Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Early Draft Predictions: Mock it now!

With the possibly 3rd pick overall in the 2005 NFL Draft

Washington Redskins select:

Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas (MY PICK)

What can you say about the 2004 Washington Redskins? A team that had such high hopes before the season thanks to the return of Hall of Fame coach and legend Joe Gibbs has simply fallen flat on their faces. What's even more disturbing is the complete lack of offensive production despite having a relatively talented group on that side of the ball. There is no doubt that the offense has to be addressed, but can anyone really pinpoint one area on that side of the ball that is extremely deficient? The defense under new coordinator Gregg Williams has played well beyond expectations despite battling injuries and a lack of top-notch talent up front. The defensive line has played well this season, but they don't have a true difference maker, a guy who can penetrate and cause a commotion in opponents backfields on a consistent basis. Wright has been a standout for the Longhorns since his true freshman season in Austin and would likely be one of the premier defensive players available should he decide to leave college after his junior campaign. Some Redskins fans may be clamoring for a top young quarterback after the way Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey have played this year, but I doubt Gibbs will want to start that type of rebuilding project at this stage in his career so they will likely opt for the player who can make the most immediate impact. A darkhorse here could be wide receiver Mike Williams, who would give Washington another major weapon on offense and as a big, physical wideout would really compliment the speedy Laveranues Coles. Don't rule out this pick simply being based on the best player available theory though because the Redskins are really a team without pressing needs in terms of talent.

Washington Redskins select:

Mike Williams, WR, USC (Must draft if Gardner is dealt)

Trojans Mike Williams opted to follow Maurice Clarett to the pros following his sophomore season but when the court ruling in Clarett's favor was reversed it left both players in limbo, too young to play in the NFL and unable to play in college because they were no longer amateurs. In the end though this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Williams, who could very well end up going higher in the 2005 NFL Draft than he would have in 2004. Had he been eligible for last years Draft the highest Williams would have gone is #9 overall to Jacksonville and he could have potentially fallen as far as Tampa Bay at #15. With a year off from the game Williams will have ample time to prepare for workouts, which he didn't have the luxury of last year, and if he can improve on his 4.6 time in the forty he could be in contention for the #1 pick overall.

Other notables are:
Alex Barron, OT, Florida St.
Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Ahmad Brooks, OLB, Virginia
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan

Data courtesy of: www.nfldraftcountdown.com

Advertisements
Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I think we will take Kiwanuka, DE from BC or Mike Williams, WR of USC. Theres really no other great options out there right now. If we dont put together a few wins, and stay at the #3 stop, I think we should trade out of it, depending on when Williams looks to be going. I dont know, I just wanna win 5 to end this season....
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I agree with Gman. I noticed that theres alot of O-lineman too.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
That Guy
Living Legend

williams, if he's gone, kiwanuka... really rather have williams right now though... if we miss him, we need to look at FAs... (somehow porter just doesn't seem like our answer at WR...)
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

we should trade down in the draft to get more picks so we can manage the cap better and get more depth in positions like linebacker, tight end, and even get a solid center which we could get in the second or third round. But I have no idea who is good because the only team I watch is Maryland who is not doing good this year.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Here's another sites prediction:

Aaron Rogers Quarterback California

I probably have some readers scratching their head over this pick but please hear me out. The Redskins look like they will cut Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsay does not seem to have the trust of the Joe Gibbs regime. Look for Ramsay to be trade bait while the Redskins keep Tim Hasslebeck around as the backup to Rogers. This is Washington so anything is possible...

Remember Wynn might consider retirement, so a strong DE or DT might be the best pick to solidfy the #1 D in 2005.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
jbcjr14
The Starter

Trade down and take some O-Line. That is vintage Gibbs (Bethard) and I think that is what they will do. They may also tag Samuels and let him go for the two first rounders....could be interesting!.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
ChounsMan
Special Teams

The Skins are certainly in the drivers seat with a low draft pick & a Pro Bowl O-linemen as trade bait.

They may be able to squeeze 3+ picks in the first 2 rounds. Keeping my fingers crossed & my eyes/ears open.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

ChounsMan:

If Samuels is dealt, he will bring a heap of cap trouble on the team that trades for him. If he is willing to renegotiate with a new team, why not with the Redskins? So his trade value is much less than your standard-issue "Pro Bowl O-lineman". And BTW, this will make the 2nd straight year he does not make the Pro Bowl.

Some GM in the NFL may see something that I have not seen in the past 4 years and offer something more than a used blocking sled for Gardner, but until I see it, I won't believe it.

The defense has played outstandingly this year. Maybe it is playing over its head just a tad and maybe next year it will merely be a top 10 defense and not a top 5 defense. But given the train-wreck that we called an offense this year, that is where the top draft emphasis should be. Who is this year's version of Robert Gallery or Orando Pace? Find that dude and draft him.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

I can't bring myself to even look at a mock draft just yet.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #11
redsk1
The Starter

I'm a little biased but what about OL Elton Brown out of VA. I believe he is 6-7 to 6-9 and about 330 lb's. He can RUN too.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

We should definately trade down to get more picks. All things being equal, I'd take a pass-rushing Dlineman with our first pick and an O-lineman with our 2nd.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #13
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1
I'm a little biased but what about OL Elton Brown out of VA. I believe he is 6-7 to 6-9 and about 330 lb's. He can RUN too.
Maybe one of va tech dl that ran over the va line. LOL
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

You all have missed the most obvious. Trade Burnell to Browns For Jeff George.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
You all have missed the most obvious. Trade Burnell to Browns For Jeff George.
well that's pure genius...but how are the Browns getting George from the Bears?