Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Cowboys)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Cowboys)

This team just isn't the same without Devin Thomas...

Let's get right to it

Bye Weeks If not for a bye week, this miserable season would have ended yesterday

Offensive Line In all honesty, I really don't know how much I can blame guys like Will Montgomery and Will Robinson. I mean these guys are backups to the backups to the backups. I hate to give them the smackdown because they're probably playing beyond their abilities, which unfortunately just aren't that good. But Levi Jones and Derrick Dockery were especially disappointing. I still can't figure out if Jones has just hit a wall and needs a whole offseason and will bounce back just fine in 2010. Or if he just isn't the answer at all for us.

Jason Campbell The one play that continues to stand out in my mind yesterday was when Campbell looked left before the snap, saw Sensabaugh creeping up, snapped the ball, looked left, saw Scandrick coming toward him (at least I thought he did, he was looking in his direction at least), turned to look the other way and got drilled. That complete lack of presence, in my opinion, was very disconcerting. (The other play was the throw to Davis that got intercepted (it looked very forced).)

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Cowboys)

At the beginning of the season and things were going bad i honestly thought they were a few guys and maybe a new HC away from making some noise. I WAS WRONG, they need to scrap this sh and just start over. We had a poll a few weeks ago about the first 10 players they should cut, hell i'd say who are the 10 you want to keep. I cant name 10 at this time.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Is the season over yet?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Expectations of a successful season have lost their luster weeks ago. With so many of our front line players out of action for extended periods, middle of the season changes and distractions, the end result is only what one of clear conscience could expect.

I guess most of us are just glad there's only one game left and that's on the road. We're left now to watch and wait in anxious anticipation for what the offseason is going to bring.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Division Play We went 0-6 in the division for the first time since 94. Zorn should be canned this morning, preferably right after his press conference (but that is probably just the disgust guiding me). I whole heartedly believed that two solid wins against the NYG and cowpukes would have given Zorn credibility, instead he got nothing from the team, and just added fuel to the laughing stock that the Skins have become in the media. 0-6, unbelievable!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

That was the manifestation of a series of events that lead to an eventual collapse. I started to yell at the TV at one point last night but then realized we were playing 3 OL who probably had no business out there, our 4th RB, our backup TE, our backup WR with a lame duck coach (who I am pretty sure was calling plays all night last night) and shrugged my shoulders like 'What did I expect to happen?'

Campbell looked like pre-Lewis Campbell. Indecisive, tentative, scared of the rush. Reminded me of the KC game. His comments afterwards on Comcast were very telling, saying the situation was unfair and that he was very frustrated with not being given the opportunity to be successful by the lack of depth in some positions. You can also tell how frustrated he seemed to be with Zorn IMO at the 5 minute mark when Zorn punted down 17 points. I think he will embrace a new regime, if he's back.

As much as I don't think turning over 4-5 starting OL in an offseason is ever a wise move, those clowns are awful. We've talked ad nauseam about Heyer and the RG rotation but Levi Jones has played pretty poorly for about 3 straight weeks now. Maybe he can be a RT but he's no longer a starting LT. Rabach is below average and Dockery hasn't shown to be more than just a guy. Obviously this will be job 1 for Shanahallen.

I hope Landry enrolls in some geometry classes because he needs serious work on his angles.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
dmek25
MVP

im laying the smack-down on anyone that says the skins need to draft a quarterback, or best player available. if they don't draft anything but linemen, my head will explode. and if they bring any of the current guys back, except with the intention of using them as back ups, someone needs their head examined
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
That was the manifestation of a series of events that lead to an eventual collapse. I started to yell at the TV at one point last night but then realized we were playing 3 OL who probably had no business out there, our 4th RB, our backup TE, our backup WR with a lame duck coach (who I am pretty sure was calling plays all night last night) and shrugged my shoulders like 'What did I expect to happen?'

