\m/

Redskins Sign 12 College Free Agents

Redskins Sign 12 College Free Agents

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins Sign 12 College Free Agents

Wow, heavily on the wide receivers and tackles. Maybe one of these guys sticks! It would be nice to find another diamond in the rough - especially if it's a WR.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
scowan
The Starter

Camp Bodies? You always need guys to run routes and others to make tackles, well you can't tackle this weekend, but you know what I mean.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I feel like WRs are about the most unpredictable position to draft, so it surely couldn't hurt to take a look. Even "sure things" like Calvin Johnson and AJ Green would have scared the crap out of me if we drafted them before we knew how they'd turn out.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Wow, heavily on the wide receivers and tackles. Maybe one of these guys sticks! It would be nice to find another diamond in the rough - especially if it's a WR.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw the roster. Message is we need to see improvement. Havent seen the consistency from Robinson, Hankerson, and Brescoe....time for someone else to get an opportunity.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw the roster. Message is we need to see improvement. Havent seen the consistency from Robinson, Hankerson, and Brescoe....time for someone else to get an opportunity.
Yeah, the thing is, Robinson has the ability and speed to get open deep, we just need him catching the ball more consistently, but we can probably say that for Hankerson, Brescoe, and Paul.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

So Xavier Nixon, I started to watch his highlights against Jadevon Clowney who is considered to be the hands down best player in next years draft and considered to be the next if not better, Julius Peppers.

Nixon for the most part played pretty good against him. He did get help after the first quarter with RBs and TE's chipping him, but considering Nixon is more than likely going to be a RT for us and Clowney is a freak and will be playing against LTs his career, I think Nixon can handle some of these NFL REs fairly well. He definitely has the best chance to make the team among the UDFAs. Athletically he is better than all four of our RT candidates (well, I really can't speak for compton, but I'm going with SEC speed over South Dakota speed).

If you all want to see for yourselves how he did go to around the 44:14 mark in this video

Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

One play but he did stand his ground.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
HailGreen28
Playmaker

What kind of contracts do these UDFAs sign? Is it a contract only good for training camp, where they need a new contract if they make the team? And with the new rookie salary cap, are some of these guys making as good money as say a 7th round pick?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Any WR we should have our eye on from this group?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
SirLK26
The Starter

Skye Dawson. Our new return man and when Moss is gone, our slot receiver.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Skye Dawson. Our new return man and when Moss is gone, our slot receiver.
Awesome name for a returner
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
SirLK26
The Starter

Aside from Skye Dawson and Xavier Nixon, the one that intrigues me the most is Marvin Burdette. He led the nation in tackles per game with 13.08, and is UAB's all time tackle leader with 406 tackles; he also had 3 career INTs. Now let's see what he can do as a Redskin.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
What kind of contracts do these UDFAs sign? Is it a contract only good for training camp, where they need a new contract if they make the team? And with the new rookie salary cap, are some of these guys making as good money as say a 7th round pick?
They get a 1 year league minimum rookie contract (around 400k I believe) with no guarantees beyond a small bonus, mainly meant for travel expenses. Usually the bonus is a few thousand. There can be some slight bidding on them, as teams can spend up to a certain amount on a bonus for a single player (something like 15-20k) but teams are only allowed a set amount of total bonuses combined for all UDFA's (to keep bidding wars down on UDFA's). The CBA doesnt allow the teams to offer more money per year, they are stuck with that. They can only try to offer a bigger bonus (the only guaranteed money) than another team if an UDFA is undecided.

They do actually get paid something for attending offseason workouts as well. Its not much, but they can make around $800 a week plus free room and board as long as the team keeps them under contract. They will also receive pay for TC that is separate from the contract, which is for regular season only. So an UDFA can still make $8-10k plus the "signing bonus" even if they get cut at the end of TC.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
They get a 1 year league minimum rookie contract (around 400k I believe) with no guarantees beyond a small bonus, mainly meant for travel expenses. Usually the bonus is a few thousand. There can be some slight bidding on them, as teams can spend up to a certain amount on a bonus for a single player (something like 15-20k) but teams are only allowed a set amount of total bonuses combined for all UDFA's (to keep bidding wars down on UDFA's). The CBA doesnt allow the teams to offer more money per year, they are stuck with that. They can only try to offer a bigger bonus (the only guaranteed money) than another team if an UDFA is undecided.

They do actually get paid something for attending offseason workouts as well. Its not much, but they can make around $800 a week plus free room and board as long as the team keeps them under contract. They will also receive pay for TC that is separate from the contract, which is for regular season only. So an UDFA can still make $8-10k plus the "signing bonus" even if they get cut at the end of TC.
Wow. Thanks for the info.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote