Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cooley Interview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Cooley Interview

D.C. Sports Bog - Chris Cooley gets pulled over during radio interview

Ok. Yes it's another rah rah type interview. Yes, you wonder how much more he could say. Still, it's another player conveying just how little guile was in Zorn's offense, and how different Shanahan's approach is. A good read overall.

one quote
Quote:
"The offense is just a little more advanced from the last offense," he said. "It's still the same terminology, which is nice for me. So all the formations are called the same, a lot of the routes are called the same. It's adding extra elements to everything. We don't run the same plays out of the same formations every time. You kind of have to learn concepts of the offense, because you're doing different things all the time. Last year I ran like seven routes, total. So it's a more involved kind of moving everyone, getting everyone to know what they do type of offense."
I am sure, at least I hope I am sure, that Cooley is exaggerating the bolded part, but, truthfully, I am really not sure.

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 04-27-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added quote
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: Cooley Interview

Yeah it was more of the same thing we've heard from all of the holdovers and that's GREAT but the best part was him getting pulled over and talking about it as it was going along. Cooley is just an everyman's dude.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

is it August yet ?
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

agreed...worst part of the year for me...does anybody even watch the NBA playoffs?

the NBA ... where defense happens.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I do, but I agree...any time of the year without football is rough.

I watched a few minutes of an Arena game this week...not the same.

Thank God for the NFLN and replays at least, especially older games with guys like Montana, Elway, William Perry and the Houston Oilers.

Watched the '72 Super Bowl last week where Garo Yepremian threw a TD pass to the Skins.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Ok. Yes it's another rah rah type interview. Yes, you wonder how much more he could say. Still, it's another player conveying just how little guile was in Zorn's offense, and how different Shanahan's approach is. A good read overall.

one quote

I am sure, at least I hope I am sure, that Cooley is exaggerating the bolded part, but, truthfully, I am really not sure.
By all accounts Shanahan's system is actually pretty simple in and of itself. The complicated part is how they attack offenses, using a variety of formations and motion. So basically no more running left on first down every single time.

Redskins Insider - Shanahan's running game is simple; blocking isn't
Quote:
Mark Schlereth, a former lineman for Shanahan in Denver who now blocks for Chris Berman at ESPN, said that his former coach really has only a half-dozen running plays. But when you review the film, it looks like more than three dozen.

The keys are simple: creative personnel groups, myriad formations and blocking schemes.

Shanahan wouldn't commit last week to any sort of blocking scheme for the 2010 Redskins, but he has relied on zone blocking more than most coaches, whether his line coach was Alex Gibbs (now in Houston) or Rick Dennison.
Then again maybe the running game is the only part that's "simple." The passing game might be more complex.
Quote:
Especially notable is the use of more option routes and more movement before the snap under Shanahan than receivers had under Zorn.
Shanahans' offense "much more advanced" than Zorn's | ProFootballTalk.com

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
By all accounts Shanahan's system is actually pretty simple in and of itself. The complicated part is how they attack offenses, using a variety of formations and motion. So basically no more running left on first down every single time.

Redskins Insider - Shanahan's running game is simple; blocking isn't
Then again maybe the running game is the only part that's "simple." The passing game might be more complex.
Shanahans' offense "much more advanced" than Zorn's | ProFootballTalk.com
<b>I'm getting Zorny all over again!!!!!!SQWAWK!!!!!!</b>
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

one quote

Oh god ... One would hope Cooley is exaggerating but I wouldn't bet on it. I think I'll watch some games on NFL Rewinds this weekend just to make sure he isn't.

Sigh, sometimes it's best not to hear this type of insider information less you want to blow a gasket

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think I've mentioned this here before but Zorn had the belief that he had to keep the offense relatively simple because, to put it bluntly, he thought the players on the roster wouldn't be able to grasp and execute complex offenses. Shanahan has a different mentality.

But I'd rather Cooley and the rest of these guys stop talking about the flaws in Zorn's offense and start looking forward. It doesn't look good to just keep blaming the guy who left.

Especially when just two years ago you were saying this:

"I really like what Coach Zorn has done. I like what we're doing as an offense, because he's really put us in a position to make plays,"

Cooley Is Enthusiastic About New Offense - washingtonpost.com
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think I've mentioned this here before but Zorn had the belief that he had to keep the offense relatively simple because, to put it bluntly, he thought the players on the roster wouldn't be able to grasp and execute complex offenses. Shanahan has a different mentality.

But I'd rather Cooley and the rest of these guys stop talking about the flaws in Zorn's offense and start looking forward. It doesn't look good to just keep blaming the guy who left.

"I really like what Coach Zorn has done. I like what we're doing as an offense, because he's really put us in a position to make plays,"

I was just about to say I'd like to see his interview from Zorn's first year to compare their language to see if he sounded any more confident this year . . .
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post

agreed...worst part of the year for me...does anybody even watch the NBA playoffs?
Naw, the worst part of the season for me is after the NBA season ends. At least the NBA can hold my attention, especially playoff time. But once the season ends and there's nothin on espn for the next month and a half but boring ass baseball, that sh-t is torture. And even then, training camp is just really starting. Once we play that official first preseason game, I am completely JACKED, full NFL season mode, lock and loaded.
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
r08kessl
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

He's a pro athlete, is he supposed to say how bad the offense sucks, and how he thinks he's gonna have a shitty year? The difference between then and now is that zorn was completely unproven, and Shanahan, even on his bad teams, always had one of the best offenses in the league.
r08kessl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Thank God for the NFLN and replays at least, especially older games with guys like Montana, Elway, William Perry and the Houston Oilers.

Watched the '72 Super Bowl last week where Garo Yepremian threw a TD pass to the Skins.

+1

NFL Network is the S--T!!!!
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post

the NBA ... where defense happens.
Stopped watching NBA years ago, officiating has just taken the fun out of it for me. Over half the commentary in EVERY game is about officiating, followed by the postgame about the officiating. Then the commish landing fines on players because of comments about officiating. Enough is enough.

On topic looking forward to Cooley and Davis striking fear in secondarys this year.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08kessl View Post
He's a pro athlete, is he supposed to say how bad the offense sucks, and how he thinks he's gonna have a shitty year? The difference between then and now is that zorn was completely unproven, and Shanahan, even on his bad teams, always had one of the best offenses in the league.
I'm guessing you didn't actually read any of my post