Campbell looked like pre-Lewis Campbell. Indecisive, tentative, scared of the rush. Reminded me of the KC game. His comments afterwards on Comcast were very telling, saying the situation was unfair and that he was very frustrated with not being given the opportunity to be successful by the lack of depth in some positions. You can also tell how frustrated he seemed to be with Zorn IMO at the 5 minute mark when Zorn punted down 17 points. I think he will embrace a new regime, if he's back.

As much as I don't think turning over 4-5 starting OL in an offseason is ever a wise move, those clowns are awful. We've talked ad nauseam about Heyer and the RG rotation but Levi Jones has played pretty poorly for about 3 straight weeks now. Maybe he can be a RT but he's no longer a starting LT. Rabach is below average and Dockery hasn't shown to be more than just a guy. Obviously this will be job 1 for Shanahallen.

I hope Landry enrolls in some geometry classes because he needs serious work on his angles.
These last two games looked more like the Pre-Lewis Skins, and Smoot had made the comment that Allen may have let Zorn call all the shots for the Giants game. Can anyone confirm that. Really I am just curious about if Lewis was involved in these two losses, or if his role had been curtailed.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

I can't see how Zorn is calling plays as some people assume. Anytime they show him on the sidelines he's just standing around.

Let's face it the team has packed it in these last two weeks and all the off the field distractions haven't helped either.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
im laying the smack-down on anyone that says the skins need to draft a quarterback, or best player available. if they don't draft anything but linemen, my head will explode. and if they bring any of the current guys back, except with the intention of using them as back ups, someone needs their head examined
I agree completely. I saw someone post last night that we can pick Bradford and then worry about the line later. I just shook my head. If people can watch the last two games and then still think it is a good idea to ignore the line then there is no hope for them. That is the precise thinking that got us in our current position.

If ANYTHING positive comes out of this year, hopefully they will make offensive line and defined leadership trademarks of the organization and we will never have to suffer through this again.

This is the worst season that I can remember. I have never been this frustrated as a fan mainly because a lot of these teams weren't clearly better. Our own team and coaches were our biggest opponent.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
redsk1
The Starter

This season is painful. I can't wait for this team to be blown up. It's embarrassing. JC looked like someone shot his dog out there.

Last night, JC had very little pocket awareness. It's hard to blame him, but he really didn't.

The defense did about as much as they could. AH played a good game.

I can't wait til the offseason.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
These last two games looked more like the Pre-Lewis Skins, and Smoot had made the comment that Allen may have let Zorn call all the shots for the Giants game. Can anyone confirm that. Really I am just curious about if Lewis was involved in these two losses, or if his role had been curtailed.
Are you talking about me, or actually Fred Smoot? Because I don't recall ever saying that
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I agree completely. I saw someone post last night that we can pick Bradford and then worry about the line later. I just shook my head. If people can watch the last two games and then still think it is a good idea to ignore the line then there is no hope for them. That is the precise thinking that got us in our current position.

If ANYTHING positive comes out of this year, hopefully they will make offensive line and defined leadership trademarks of the organization and we will never have to suffer through this again.

This is the worst season that I can remember. I have never been this frustrated as a fan mainly because a lot of these teams weren't clearly better. Our own team and coaches were our biggest opponent.
I said that. Still stand by it. To clarify I said that if we pick 6th and Okung is gone, I'd rather not reach for a OT there and just address the line later. It's a weak OT class in terms of top-flight quality. I'd rather we take someone like Bradford there and then we can still get Trent Williams or Charles Scott high in the 2nd in my opinion (or even Anthony Davis). Maybe trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and add one of the Iowa linemen. Not wanting to reach to grab any offensive lineman high in the draft is not at all the same thing as saying let's ignore the line.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

You simply can't reach for a guy based on need, that's not a sound draft strategy. In no particular order I would like to see us grab a QB, RB, and OT with our first 3 picks.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Dude you're on a roll! These guys are a bunch of bums.