Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Dispute Between Neighbors! Must read & See Pics!

Parking Lot

Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Dispute Between Neighbors! Must read & See Pics!

Dispute Between Neighbours -

A town councillor in Wales, Mark Easton, had a beautiful view of the mountains, until a new neighbour purchased the land below his house and built a new home.
The new home was 18 inches higher than the planning dept had approved, so Mark Easton, mad about his lost view, went to the local authority to make sure they enforced the roof line height.
The new neighbour had to drop the roof height, at great expense.

Recently, Mark Easton called the planning dept, and informed them that his new neighbour had installed some vents on the side of his new property.

Mark didn't like the look of these vents and asked the planning dept to investigate.

When they went to Mark's home to see what the vents looked like, this is what they found...

The Local Authority said the vents can stay since there is no planning law referring to shutter design.

It was actually done very well, quality work.

Overbearing zoning laws, neighbors like this, property taxes and Homeowners' Associations are all reasons I support this guy.

Making him spend money over a foot and a half is ridiculous.

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
cpayne5
Playmaker

Re: Dispute Between Neighbors! Must read & See Pics!

Very nice!

Down the road from me, there is the Great Wall Of Spite. Beginning back in the 60s, two families (whose houses are about 100 yards apart) started feuding. The families hated each other. Fights broke out, arrests were made, suits filed, so on and so on. Then one member of one of the families inherited a ton of money. How did they spend their inheritance? By building a cinder block wall between them and their enemy. It is approximately 200 yards long and 20' high. It is a thing of beauty. I'll try to get some pics sometime.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Very nice!

Down the road from me, there is the Great Wall Of Spite. Beginning back in the 60s, two families (whose houses are about 100 yards apart) started feuding. The families hated each other. Fights broke out, arrests were made, suits filed, so on and so on. Then one member of one of the families inherited a ton of money. How did they spend their inheritance? By building a cinder block wall between them and their enemy. It is approximately 200 yards long and 20' high. It is a thing of beauty. I'll try to get some pics sometime.
I'd like to see that!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

awesome!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Very nice!

A two story cinderblock wall??? Nice. That's some real hatred there!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Dispute Between Neighbours -

A town councillor in Wales, Mark Easton, had a beautiful view of the mountains, until a new neighbour purchased the land below his house and built a new home.
The new home was 18 inches higher than the planning dept had approved, so Mark Easton, mad about his lost view, went to the local authority to make sure they enforced the roof line height.
The new neighbour had to drop the roof height, at great expense.

Recently, Mark Easton called the planning dept, and informed them that his new neighbour had installed some vents on the side of his new property.

Mark didn't like the look of these vents and asked the planning dept to investigate.

When they went to Mark's home to see what the vents looked like, this is what they found...

The Local Authority said the vents can stay since there is no planning law referring to shutter design.

It was actually done very well, quality work.

Overbearing zoning laws, neighbors like this, property taxes and Homeowners' Associations are all reasons I support this guy.

Making him spend money over a foot and a half is ridiculous.
Well if you went out and spent hard earned money for a home and a view you might not think 18" was a bigger deal. Don't get me wrong I understand what your saying but those zoning rules where in place before the home was built. The guy should be mad at the contractor and not the guy who just wants some of his view back and thats probably why they had that zoning rule there in the first place.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

If you know the laws and deliberately disobey them, then yeah... you should have to pay to fix it.

I don't think it's irrational for the homeowner to cause a stir over the view. The property value of his house could easily go down with less of a view. The vents are funny, but the guy is an idiot for building higher than the regulations permit.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

onegoodmove: Only In Utah
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well if you went out and spent hard earned money for a home and a view you might not think 18" was a bigger deal. Don't get me wrong I understand what your saying but those zoning rules where in place before the home was built. The guy should be mad at the contractor and not the guy who just wants some of his view back and thats probably why they had that zoning rule there in the first place.
If he wanted an unobstructed view then he should have bought the plot himself. One thing most are probably missing is that the complainer was a "councillor" which I assume means he is on city or county council and has pull. I know this;in every locality I have ever lived in if the builder messed up and built the house 18 inches too high no way in hell the zoning board make them fix it. 1 foot? No. 2?. No. 3? Possibly.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

That is GREAT! It was only 18 inches...what happened to being neighborly? When I move in introduce myself to others, and when others move in around me, I bring them a welcome basket. I am still laughing over that picture. haha
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

If he wanted the view he should've bought the rest of the land. Dude seriously went to find out that it was 18 inches too high? What a douche, that 18in isn't gonna change anything.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
People aren't entitled to "a view" that I know of. Any house there would've blocked some of the view.. guess he chose the wrong plot of land.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
KLHJ2
Inactive

What pics? :confused:
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah I swear I had seen this before. It's way old news.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
If he wanted an unobstructed view then he should have bought the plot himself. One thing most are probably missing is that the complainer was a "councillor" which I assume means he is on city or county council and has pull. I know this;in every locality I have ever lived in if the builder messed up and built the house 18 inches too high no way in hell the zoning board make them fix it. 1 foot? No. 2?. No. 3? Possibly.
Well in our are just a year or so more a large build rebuilt a fishing peir and they added a bigger restsurant then he was permitted to build. Mainly they built it with a flat roof wich was OK but they also made it a deck which was the issue. The homeowners across the street complained and the city made him tear off the railings and would not aloow it to be used as a deck. This builder has alot of pull in the city but he built this thing just a bit to high an lost in court. My point is that the law is the law and when it goes to court having pull does no good if its against code.

Last edited by firstdown; 03-26-2009 at 09:25 AM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote