Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

K...Ford

Parking Lot

Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
saden1
MVP

K...Ford

Kudos to Ford...I've alway hated on American cars in general but I recently got to drive several Ford cars and I must say I am very impressed with the quality (driving experience and interior quality). They really stepped up their game and doing it big.

If they keep it up and hopefully still around my next car will be a Ford.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 03-10-2009 at 01:26 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: K...Ford

I think the Escape is pretty cool but I am a long way from investing in them.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
dmek25
MVP

isn't ford the only one of the big 3 that didnt ask for a bailout? and i always drive American
Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

I am currently driving a 1998 Ford Explorer with 220,000 miles and nothing major has ever been replaced in the SUV. My biggest repair bill was the drivers side front wheel bearings went out about 1yr ago but other then a few set of tires and batteries its been great. I just purchased a new boat this past weekend and now I need something a little bigger and I'm looking for a slightly used Expedition.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

^ Honestly if you care for most cars and treated them right you will get good life out of them. Only expection is Land Rover, OMG they are the worst cars ever built in the history of car building.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

I've been driving Fords for years now, mostly because my brother sells them so I get a nice discount. I liked the Focus... but I love the Fusion I have now.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer that aside from the tailgate panel cracking (very well known problem) as had no problems whatsoever. It drives great, gets 18-20mpg highway, and fits our family of 4 comfortably. It also helps that my Dad works at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership (VP of Service, along with Jaguar and Land Rover), got the truck used, and his shop had done all the work on it.

However, I did have a 1995 Ford Taurus that had the tranny rebuilt twice and the heater coil go bad, all before 100k miles. The rest of the car was fine though.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
That Guy
Living Legend

i've driven pretty much tauruses for 10 years now, and never had issues with them... and you can generally sell them for what you buy them for (used, and knowing a little about cars).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Yeah, big props to Ford for not asking for a hand-out. They are trying to get back on track the right way. We as Americans need to support that kind of effort.

Me, I drive a 2003 Ford F-150 crew cab, and I love it. My family and I love it when we go on vacation. It rides great for a big truck.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
drew54
The Starter

Unknown fact about Ford

http://http://www.thetruthaboutcars....either-do-you/

Quote:
Ford doesn’t really even own its logo, having mortgaged the blue oval during its $23b borrowing spree.
This spree happened in 2006.

reportonbusiness.com: Ford off the dole, but for how long?

Quote:
Over all, the numbers were ugly, but then, they're ugly everywhere. The real question is, what about the cash? Ford was able to avoid GM's cash crunch because it was better prepared for the auto industry's nuclear winter. Going into 2008, Ford had nearly $35-billion (U.S.) in cash. “The difference between Ford and GM and Chrysler comes down to the fact that when [Ford CEO] Alan Mulally took over two and a half years ago, he went out and mortgaged everything,” said Dennis DesRosiers of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants. It even borrowed against the value of its trademark blue oval logo.

It looked desperate. It was prescient. The credit markets were easy and the rates were good. Ford raised about $23-billion. But last year, it burned through nearly all of that – $21.2-billion. (If you're keeping score, that's a cash burn of about $2.4-million per hour.)
I fear that it wont be long until Ford needs that 9 Billion line of credit from the Gov't.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I think the only Ford I ever drove was a Mustang conv (from Vegas to the Grand Canyon) two years ago. It was literally the worst handling vehicle i've ever sat in. I thought the odometer read about 50,000 miles and figured it had been driven hard as a rental... then when we returned and had to note the mileage I actually saw it had only 5k on it. Literally I laughed my ass off in the middle of a busy parking lot w/ strangers sort of staring.

On the flip side I've heard many people make comments like the rest of you that Ford quality is way up... good to hear. I hope they stay in business.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

One of my old roommates worked at a Ford dealership, they've been having very high customer satisfaction / quality numbers for the past 3-4 years. I'm even considering buying an American vehicle for my next car -- which I never thought would happen.