Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Santana Moss gets a free pass...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Pocket$ $traight

Why Santana Moss gets a free pass...

I know that Santana is going to get heat over the HGH scandal. In fact, it started on this board before it was announced publically. But here is why I have no ill feelings towards Moss over this.

Santana Moss gave me three "sit on my knee" memories since he has been here. The first one I will mention is the Giant's game at Fed Ex in 2005. Santana had 3 touchdowns (including one from Patrick Ramsey after Brunell was knocked out of the game). That performance beat me for a fantasy championship but, more importantly, kept the momentum going for the Redskins 2005 playoff run.

Second, the Jacksonville home game in 2006. I was there in person and his two touchdowns (including a game winner in overtime) were electrifying. I still remember seeing him put on "circle button" spin moves on helpless defenders. My tickets were near the end zone where he ran in the last touchdown.

Last but not least, the Ring of Honor Sodomization. I will freely admit that I literally fell asleep during that game. Our offense was a joke. The only thing that I vaguely remember in the third quarter was Roy Williams ending a drive or two but for some reason I woke up with about 7 minutes left in the 4th and that was when business picked up. I firmly believe that those two touchdowns gave Gibbs credibility in his second go around. The offense was pathetic in all of 2004 and seemed to continue on that path in 2005. Without those two plays, we do not make the playoffs in 2005. Without those two plays Gibbs may not even coach in 2006.

So, am I going to defend Moss for taking HGH? No. Am I going to badmouth him and treat him like the next "Haynesworth"? No. He allegedly took these treatments to heal. I am not going to hold it against him that he took something to fix his broken down body and extend his career. He has been the Redskins best receiver every year since he has been here. He has paid his dues for this franchise and the fans and he will continue to sacrifice for the Redskins going forward.

Santana Moss has been a great Redskin. He does not have any Championship moments but I am not going to crucify him like Jared LaCanfora's butt buddy, Jason Reid, has. Reid wasn't around here when Moss was winning games and giving a legend some credibility.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Re: Why Santana Moss gets a free pass...

Santana has had some great moments...sadly they've been few and far between. I completely agree with Shanahan's appraisal of the situation -- employing a wait-and-see approach is the most appropriate given the type of investigation this is shaping up to be.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
NM Redskin
The Starter

I don't think the Comish is going to agree with you.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Tom Brady
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I mean look at it.. the guy didn't get bigger faster stronger.. you can pop cortisone and any number of pain killers and be fine but can't use something to actually promote healing? So assbackwards, thanks American medical system.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

HE HAD A TUMOR!!!! That's right, Moss had a tumor.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I like some of the points of the OP, who has stated for the record that Moss has been a great redskin. This is obviously true.

However, being a great player, or a fan favorite, should not get him a free pass. Marvin Harrison is one of the best of all times, and definatley a fan favorite, but questions surrounding him and a shooting have kept him out of the game since then...he had to be held accountable.

Ben was popular up in Pittsburgh until the rape happened. My point is, players that go off and do these dumb things know that sooner or later they are going to get caught. Santana, for all that he is, fan favorite and all, knew that HGH was a banned substance and using it in ANY way, even to heal, would certainly be against the league's policy.

I think we will see at least a 4 game suspension when it is all said and done.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Redskin View Post
I don't think the Comish is going to agree with you.
I agree with you about that. If he used them, he deserves 4 games. My thought is that he does not deserve the holier than though criticism that always comes with instances like this.

If his choice was to do these treatments or possibly have to retire, I don't blame him one bit. Moss' game has always been based on elite speed. You take that away, he is marginal at best.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Tom Brady
Is Brady the big name? I haven't seen it come out yet but it certainly would make sense. It will be interesting to see how the NFL protects the Golden Boy in this situation.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I like some of the points of the OP, who has stated for the record that Moss has been a great redskin. This is obviously true.

However, being a great player, or a fan favorite, should not get him a free pass. Marvin Harrison is one of the best of all times, and definatley a fan favorite, but questions surrounding him and a shooting have kept him out of the game since then...he had to be held accountable.

Ben was popular up in Pittsburgh until the rape happened. My point is, players that go off and do these dumb things know that sooner or later they are going to get caught. Santana, for all that he is, fan favorite and all, knew that HGH was a banned substance and using it in ANY way, even to heal, would certainly be against the league's policy.

I think we will see at least a 4 game suspension when it is all said and done.

See, I don't think you can compare Moss to Big Blumpkin and Marvin Harrison. The allegations that they are fighting are in a different category. The sad thing is that the league treats a guy who may have raped a woman the same as a guy who wanted to extend his career.

My understanding is that Moss used these treatments to rehab an injury. There is a difference. Now if he was using them his whole career, I would view it differently.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
HE HAD A TUMOR!!!! That's right, Moss had a tumor.
what?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Moss has certainly given the Redskins some great moments (but he's also had boneheaded "take off my helmet on the field, jump up and down, and pout" moments), and I understand the temptations and pressures to stay on the field. Still....there were plenty of other players under those same pressures and temptations who didn't succumb.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

the bottom line is he used a banned substance. now it obviously wasnt for malicious intent, or to gain an edge like these guys that use PED's, but he still should have known better.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I don't think it matters how much we love him or hate him. The facts are the facts. Did he use or was given a substance thats on the banned list? If yes then to be fair he should be punished. The only reason Cushing is getting bashed is the fact that he received a reward and has excepted it. Even after his issues came to light and everyone found out he cheated/used and banned substance. If Moss was in the same boat to be fair I'd say the same things about Moss.

Is Moss an evil person? No. Did he use if to get bigger or faster? I doubt it, atleast until all the facts come out. Was it for personal gain? Technically yes. It, I presume, was to help him heal faster and if its on the banned list then we have to lable him a cheater.

I have my own reasons for thinking we should move on from Moss. Part of it is age, part when I think of him I think of him often injured with a hammy or groin pull. Last yr did not do him service in Zorn's crappy offense either. It seemed teams doubled up him. I hope if and when he starts to play this yr he comes out guns a blazing. That would be a big step in me forgetting his past few yrs.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I don't think it matters how much we love him or hate him. The facts are the facts. Did he use or was given a substance thats on the banned list? If yes then to be fair he should be punished. The only reason Cushing is getting bashed is the fact that he received a reward and has excepted it. Even after his issues came to light and everyone found out he cheated/used and banned substance. If Moss was in the same boat to be fair I'd say the same things about Moss.

Is Moss an evil person? No. Did he use if to get bigger or faster? I doubt it, atleast until all the facts come out. Was it for personal gain? Technically yes. It, I presume, was to help him heal faster and if its on the banned list then we have to lable him a cheater.

I have my own reasons for thinking we should move on from Moss. Part of it is age, part when I think of him I think of him often injured with a hammy or groin pull. Last yr did not do him service in Zorn's crappy offense either. It seemed teams doubled up him. I hope if and when he starts to play this yr he comes out guns a blazing. That would be a big step in me forgetting his past few yrs.
He's slowed more than a step, and while still quick, his frequent hamstring and groin injuries make him no more than a solid number 2 receiver, maybe even a 3rd at this stage in his career. He seems like a good guy, and he would be a good mentor to the young receivers. He has been in some big games and made good plays, and has tons of advice to give..

I still think the team should sign T.O. to fill in while Moss is gone. Most likely T.O. plays so well that we can integrate them both.....