Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Question: why isn't Gary Clark in the HOF?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Question: why isn't Gary Clark in the HOF?

I looked at Gary's career stats and compared them to that of Michael Irvin. Both have slightly over 15.0 yards a catch. Both Clark and Irvin are tied for the same amount of TDs(65). Irvin has only 51 more career receptions than Clark and Gary Clark trailed Michael Irvin by only 1,048 career receiving yards. They both have over 10,000 yards receiving. Irvin has 3 SB rings and Clark has 2. People will argue that while Gary Clark had an significant impact in the games that he played, Michael Irvin had even more of an impact. But still......Gary Clark should be in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: Question: why isn't Gary Clark in the HOF?

I have been saying that for years. I think that he had his stats in essentially less games than Irvin as well, without someone like Aikman throwing him the pigskin.

He was the most fearless receiver I ever saw, and very rarely dropped balls. Played bigger than he was, and he had great routes and some speed. He deserves to be in, only for the fact that he was one of basically three equal receivers in the Posse, did not have an all pro QB ever, was in a run first offense, and still put up hall of fame numbers. Was NEVER scared to go over the middle. He has always been my favorite redskin. I think we should have a posse avatar, if not a gary clark one as well.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
hagams
Impact Rookie

London Fletcher vs. Ray Lewis, the 90's version?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I believe one of Peter King's argument against Art Monk being in the HOF was that Clark was the most relevant receiver.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Agreed, we have a lot of overlooked players like Clark and all of the Hogs not yet in the HOF.

This happens because it seems lately, those players with media jobs after playing are getting in sooner than they should. Irvin, Cris Carter, Sapp, Deion Sanders...they were great players but they all got in before more-deserving players who came before them and are still getting snubbed like Clark, Theismann, Simms, Isaac Bruce, Bettis, Ricky Watters, Tim Brown, Haley, Atwater, Andre Reed, LC Greenwood, Mecklenberg, Lester Hayes...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Agreed, we have a lot of overlooked players like Clark and all of the Hogs not yet in the HOF.

This happens because it seems lately, those players with media jobs after playing are getting in sooner than they should. Irvin, Cris Carter, Sapp, Deion Sanders...they were great players but they all got in before more-deserving players who came before them and are still getting snubbed like Clark, Theismann, Simms, Isaac Bruce, Bettis, Ricky Watters, Tim Brown, Haley, Atwater, Andre Reed, LC Greenwood, Mecklenberg, Lester Hayes...
Simms,Theismann and Watters are simply not HOF players. Gary Clark was a damn good player but I would put him a little under the fence. What hurts Clark is he played next to Art Monk and then he was in the USFL for a couple years. I think Andre Reed will get in one day. I'm not sure why Lester Hayes isn't in. He was a GREAT player. Not sure if he played long enough but no one was better in his day. That guy was dominant.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

If Clark was going to get in it needed to happen years ago. Now there is such a log jam of WRs and with the league being pass crazy Clark's numbers don't look so hot in comparison anymore.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

You're right. His numbers were much more impactful when the running game was bigger in the 80.

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have even better numbers and aren't in.

BOTH should have been in long before Irvin.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
You're right. His numbers were much more impactful when the running game was bigger in the 80.

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have even better numbers and aren't in.

BOTH should have been in long before Irvin.
Dont be player hatting on Irvin, there was no better coked up WR in the league.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

I think a case can be made for Watters. Over 10,000 yards rushing and over 4,000 receiving, 91 TDs. 7 one thousand yard seasons. 5 time Pro Bowler.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think a case can be made for Watters. Over 10,000 yards rushing and over 4,000 receiving, 91 TDs. 7 one thousand yard seasons. 5 time Pro Bowler.

I didn't realize Watters had those kind of numbers. Those are HOF worthy.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I think Waters suffers from the "Hall Of Very Good" syndrome in that he never dominated but was consistently good. He also had a fumbling problem and cost his team a few games for that. He's one of those guys who didn't really stand out in his own day and as time moves on he becomes just another guy with good numbers.

Similarly, Clark will never make it in for all the reasons already said. Does he deserve it? The homer in me say "YES!!" but, objectively, and unlike Monk, I think Clark was more the beneficiary of the system than someone who would have, like Monk, excelled in any system. Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy but, regardless of P. King's take, he was receiver 1A to Monk and got a huge benefit playing opposite him. Again, he would be a lock for the Hall of Very Good.

It still makes me angry that Irvin got in before Monk. I grudgingly acknowledge Irvin's HOF credentials - I just think, as others have said, he got in b/c he was "media friendly" guy than Monk. To me, he is an ass in every way shape and form - listening to him made my head want to explode.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Clark is just short of HOF material IMO. He had the heart of a lion and was definitely our best playmaking WR, but Monk's accomplishments probably took something away from Clark's total numbers. The Redskin that I believe deserves to be in the HOF is Joe Jacoby, a leader on one of the most dominant O-lines ever, and a 3-time Super Bowl Champion.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Clark is just short of HOF material IMO. He had the heart of a lion and was definitely our best playmaking WR, but Monk's accomplishments probably took something away from Clark's total numbers. The Redskin that I believe deserves to be in the HOF is Joe Jacoby, a leader on one of the most dominant O-lines ever, and a 3-time Super Bowl Champion.
I think Jacoby will get in one day. It's so well deserved. I just think all those videos of him getting beat by LT aren't doing him any favors.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think Jacoby will get in one day. It's so well deserved. I just think all those videos of him getting beat by LT aren't doing him any favors.
You do realize that wasn't Jacoby that playing that day. That is a common mistake most people make. I think you are right, people THINKING it was Jake that got beat has held Jake back from getting in so far.
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote