Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jason Campbell and the WCO

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Jason Campbell and the WCO

He just continues to impress me with the way he's picking up this offense. He's getting the ball out quick and he's been very accurate. Not much to hate so far from JC and the WCO that's for sure! So far it's looking like a great fit... what do you think?

Advertisements
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

Re: Jason Campbell and the WCO

I believe that Jason is starting to get it. This system if run correctly can be very hard to stop. Look at Seattle's version of the west coast offense and how many wins they produced. I mean Matt Hasselbeck at times looks unstoppable in this offense. I not that sold on Campbell reading defenses that good but as long as he gets the ball out of his hands quickly we will be alright. I just wish we ran some naked bootlegs and play more into the strenghts of Campbell and his athletic ability.
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I'm sure the bootlegs and getting the ball down the field, we're only seeing a very little bit of the offense. Here's the thing, Zorn being a former QB is going to put Campbell in positions to be successful. He's not going to ask JC to do things he's uncomfortable doing. The game plan will be drawn up each week with the mindset of 'what can Jason do better than the defense can stop him from doing'.

That's the great thing about having a rookie coach vs. Gibbs/Saunders for example. He's not stuck in his ways and trying to make the player fit the ideal of what he thinks the scheme should be or has seen it work "his" way in the past.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
rembrandt
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor View Post
I believe that Jason is starting to get it. This system if run correctly can be very hard to stop. Look at Seattle's version of the west coast offense and how many wins they produced. I mean Matt Hasselbeck at times looks unstoppable in this offense. I not that sold on Campbell reading defenses that good but as long as he gets the ball out of his hands quickly we will be alright. I just wish we ran some naked bootlegs and play more into the strenghts of Campbell and his athletic ability.
I think we are on the right tract for sure. I would like to see a more vertical play. Those passes to the flats will be easy picks. Its predictable. Bootlegs and vert plays have to be used at some point just so we have more balance of plays and keep the def honest . Our running game is great. We need to get the ball down the field and put points on the board. If we go north and south its a lot better then east and west.!!!!
rembrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I'm just a young pup here, so I can't post the link, but Matt Mosely has a quote from Portis about Zorn actually predicting a major play in each game.
Sounds like Portis is buying into Coach Z as well!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Here is Portis' quote after the Buffalo game:

"Coach Z calls out the plays that are going to stand out in the game," Portis said. "It is two weeks in a row that he called out a play that is going to stand out in the game, and he told us exactly what was going to happen. When you get that excitement, it is good for the team."
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Jason went 13-0 (and got robbed not getting to play for a natn'l title) in this offense in his senior year at Auburn, and continued to learn a version of it as a rookie with Bill Musgrave. So it's a much easier transition than, say, a certain 700 page playbook.

JC looks great so far. He's using his check-downs well too. I'm pretty sure Zorn is gradually rolling out the plays in live action. I'm not too concerned about the lack of deep plays thus far. We're working the sidelines and the middle of the field equally well, and the run game looks very good. Save for the rookie WR injuries, I'm very pleased.

Jason has all the tools- He's unflappable, he's becoming a leader, he's tall, mobile, and has a friggin rifle arm, and most importantly, he's got the work ethic. Plus he's only 26. The sky's the limit. I just hope Jansen can keep DE's out of his face.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
rypper11
The Starter

I think JC is the most cerebral QB we've had in a long time (if ever). The fact that he has had any success in the NFL or college is proof that he is special given the number of different systems he has played in. I see him being very good for a long time.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
I think we are on the right tract for sure. I would like to see a more vertical play. Those passes to the flats will be easy picks. Its predictable. Bootlegs and vert plays have to be used at some point just so we have more balance of plays and keep the def honest . Our running game is great. We need to get the ball down the field and put points on the board. If we go north and south its a lot better then east and west.!!!!
Seriously? You do understand that those quick shorter routes are the staple of the WCO offense, right?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
He just continues to impress me with the way he's picking up this offense. He's getting the ball out quick and he's been very accurate. Not much to hate so far from JC and the WCO that's for sure! So far it's looking like a great fit... what do you think?
I think it's preseason, and to point this out yet again, we scored the most points in preseason history when Spurrier started his tenure here, and we came out like lame ducks.
I'm not saying Campbell will fall into that catagory, just saying, I'm waiting before I make any judgement cause it doesn't matter right now.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
JGisLordOfTheRings
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I think it's preseason, and to point this out yet again, we scored the most points in preseason history when Spurrier started his tenure here, and we came out like lame ducks.
I'm not saying Campbell will fall into that catagory, just saying, I'm waiting before I make any judgement cause it doesn't matter right now.
You had to remind me. I had kinda like, blacked the entire Spurrier thing from memory but now, I vividly remember being super hyped that presesaon and getting peed on by SS.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
JSarno,
I dont know why you are minimizing preseason so much.
It is a great way to evaluate talent and implement new systems.

You have a point about Spurrier, but don't forget people had blinders on because of this "new offensive genius" who was going to light it up in the NFL.
The reality is he had the starters playing against 2nd and 3rd string....and that doesn't mean jack.

In comparison, look at last 2 years offensive struggles in preseason, particularly in the passing game. I was concerned then as I knew it was a matter of legitamate 1st string on 1st string struggles....and it translated to the seaason.

Many of us watch the preseason to evaluate talent and get a feel for how effective the new offense will be. At this point, I'd say I am optimistic.
I too am skeptical of pre-season but I dont discount it completely
Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
skins009
Impact Rookie

I"m happy with jason and the progress of the offense so far. The only guy that worries me is Jon Jansen. He can't block anybody. I'm gonna predict it now, I think Chad Rinehart my be starting at right tackle sooner rather than later.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Jason went 13-0 (and got robbed not getting to play for a natn'l title) in this offense in his senior year at Auburn, and continued to learn a version of it as a rookie with Bill Musgrave. So it's a much easier transition than, say, a certain 700 page playbook.

JC looks great so far. He's using his check-downs well too. I'm pretty sure Zorn is gradually rolling out the plays in live action. I'm not too concerned about the lack of deep plays thus far. We're working the sidelines and the middle of the field equally well, and the run game looks very good. Save for the rookie WR injuries, I'm very pleased.

Jason has all the tools- He's unflappable, he's becoming a leader, he's tall, mobile, and has a friggin rifle arm, and most importantly, he's got the work ethic. Plus he's only 26. The sky's the limit. I just hope Jansen can keep DE's out of his face.
this is a good post, and i believe, dead on
Old 08-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
KokoMike
Camp Scrub

Our offense has struggled for many years. The defense has improved over that time. Defense was # 11 last year in points allowed. Last year, we averaged under 21 points a game (18th) and we still made the playoffs. It looks like the offense should score more points this year. I long for the day when we ranked # 1 in offense (1991: 30.3 points per game, with an average differential of 16.3 points). We went 14-2 that year and won the Super Bowl, as you know.

We need to score, on average, another TD per game. If we can do that, we are on our way!

I think it is possible, but I also think the Redskins are going to win the Super Bowl every year.
KokoMike is offline   Reply With Quote