Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

Figured we could start a cool thread, lets be real we are all true fans of this team that hasn't been good in YEARS so what made you a skins fan?

I've been a Diehard skins fan since age 6, ('91) I can remember my mom going and getting me a skins jacket after the super bowl and growing up with Dallas fans in my family only made me an even bigger fan. Originally from the Gulf Coast it was either Saints or Cowboys so of course I wasn't interested LOL. Some folks were Packers fans for Favre but I stayed loyal to my skins. If you gave me a dollar for every time I have been asked "Why the Redskins" I'd be rich. Haven't missed a game in probably 10 years, I just treat this team like a family member. I'm so loyal that I have turned down Xmas gifts of other NFL teams apparel and I had the chance to walk through the Cowboys stadium and Locker room about 8 years ago or so with my now Father In Law ONLY if I didn't wear any skins gear, so I said NO THANKS! I've been to 2 Redskins games (@TB) and @N.O Both were when I was really young.. Had the chance at Skins- Cowboys Tix this year but decided not too. Anyways Tell your stories

Why the Skins?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
skinster
Impact Rookie

Re: Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

10th grade (2005...rogers/campbell rookie year, moss's first year) I tore my acl, my mcl, and my medial meniscus. I had a shitty recovery and had nothing to do on the weekends so I picked up watching football. I just started watching every redskins game, and got hooked. After that I just learned to love the game of football, everything about it from the gameplay to coaching to the business side of things; and for better or for worse (unfortunately my case) stayed a loyal/die hard redskins fan.

I never for one second have second guessed my loyalty for the skins for no apparent reason.
I probably should get my brain checked.
Getting upset year after year isn't a healthy way of living.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
10th grade (2005...rogers/campbell rookie year, moss's first year) I tore my acl, my mcl, and my medial meniscus. I had a shitty recovery and had nothing to do on the weekends so I picked up watching football. I just started watching every redskins game, and got hooked. After that I just learned to love the game of football, everything about it from the gameplay to coaching to the business side of things; and for better or for worse (unfortunately my case) stayed a loyal/die hard redskins fan.

I never for one second have second guessed my loyalty for the skins for no apparent reason.
I probably should get my brain checked.
Getting upset year after year isn't a healthy way of living.

Lol man we all ask ourselves that Q.. One day it will pay off I HOPE.
Thats a ROUGH injury what position?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Lol man we all ask ourselves that Q.. One day it will pay off I HOPE.
Thats a ROUGH injury what position?
Lol, don't jump to conclusions too fast. Sweeper. The day I got bumped up to varsity it happened, and then we went to go on to win states. Haven't played soccer since.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Hometown team. My whole family has been fans, since... As long as I can remember. They're a football family. When the Skins used to play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving we'd all huddle around the TV and cheer like crazy.

I really got into the Skins right around 2005, when I started college. When I was in high school, I'd watch here and there but it wasn't an every Sunday thing. But right around 2007-2008 I started watching every Sunday. I have no idea what possessed me to start following the Skins so closely but I have ever since.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Ah, I always considered myself a fan, but didn't really start watching until I moved back into the the DC suburbs. It took me a while to figure out FOX had the games(I was a kid). Oh, I still remember Frerotte's headbutt, Hostetler, and Trent Green. Somehow, that 2000 loss also sticks in my mind. I took a hiatus from football after Spurrier, since that's when my Yu-gi-oh fandom dominated my time from 2004-2008.

I found the Norv Turner show funny.

And also, my renewal started on Week 4 in 2008 against those Cowboys. One of the few things I'll thank JC for.

I probably followed them since they were the local team. My family never cared about football. My dad was dead and my mom was an immigrant from the 80s

I definitely remember Henry Ellard and Terry Allen playing, so I must have started my first rabid binge in '97

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.

Last edited by SirClintonPortis; 11-22-2011 at 11:53 PM.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Family thing as well. I'm all DC-everything sports wise, and football wasn't even my first love. Basketball came first, then football, then hockey, and finally baseball. But yeah anyways my dad is a Redskins fan, or should I say was, considering he watches Nascar more than the Redskins nowadays, but way back right about 2000 (12 years old) was the time I started understanding the game, and I claimed the Redskins until about 2004, and then 2004 I just got really into it for some reason and started watching every Sunday. Nowadays the only reason I miss a game is if I have to work, which has happened multiple times this season but won't be happening anymore with my new job.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Family thing as well. I'm all DC-everything sports wise, and football wasn't even my first love. Basketball came first, then football, then hockey, and finally baseball. But yeah anyways my dad is a Redskins fan, or should I say was, considering he watches Nascar more than the Redskins nowadays, but way back right about 2000 (12 years old) was the time I started understanding the game, and I claimed the Redskins until about 2004, and then 2004 I just got really into it for some reason and started watching every Sunday. Nowadays the only reason I miss a game is if I have to work, which has happened multiple times this season but won't be happening anymore with my new job.

I work 4 am - 12 Pm just so I never miss a game so I feel ya
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The loss to TB still HURTS bad! I really thought we were going to win the SB that year
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

My brother and his friends were, and I wanted to be like him. First game I saw was the NFC championship against the Cowboys where RFK was rockin. Though actually I listened to it on the radio, didn't watch it on tv
Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
My brother and his friends were, and I wanted to be like him. First game I saw was the NFC championship against the Cowboys where RFK was rockin. Though actually I listened to it on the radio, didn't watch it on tv

Is he still a fan? LMAO
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Of course, not as fanatical though. New priorities in life
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I had been a fan as a kid back in 91 when my parents bought me a Mark Rypien Halloween uniform. Saw the Redskins win the Super Bowl and followed them loosely seeing as how I was 6 and 7 years old. Went through a baseball and basketball phase during the 90's then decided to play football in 9th grade and reconnected with the sport. Been a die hard ever since.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I had been a fan as a kid back in 91 when my parents bought me a Mark Rypien Halloween uniform. Saw the Redskins win the Super Bowl and followed them loosely seeing as how I was 6 and 7 years old. Went through a baseball and basketball phase during the 90's then decided to play football in 9th grade and reconnected with the sport. Been a die hard ever since.
Dude I had the same Uniform! LOL No name on the back for mine though but helmet and pants
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Dude I had the same Uniform! LOL No name on the back for mine though but helmet and pants
Lol, I was just looking for a picture of so people would have an idea what the hell I'm talking about. Did you have the helmet that was basically a kickers facemask with two bars?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote