Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs: "We had a really good draft!"

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Gibbs: "We had a really good draft!"

I was watching the NFL Network this evening and they had Joe Gibbs on Redskins' cam. Joe was talking about how the Redskins really had a great draft and how well they did in this draft. Watching that interview and remembering reading all the negative stuff by alot of fans here, I was quite amused!

After thinking about it, I think Gibbs is right. We got a cornerback to replace Smoot (hopefully), we hopefully have added some depth to the linebacker position, and we've added some depth at the fullback position. I know we (including myself) felt that WR was a priority position like CB, but going on the assumption that the contract thing works out okay with Moss and he stays relatively healthy, I think we have a good group of receivers to choose from. Patton, from what I have heard from Pats fans, appears to be a good find for us, Thrash proved to be a hard worker, Talyor Jacobs may have a real shot at proving himself this year....maybe we don't necessarily need a wide receiver. It's one of those things that we will find out when the season starts.

I think we have addressed alot of areas we need to address through the draft. It will be nice to have a big fullback in on third and short or goal line.....we didn't have that this past season. If we did...things could have been quite different.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Re: Gibbs: "We had a really good draft!"

Did he say anything about the Campbell drafting; and what that means for the Skins future?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Did he say anything about the Campbell drafting; and what that means for the Skins future?

Yeah he said that Campbell was a player they felt was too good to pass up on and felt he can be a long term Redskin for us. Gibbs spoke highly of Campbell's size and ability to use his legs to get out of trouble. Gibbs emphasized, however, that Ramsey is the guy now to lead us to championships.

This also reminds me of when the Skins drafted Rypien back around 1987 I believe. Doug Williams was our guy, but Rypien was being groomed for our future. Once Rypien became our guy, Gibbs went out and drafted Stan Humphries to be groomed as Rypien's replacement if something happened to Mark. If you think about through Gibbs' first tenure, we really shouldn't be surprised by the acquisition of Chris Campbell. Gibbs expects Campbell to learn from Ramsey and Brunell. Joe also expects Ramsey to be our guy for the next few years and when it's time for Ramsey to step down or if he decides to go to a new team, we will have a fairly young guy who knows the system that we can just plug in!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
Yeah he said that Campbell was a player they felt was too good to pass up on and felt he can be a long term Redskin for us. Gibbs spoke highly of Campbell's size and ability to use his legs to get out of trouble. Gibbs emphasized, however, that Ramsey is the guy now to lead us to championships.

This also reminds me of when the Skins drafted Rypien back around 1987 I believe. Doug Williams was our guy, but Rypien was being groomed for our future. Once Rypien became our guy, Gibbs went out and drafted Stan Humphries to be groomed as Rypien's replacement if something happened to Mark. If you think about through Gibbs' first tenure, we really shouldn't be surprised by the acquisition of Chris Campbell. Gibbs expects Campbell to learn from Ramsey and Brunell. Joe also expects Ramsey to be our guy for the next few years and when it's time for Ramsey to step down or if he decides to go to a new team, we will have a fairly young guy who knows the system that we can just plug in!
See the difference back then was that we were continually a playoff team year in and year out and really didnt have to draft young guys because we already had a good enough team to compete. Now we dont have that type of team right now, so my problem is that we cant be wasting picks on players that can help us now; to groom someone for the future. Who knows, I'm not totaly blown away by the pick, but I'm still having a hard time liking it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
See the difference back then was that we were continually a playoff team year in and year out and really didnt have to draft young guys because we already had a good enough team to compete. Now we dont have that type of team right now, so my problem is that we cant be wasting picks on players that can help us now; to groom someone for the future. Who knows, I'm not totaly blown away by the pick, but I'm still having a hard time liking it.

Well, you gotta understand the reason why we WERE good back then.Two reasons: We had depth in key positions and we had good character players. I believe things were quicker for us in the early part of Gibbs' first tenure because he had the components mostly in place in the beginning.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy

Actually it was 86 and he was a 6th rd pick and in 88 BEATHARD who drafted Rypien then drafted Humphries who also was a 6th rd pick, you see we drafted 2 project QB's in the 6th rd we didn't give up the following years draft for a QB to groom for 3 or 4 years, and that was before the salary cap, it's even more unrealistic now to draft a QB in the first rd and have him ride the pine for 3 years, and it will be longer than that once Ramsey solidifies the starting position.

It's a dumb move now, and in 3 years it will look even dumber. But we will have to wait for that to happen, but it will! Infact it will probably start the end of next season when draft time starts and we start looking at our need and remember again we can't address them because we have no draft, not that we would ever address a need with the draft.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

This also reminds me of when the Skins drafted Rypien back around 1987 I believe. Doug Williams was our guy, but Rypien was being groomed for our future. Once Rypien became our guy, Gibbs went out and drafted Stan Humphries to be groomed as Rypien's replacement if something happened to Mark.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Sorry about the redundancy of the last post, I accidently quoted from Skinsfan without adding my own two cents.

I meant to say that I find the argument that Campbell was a "value pick" more than a bit disingenuous. It is not as if the Redskins were just sitting their at #25 and Campbell happened to slip to them. They traded up - and gave up quite a bit - to move into position and did so with the goal of nabbing Campbell. If they want to say that he is their guy and they just had to have him that is fine, but don't insult us all by calling it a "value pick." Also, before we go comparing the move to the aquisitions of Rypien and Humphries during Gibbs' first tenure, I would remind everyone that each of those quarterbacks were taken in the 6th Round and hardly constituted the kind of commitment that the Skins have just made to Jason Campbell.

I do think, though, that Skinsfan makes a good point by mentioning Taylor Jacobs. When he came out a few years ago many mock drafts had the Skins taking him at #13 before they dealt the pick for Coles. Obviously those predictions had something to do with Spurriers penchant for picking former Gators and other NFL teams did not think highly enough of him to snatch him up before the Redskins took him at #42, but he at least showed enough talent in college for some to think about him being a #1 pick. If he could have some sort of breakout season that would be terrific, and I would even settle for a half decent effort. I think I remember hearing someone, maybe Joe Bugel, praising his talent last season, so maybe something is there - though he certainly has not shown it on the field thus far in his career.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
jamf
Pro Bowl

we did add some players that should contribute.

but the problem most people have is they gave too much to get what they got.

its hard enough to stomach drafting campbell then you realize they gave up next years first and 4th(or 3rd i forget) and this years 5th round picks.
they traded away 3 solid picks for a reserve player!!!

the redskins have been overpaying for everything.
i dont mean just money either. they gave an extra pick for the portis bailey deal.
lost a pick to get morton(and overpayed). gave away too much for the 25th pick this year(didnt even get a player that will help the team this year). they gave a 1st round pick for coles(wasted pick in hindsight).

the skins didnt get one single linemen in this years draft!!!
the redskins have been in decline since they ran casserly out of town. we have no core players despite what gibbs says.

all year we heard about how the line wasnt giving brunell enough time and the dline wasnt getting pressure without blitzing so the best thing to do is draft a quaterback and not draft any linemen... :vomit-smi
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #10
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf
the skins didnt get one single linemen in this years draft!!!
the redskins have been in decline since they ran casserly out of town. we have no core players despite what gibbs says.
I disagree about the Redskins not having any "core" players. Not to be a jerk or come off as an ass, but did you watch any of the draft when they were talking with Jensen, Green, and some LB from NE? They were asked about when Randy Moss walked off the field, and the LB from NE said that it was no big deal, and I thought that Jensen was going to come unglued on the guy!! It was pretty good, but I would have to say that there is no guy in DC right now that wants to win more than Jensen and he would be the first guy on the "CORE" Redskins group.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:57 PM   #11
huntz
Special Teams

From what I saw from Jensen on espn, thought he did a good job. He's got the knack to be a broadcaster when he gives it up someday.
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:00 PM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think we did a good job drafting - besides the first rounds. Though we got two good players, I think we should have used the picks in a different fashion.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #13
jrocx69
Special Teams

i absolutely loved our draft although i dont think we carry a FB position to comment on skinsguy post, i think white jr. will be a TE and broughton will be a RB leaving rock out. but i love our lb picks and the rb/te/fb picks. white, broughton and mccune are all fast, athletic, and big. im loving it
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

There's no sense in worrying about next year's draft when none of us know what deals might be struck between now and then.

We added a new center and we're getting Jansen back. The two hopefully will improve our offensive line quite a bit.

What proof do you have that we have no core players?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

skinsguy:

When Rypien was drafted to prepare to take over from Williams, Doug had been in the league for a while. He wasn't someone emerging as a QB; I think he'd been our of college for about 10 years. So, if Ramsey is really "the guy" and really has a great future in the league, then he ought to be around for the next 10 years or so. Now I believe in adding depth as much as anyone here, but if you REALLY think you have your QB for the next decade already on your roster, you don't spend a first round pick on a QB.

You forgot to mention how drafting Humphires turned out here. Gibbs and company ran him out of town and his success came in San Diego. And after Humphries they drafted Cary Conklin and he too got run out of town because he would not/could not fit into the program. So even if I give you Rypien as a smart draft choice - as opposed to a none-year wonder - how about those other two guys? How do they support you in your optimism?

Compare the Skins draft to the to the Colts, Eagles, Pats, Steelers, Falcons, Jets, Texans for a moment. They each have QBs on their squads who project to be "the man" for the next 5 years at least - barring a major injury. Now, what did those teams do with draft picks for the QB position over the weekend? I can't rattle off their picks in the first couple of rounds without cheating and going to ESPN.com to look, but I don't remember any QBs going there early on in the draft. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Of course, you are free to imagine that everyone the Skins brought in here in the off-season will immediately commence to play like Hall of Famers. Not likely, but you can imagine it if you want and then Gibbs' comments about having a good draft is easily understandable. The Redskins' WRs were mediocre last year and have not improved in the off season.

You can charaterize Thrash as a hard working and dedicated player and you'd be absolutely right. He just isn't in the top 50 recievers in the NFL no matter how hard he works.

You can hope that Taylor Jacobs is a flower just about to emerge from its bud. It could happen. But since he has been in the NFL, he hasnt accomplished "jack-sh*t".

Go back one year in time and tell me honestly that if anyone had suggested an even-up trade of LC for S. Moss you would have thought that was a great idea. You would have been the only person on the planet to have thought that way.

The biggest problem with this draft is that way too many picks were traded away - for Portis last year and to move up to draft Campbell. The team is not one or two players away from a Super Bowl' They need bodies. They traded away picks to take one player (Campbell) who will sit for most of the year next year and maybe most of the year after that. If Campbell has to start and/or play the majority of 10 games this season, here is a phrase you might well be hearing come December:

The Washington Redskins are on the clock...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote