10 worst Redskins draft picks of the decade

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

10 worst Redskins draft picks of the decade

10 worst Redskins draft picks of the decade | DC Pro Sports Report

Quote:
10. Durant Brooks – Punter taken with the 2nd pick in the 6th round [168th overall] of the 2008 draft. Brooks was given the job in the preseason due almost entirely to his draft status, not his actual performance. Things got worse in the regular season, as Brooks was last in the NFL in gross and net punting averages. By mid-October, the Redskins had had enough and on the 15th of the month, they signed journeyman Ryan Plackemeier to replace Brooks. Brooks was a complete bust who would have ranked higher on this list if he had been taken in a higher round of the draft.

09. Lloyd Harrison – A defensive back from North Carolina State, Harrison was taken with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round [64th overall] of the 2000 draft. Harrison stuck around with the team for a few years, never earning a starting spot or much playing time with the defense. He was cut in August of 2003, having never made much of a contribution.

08. Chad Rinehart – A guard from Northern Iowa, Rinehart was selected late in the 3rd round [96th overall] in 2008. Despite the Redskins being crippled by injuries in the latter half of 2008, Rinehart never got off the bench and often didn’t make the game day active roster. In a league where 3rd round picks are expected to contribute on special teams at the very least, Rinehart did nothing in his rookie season. In 2009, injuries forced Rinehart into the starting lineup in place of Randy Thomas, but he was soon benched for poor performance. He later made it back into the starting lineup due to still more injuries and poor play by others. However, he suffered a broken fibula on November 22 against the Dallas Cowboys and was placed on injured reserve soon after. After two years, this 3rd rounder looks like nothing more than a mediocre backup lineman.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Re: 10 worst Redskins draft picks of the decade

You have an error in your post. You write that Malcolm Kelly has "decent clocked speed ..." That statement only holds true if you were to add the parenthetical (for a defensive lineman). He ran a 4.75 and 4.68 at his Pro Day. Brian Orakpo ran a 4.7 at the combine.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Swarley
The Starter

For a guy just heading into is third year Malcolm is wayyyy too high on the list (shouldnt be on the at all), especially considering where he was picked and the fact that he basically lost a year due to injury.
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some of the names on this list seem a bit ridiculous. And I guess it's more of a testament to our lack of quantity of draft picks than the picks we've made that some of these would make the bottom 10.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

That is the good thing about articles like this. They generate discussion and are opinionated.

I read over the list Tom had and I would have made some slight changes. First, Landry would have been in my top 5 because he is awful at tackling and pass coverage, but not my number 1. I would have likely placed Patrick Ramsey number one. Second, as I told Tom, I am not sure I was ready to pull the trigger on Malcolm Kelly, just yet. But production wise, for where he was drafted, it is pretty awful.

I probably would have had FB Manuel White on there as well. Yes, he was a 4th rounder, but what a horrible pick.

I though about Rod Gardner, but the problem with Gardner is, he drew the ire of Redskins fans. But in reality, in all his years here, his lowest catch total was 46, far cry from Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well the first thing I would do is caveat this. Like worst picks in the first 3 rounds, or something like that. Because for all the talk of how we never draft linemen we actually drafted several-Reggie Coleman, Kili Lefotu, Jim Molinaro, Mark Wilson, Michael Moore-yet they were all 5th-7th round picks so how much did we really expect from them. Then again-Golston, Montgomery, Moore, Horton, Mitchell, Cartwright-all 5th-7th round picks
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Kelly and Thomas are still around the same place in my mind. It's true that Kelly has accomplished less, but neither has really accomplished anything. We could look back on 2009 as Fred Davis' breakout year, but if this was the breakout for either Thomas or Kelly, they don't have a career. I would place both of them in the top ten, but not the top five for the same reasons.

Rinehart wouldn't be on my list. Rogers wouldn't be on my list. I really don't think I'd even have Ramsey on the list, although you have to get to ten somehow. If it's outcome-based reasoning here, you'd have to consider putting ST on the list, because we didn't get much value out of that pick. Of course, that's not because he was a bust (and neither was Rogers), it's because after we made a pretty good pick, things completely out of the teams control caused him to be off the team after 3.5 years.

Taylor Jacobs should be No 1. Rocky McIntosh would definitely be in my top ten, but closer to Kelly and Thomas than the rest of the list. Durant Brooks can represent the late round picks in the top five, I'm okay with that.

Honestly, Ladell Betts would be in my top five. Second round draft pick who was so valuable that we traded another second rounder along with Champ Bailey to bump him down on the depth chart just two years later. Has had a pretty good career as a backup and part timer since then, but that was a second round selection.

Harrison, Baumann, and Russell all good picks.

And Landry, this is just a bad time to be making a bust list about him. He's an easy target for No. 1 now, and perfectly defensible, but if he plays for us next year, he won't be No. 1 if on this list at all. So I mean, it's an emotional pick. But, it's not like he hasn't earned it.

So Jacobs, Brooks, Russell, McIntosh, Baumann, Harrison, Kelly, Landry, Thomas, and Betts would make up my top ten, I guess.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Can't argue at all with Landry -- if you go back and read what was said about him pre-draft, he was supposed to be a lock. I'd like to see what he can do with better coaching.

Rod Gardner should have made the list -- 50/50, and the guy couldn't make it anywhere else in the league. Big mistake by Marty.

I'd also include Todd Husak, even though he was a 6th rounder. He had an interesting quote just after being released -- Schottenheimer told him he couldn't make in this league because of his accuracy. Husak responded: "I think that's funny."

Who's laughing now, Todd?

I'd replace Lloyd Harrison with Manuel White, Jr. We passed up Chris Canty for White, when the D-line was an obvious need. Harrison was cut after shining in preseason with two INTs returned for TDs. Marty replaced him with somebody named Donovan Greer, who was also promptly released after getting burned repeatedly.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Lloyd Harrison got us Morocco Brown (sort of)...so that has to count for something
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

^^ How??
Old 12-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Kelly and Thomas are still around the same place in my mind. It's true that Kelly has accomplished less, but neither has really accomplished anything. We could look back on 2009 as Fred Davis' breakout year, but if this was the breakout for either Thomas or Kelly, they don't have a career. I would place both of them in the top ten, but not the top five for the same reasons.

Rinehart wouldn't be on my list. Rogers wouldn't be on my list. I really don't think I'd even have Ramsey on the list, although you have to get to ten somehow. If it's outcome-based reasoning here, you'd have to consider putting ST on the list, because we didn't get much value out of that pick. Of course, that's not because he was a bust (and neither was Rogers), it's because after we made a pretty good pick, things completely out of the teams control caused him to be off the team after 3.5 years.

Taylor Jacobs should be No 1. Rocky McIntosh would definitely be in my top ten, but closer to Kelly and Thomas than the rest of the list. Durant Brooks can represent the late round picks in the top five, I'm okay with that.

Honestly, Ladell Betts would be in my top five. Second round draft pick who was so valuable that we traded another second rounder along with Champ Bailey to bump him down on the depth chart just two years later. Has had a pretty good career as a backup and part timer since then, but that was a second round selection.

Harrison, Baumann, and Russell all good picks.

And Landry, this is just a bad time to be making a bust list about him. He's an easy target for No. 1 now, and perfectly defensible, but if he plays for us next year, he won't be No. 1 if on this list at all. So I mean, it's an emotional pick. But, it's not like he hasn't earned it.

So Jacobs, Brooks, Russell, McIntosh, Baumann, Harrison, Kelly, Landry, Thomas, and Betts would make up my top ten, I guess.
I dont understand. What's the deal with McInotsh. Remember, there is NO team in the NFL that has all Pro Bowlers. McInotsh is not a great LB, but he is very solid and is a legit starting linebacker.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Brown was offered a very, very low paying internship here ten years ago so he wasn't going to be able to take it because on the weekly salary he got he wouldn't be able to afford living the DC area.

But his NC State classmate Lloyd Harrison offered to let Brown stay with him so he could take the internship...and the rest, as they say, is history
Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
jamf
Pro Bowl

Gardner should be in the top 5.

If Rogers is on the list, why isn't Campbell? We gave up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to get him.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
GusFrerotte

Taylor Jacobs hands down. Kid has a guy land on his abdomen in a preseason game and he see action in what? One game with maybe one catch over a 4 year period? At least Matthews and Weurffel actually played for us and produced something for the $$$$$$$$$.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Gardner should be in the top 5.

If Rogers is on the list, why isn't Campbell? We gave up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to get him.
Haven't you heard, Campbell is going to lead us to the promise land.