Jets talking with Coles' agent?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3435522
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
bigm29
Special Teams

Re: Jets talking with Coles' agent?

sounds good as long as they make an agreement where we wouldnt have to take coles' cap hit.
bigm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Can we just get the deal done, please!!!
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
BossHog

I'm happy about doing away with Coles, but not too excited about bringing in Moss. I just hope that Gibbs does a good job getting Moss to understand what role he will have as a Redskin. Moss will be our number one PR/KR and will probably settle in as our number two WR likely linining up in the slot on multiple reciever sets. Be sastisfied with that! OK?
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

I'm curious who you think will be the number 1 receiver if Moss is #2?
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
celts32
Playmaker

This Jets story just won't go away. I think once Burress is off the market, Coles will become worth much more in trade than Moss if he already wasn't...

The Jets won't let it go becasue they are getting the better of this trade. The Jets should be adding a #2 or #3 pick along with Moss in a trade for Coles.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
This Jets story just won't go away. I think once Burress is off the market, Coles will become worth much more in trade than Moss if he already wasn't...

The Jets won't let it go becasue they are getting the better of this trade. The Jets should be adding a #2 or #3 pick along with Moss in a trade for Coles.

I agree, Celts. We should get more than just Moss. At least a 3rd or 4th round pick.....at least.

I really hope we draft Mike Williams.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
That Guy
Living Legend

moss sucks next to coles, even if he's pissed off, i rather have coles.... i mean for f*ck's sake, if we don't take moss off their hands, they might just release him. Last thing we need is to overpay for a guy we don't really need.

when coles was healthy for a partial season he was #7 on yards, and even injured he's still catching 5-6 balls a game and putting up decent numbers. Why we just trade all of our draft picks for moss and be done with it :P this deal is worse than bad, wtf do we need yet another 2nd class receiver?

sorry for holding back... maybe next time i'll tell you how i really feel.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
jacobyfan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
moss sucks next to coles, even if he's pissed off, i rather have coles.... i mean for f*ck's sake, if we don't take moss off their hands, they might just release him. Last thing we need is to overpay for a guy we don't really need.

when coles was healthy for a partial season he was #7 on yards, and even injured he's still catching 5-6 balls a game and putting up decent numbers. Why we just trade all of our draft picks for moss and be done with it :P this deal is worse than bad, wtf do we need yet another 2nd class receiver?

sorry for holding back... maybe next time i'll tell you how i really feel.
I feel pretty much the same way. I say we keep Coles and make him play for his money. With the improved O-line we'll be fine and if he's healthy he'll get more deep balls and everything will be forgotten. Gibbs has dealt with crazier players than this in the past
jacobyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
That Guy
Living Legend

yeah, maybe coles needs to grow a mohawk...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
DCopper04
Camp Scrub

If a trade with the Jets doesn't go through, do you guys see Coles being a draft-day trade? I think wee need to have a chat with LC and his agent, and possibly consider that course of action. I am a little worried that if we don't deal him, he may decide to hold out of training cap and the preseason in an effort to force a trade. If we cannot get 100% confirmation that he will not hold out, then I think draft day could be an excellent time to unload him. It seems that on draft day, teams are often more willing to give up future high-round picks in order to get players they want. Perhaps deal Coles for a 4th or 5th rounder this year, plus a first next year. I would be satisfied with that.
DCopper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Let's imagine for just a minute what the "tough guy chat" would be with Coles and his agent:

Redskins: Listen up you overpaid and disgruntled lump of shit, you are under contract here and we'll tell you when you play and if we trade you we'll tell you where you play. WE call the plays; you run the routes. Cabeesh? If you don't like it, you can stick it up your butt.

Coles and Agent: (stifiling laughter) You got it boss. I can report to all your mandatory practices and camps and collect that fat $5M you owe me in April and after we cash that puppy and invest it, we might just come down with chronic migraines and have a recurrence of that toe injury. How's that gonna help you get anything for me in a trade? When any other GM calls me to talk to me about going there in a trade, I'm gonna tell him that my toe hurts and that I think his team is made up of the biggest bundh of pus-suckers in the league and that I don't want to play there. How will that help your negotiation stance? Or are you going to try and tell me what I can and cannot say to another GM in the league?

Redskins: Our doctors will see to it that you don't get away with that...

Coles and Agent: (not able to stifle laughter any longer) Your doctors can suck wind. I'll get three or four different medical opinions that say your doctors are team toadies and should not be allowed to practice on chimpanzees let alone humans. And by the way, while all these medical experts are debating, I'll be missing training camp but you still have me as a cap hit. You don't think that these medical issues can be resolved quickly do you? I figure my "problem" will last at least as long as Lavar's grievance has lasted. He played three games last year; I can do that too.

Redskins: But we pay the bills so we are the boss. And remember, Mr, Snyder can fire anyone he wants to any time he wants to.

Coles and Agent: Please fire us. Please do that today. That means we keep your $5M AND we get to make our own deal somewhere else - the recovery from the headaches and the foot injury will be miraculous - and nobody else in the league has to deal with Mr, Snyder and any of the other idiots in your Front Office. WE get a better deal and you get ZIPPO for cutting us. Go ahead. Carry through with that threat you impotent sack of weasel shit...

SIMMARY: It's nice to think about talking tough to LC. But unless you are willing to cut him, then don't overplay your hand because it just might piss him off and that would be even worse than cutting him and getting nothing for him.

Remember, he can hold out and since there is an existing contract the Skins have to be prepared for him to report back to them so there are cap implications AND as long as he reports by the 10th game, it counts as if he honored the contract for the year. Talk about a "distraction".
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

If Coles decides to whine and sit on the bench or fake an injury, he's doing nothing but hurting his reputation in the long run. I don't see it happening.

What was stopping him from doing that this year??
Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
If Coles decides to whine and sit on the bench or fake an injury, he's doing nothing but hurting his reputation in the long run. I don't see it happening.

What was stopping him from doing that this year??
I agree Matty...........he's hurting is $$$$ if he decides to sit and not contribute.........

Maybe it won't hurt Coles which brings us to John Abrahams DE who is a free agent......anyone looking at him yet.........
Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
Cush
Impact Rookie

George Michael on the local NBC station said that the deal is 'very much alive'
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote