that confidence going!

Hail.

Advertisements
Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Skinsguy's Midseason Assessment

I don't really think penalties have been a big problem for us this year... I think on again off again poor tackling has hurt us more as well as the lack of pressure (good pass rushers can end up with 6+ FFs a year besides causing errant throws). Hopefully we can hore up the tackling though, cause the line is what it is and there's no fixing it this season.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
dmek25
MVP

i think the biggest difference between this years team and teams of past(i know this will sound stupid)but we actually look like an nfl team.there were times the last couple of years (mostly under the ole ball coach)that i thought the skins were so unorganized and chaotic that they looked like a semi pro team
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
VTSkins897
Impact Rookie

yeah i think if we start forcing some turnovers in the 2nd half we'll be more than fine. it always seemed to me that GW's D was at least decent at that. i think we've just gotten some bad rolls etc. maybe a little pressure from the dline would help but we'll see huh. we need griffin back in there.
VTSkins897 is offline   Reply With Quote