Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McIntosh & Landry

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

McIntosh & Landry

I don't know if anyone else has been watching these two guys closely... but I have for the past few games and man have they been bad/nonexistent.

Yeah they get a couple of tackles... but McIntosh makes poor read after poor read and Chris Horton plays the way Landry was supposed to... and by the way I am LOVING that guy (it blows my mind how well he is playing)

Landy just tries to "blow up" guys contantly, tucking his arms in and just hitting guys instead of wrapping up... and in the pass game, constantly a step late everywhere...

Neither guy is helping us right now and the both just completely have disappeared this year as a whole... I know McIntosh is coming back from injury but so is Rogers...

Anyone else notice?

Advertisements
Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: McIntosh & Landry

Good eye there. I have noticed the same thing.

Fletcher's play has covered their asses though. Landry is not having quite as good a year as he should be having.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
TaylorMade21
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
I don't know if anyone else has been watching these two guys closely... but I have for the past few games and man have they been bad/nonexistent.

Yeah they get a couple of tackles... but McIntosh makes poor read after poor read and Chris Horton plays the way Landry was supposed to... and by the way I am LOVING that guy (it blows my mind how well he is playing)

Landy just tries to "blow up" guys contantly, tucking his arms in and just hitting guys instead of wrapping up... and in the pass game, constantly a step late everywhere...

Neither guy is helping us right now and the both just completely have disappeared this year as a whole... I know McIntosh is coming back from injury but so is Rogers...

Anyone else notice?
Truthfully I haven't noticed McIntosh playing bad as much as I have Landry. Seriously, he was the first round pick supposed to start opposite Sean Taylor (RIP, my favorite player) but he hasn't lived up to my expectations. I can't believe he has YET to register a regular season INT halfway through his second season in the NFL. I agree, even Chris Horton has outplayed Landry this season. Hopefully he will step up his game soon though.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Teams still fear Landry though, which is very valuable. They've just had a lot more success when throwing deep than last year. A lot of that has to do with Blache's blitz packages, which isolate Landry into stricter coverage responsibilities than Grilliams' schemes used to.

No excuses for Mac, the first four games he was an entirely different and more aggressive player than he is now.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
TaylorMade21
Camp Scrub

Yeah I have noticed McIntosh doesn't seem to be around the ball as much. He needs to study film on D-Ware and Shawn Merriman and become the next LT (Lawrence Taylor, that is).
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I'm really finding a hard time bitching about anyone on our D right now that's not up front on the line. If our line play was better we'd probably be the top D in the league. I think Landry has been asked to guard against the deep ball in many situations and does so pretty well, as evident by the lack of big plays against our D. I think whenever our D deviates from leaving him back there in the zone, QBs notice and pick their passes accordingly. Horton plays closer to the line, so you see him more... I did see Landry make a couple of tackles where dude was flat out flying. He's not ST, but he's a good safety.

As far as McIntosh, I think he's a good starting LB, but not a pro bowler YET.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

I was actually thinking about starting a Landry thread about the same thing basically. He's not a playmaker at the FS position. I think he's better suited to be a SS where he can help in run support and get after the QB more. Having him as a FS in coverage most of the time doesn't do much for us because he's not enough of a ballhawk, and if he was, his hands are comparable to Carlos Rogers'. I'm sure someone will say he's been effective in taking away the deep ball. Yeah, maybe, but his playmaking ability is closer to the line of scrimmage where he can get a lot more tackles, force fumbles, and sack the QB. I think we need a real FS.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post

Anyone else notice?
Are you kidding me?? I'm not bitching about anyone on our defense.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

See, I way disagree with the analysis of Landry, I think aside from Rogers and Fletcher he's pretty much the most valuable player on our defense.

Landry is put in position deep in the middle of the field. His range alone is a major deterrent to teams throwing downfield on us. You don't see him making a ton of huge plays because QBs don't give him the opportunity, they don't often throw deep. And because his range and speed are so incredible, that's exactly why the Redskins can move Horton all over the field and put him into position to make plays. Without Landry's speed, Horton would be forced into a much more conservative role.

It's not all about who gets the tackles and makes the plays, it's also about the plays the other team doesn't even try.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
See, I way disagree with the analysis of Landry, I think aside from Rogers and Fletcher he's pretty much the most valuable player on our defense.

Landry is put in position deep in the middle of the field. His range alone is a major deterrent to teams throwing downfield on us. You don't see him making a ton of huge plays because QBs don't give him the opportunity, they don't often throw deep. And because his range and speed are so incredible, that's exactly why the Redskins can move Horton all over the field and put him into position to make plays. Without Landry's speed, Horton would be forced into a much more conservative role.

It's not all about who gets the tackles and makes the plays, it's also about the plays the other team doesn't even try.
Good post.

Teams that have tried to go vertical on us have had success against Landry. But the teams that haven't tried outnumber the ones that have 2 to 1.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
jamf
Pro Bowl

I'm with Schneed on this one.

Landry is our safety net, We don't want him to have to make every tackle.
He is going to get the majority of his picks when teams are forced to come from behind.
Unfortunately, The redskins havent had a double digit lead all year.

McIntosh has played strong side linebacker, He is often jamming the TE at the line and then dropping off in coverage or attacking the run. Either way, His first priority is the TE.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience View Post
I was actually thinking about starting a Landry thread about the same thing basically. He's not a playmaker at the FS position. I think he's better suited to be a SS where he can help in run support and get after the QB more. Having him as a FS in coverage most of the time doesn't do much for us because he's not enough of a ballhawk, and if he was, his hands are comparable to Carlos Rogers'. I'm sure someone will say he's been effective in taking away the deep ball. Yeah, maybe, but his playmaking ability is closer to the line of scrimmage where he can get a lot more tackles, force fumbles, and sack the QB. I think we need a real FS.
what?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
TaylorMade21
Camp Scrub

Yeah, we need a real FS like Sean Taylor. =(
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
#56fanatic
The Starter

I dont see it. Landry isn't playing close to the line like Horton, so you are going to see horton making more plays on the RB and shorter passes. Landry is the deep safety roaming the field. He has the speed to cover so much ground it would be silly to have him play as Horton is playing. As far as Rocky goes, remember he is coming off the knee injury, so his speed and explosiveness we have seen may not quite be there. They didn't plan on him coming back until midseason anyway, so the fact that he is out contributing says alot to me. I have seen the guy make plays all season. I think what teams are doing is attacking Marcus more than Rocky. You want to talk about someone not being very productive....lets start with Marcus Washington. The last couple of years have not been very stellar...or marcus washington like. He has been injured, but honestly he is more of a liability to me. He has no speed now, no strength to rush the passer or quickness. He may give us a play or two, but overall....he just isn't all that good anymore.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
J. Spanky
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
I'm really finding a hard time bitching about anyone on our D right now that's not up front on the line. If our line play was better we'd probably be the top D in the league. I think Landry has been asked to guard against the deep ball in many situations and does so pretty well, as evident by the lack of big plays against our D. I think whenever our D deviates from leaving him back there in the zone, QBs notice and pick their passes accordingly. Horton plays closer to the line, so you see him more... I did see Landry make a couple of tackles where dude was flat out flying. He's not ST, but he's a good safety.

As far as McIntosh, I think he's a good starting LB, but not a pro bowler YET.
i'm j. spanky and i approve this message