Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
JudgeJebus
Camp Scrub

Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

After the Rabach introduction press conference, Gibbs talked to reporters and the mike was still on. He made it sound like they there was no hope for matching Pierce--things like: "We did everything we could...We looked at everything and reached the point where we decided that a certain amount was the best we could offer...We have to make these decisions looking 3-4 years down the road...You kind of hate it, but these things can happen to you. It won't happen to us often, but we offered the most we could offer."

He also said that there were no new developments on Coles; that "Dale" (Lindsey, the LBs coach) "has a couple of options" for filling Pierce's spot and would decide whether someone else would be able to move inside; and that the Redskins would be having more free agents visiting, including some today.
JudgeJebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

I guess Pierce wanted his "pay day". I would LOVE to see Barrow come back from injury and not miss a beat.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I guess Pierce wanted his "pay day". I would LOVE to see Barrow come back from injury and not miss a beat.

Not to mention the other 14 LBs we have.....lol
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
BossHog

Pierce has earned the money. All that's left for him to do now is become a bust with the Giants! By the way, I was never excited about having signing Barrow.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

I was hoping we would bring everyone back from last years D. Because they all seemed to like playing with each other. O well Gregg Williams will plug someone in there and who ever it is will do a good job.

I don't mean to discount what Pierce was able to do but, who ever heard of Ryan Clark before last year. The guy played like he had been starting his whole career. Like Nike says it's got to be the shoes, well it's got to be the system. Gregg Williams will work his magic.......
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Me either, Bosshog. It may come to help us now! I really don't want to see Washington or LaVar move inside. Please put Marshall or someone else in.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
firstdown
Living Legend

It will be intresting to see how things go for Pierce and if he was just in a system that worked for him like Trotter and Phily. I would love to know what our offer was.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
celts32
Playmaker

This is not good. Maybe Pierce can be replaced talent wise, but Greg Williams keeps saying how good a game Pierce calls and how smart he is. I don't see how they can just plug another guy in and expect the same results. This is a huge loss. I can't believe they allowed this to happen. Watch next year the offense will improve and the defense will stink. When you have one side of the ball taken care of you should do everything you can to keep it together. Look at what the Colts did to keep thier offense together even though thier defense stinks. They took care of their offesse with new deals for Harrison & Manning and then franchising Edge and then will try and work on the defense. How can the Redskins be so aggressive in some areas and then so completely passive and hard lined with a player so vitally important? I just don't understand them sometimes...keeping Pierce should have been priority #1.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
BossHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
...Look at what the Colts did to keep thier offense together... They took care of their offesse with new deals for Harrison & Manning and then franchising Edge...
Well, isn't Edgerrin James as good as gone? Even if the deal for him to move to MIA doesn't happen IND can't afford to sign him to a long term deal or franchise him another year. Something has to give. If Pierce was the 'head' of our defense, someone else will have to step up. And that person doesn't have to be our 'newest' starting MLB!
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
This is not good. Maybe Pierce can be replaced talent wise, but Greg Williams keeps saying how good a game Pierce calls and how smart he is. I don't see how they can just plug another guy in and expect the same results. This is a huge loss. I can't believe they allowed this to happen. Watch next year the offense will improve and the defense will stink. When you have one side of the ball taken care of you should do everything you can to keep it together. Look at what the Colts did to keep thier offense together even though thier defense stinks. They took care of their offesse with new deals for Harrison & Manning and then franchising Edge and then will try and work on the defense. How can the Redskins be so aggressive in some areas and then so completely passive and hard lined with a player so vitally important? I just don't understand them sometimes...keeping Pierce should have been priority #1.
obviously because they think one of the 42 remaining linebackers is able to do the job... otherwise they would have paid out. It sucks to lose pierce, but no one ever called him an amazing athlete. He's smart and didn't make mistakes... in the NFL smarts are cheaper than athletism.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #11
Riggo44
The Starter

[QUOTE=BossHog]Pierce has earned the money. All that's left for him to do now is become a bust with the Giants!

Let's all hope he's a bust! I'm still a little erked by this one.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
jacobyfan
Special Teams

Quote:
Have you heard Gibbs or Williams say anything bad about ANY of our players in this type of situation? Pierce's smarts are likely not needed as much now that the rest of the team knows the defense. I'll trust Gibbs and WIlliams on this one. There has only been one real mistake they've made since they've been here and that's Brunell. It was a mistake a lot of other teams were also willing to make.

Let's stop with any talk that our D is going to suck next year just because we're losing Pierce. It's totally absurd. We'll have Bowen and Arrington back and a healthy D-line as well as the possibility of a siny new pass-rushing DE from the draft. It's also a little nuts to compare Pierce to Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Edge.

Here's my prediction: The D will be BETTER next year, not worse. They will still rank in the top 5 for yards allowed and they will have more turnovers.

Priority #1 is building a dynasty. That may sound a bit crazy for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in so long, but we can't pile on now or we will have to let a TON of players go next offseason. Notice what the Patsies have done the last few seasons. They do what it takes to keep MOST of their continuity each year. If you try to keep all of it every year, you end up like the Titans this offseason.
jacobyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

If Williams really thought he was irreplacable, he would have convinced Gibbs to do whatever they needed to do to re-sign him. But obviously, as highly as he thought of Pierce, they set a limit, and the Giants' offer exceeded that. That's life in today's NFL.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
obviously because they think one of the 42 remaining linebackers is able to do the job... otherwise they would have paid out. It sucks to lose pierce, but no one ever called him an amazing athlete. He's smart and didn't make mistakes... in the NFL smarts are cheaper than athletism.

AMEN.....
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyfan
Here's my prediction: The D will be BETTER next year, not worse. They will still rank in the top 5 for yards allowed and they will have more turnovers.

I hope to see the D actually SCORE more this season. Convert the turnovers, the Offense can't seem to.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote