Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

John Lynch is available, should we make a move?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
4olddc
Camp Scrub

John Lynch is available, should we make a move?

Lynch is 37, but he's a great player and leader. If we can get him for a decent price and is willing to go along with our schemes, I think he would be a fantastic pickup. Thoughts?

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: John Lynch is available, should we make a move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4olddc View Post
Lynch is 37, but he's a great player and leader. If we can get him for a decent price and is willing to go along with out schemes, I think he would be a fantastic pickup. Thoughts?
What in the world are you talking about?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
rypper11
The Starter

Yes, yes and yes. Put him in at strong safety for a year with Reed playing spot duty and special teams.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
4olddc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
John Lynch; he played safety for the Broncos. Several places are reporting that he has left the team and is either looking for a new one or he wants to go into broadcasting.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
rypper11
The Starter

here's a link:

The Canadian Press: Report: Denver Broncos safety John Lynch wants to leave the team

PS: I don't think he was asking who Lynch is, just what news item are you referring to.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Wow. I guess he's done. He should hang it up. He's had a great career.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
jamf
Pro Bowl

No!
No more retreads.

At some point a player has to earn their roster spot. Make a young guy earn the spot and we will be better off down the road.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Yes, yes and yes. Put him in at strong safety for a year with Reed playing spot duty and special teams.
Quote:
Lynch is 37, but he's a great player and leader. If we can get him for a decent price and is willing to go along with our schemes, I think he would be a fantastic pickup. Thoughts?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
WaldSkins
Playmaker

No thank you John Lynch.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Ok, now that I got that out of my system it's time to argue. The stigma that Reed Doughty is not a starter in this league is killing me and the view that we need to replace him after he proved himself to the point of earning a starting job this year is obsurd.

Now before I get further into this argument let me say that I think the anxiousness to replace Doughty with a bigger name is based, for a good amount of people, on lossing a player like Sean Taylor. I think people got use to the idea of having two big name safetys and they want that back. Thats why every available safety that pops up gets a strong push from "lobbyist" here on the Warpath. Other people just want the Redskins to have better Madden players so they can use them when the game comes out.

With that said, the last time we ignored a productive player on our roster in favor of a big name we signed Adam Archuletta and let Ryan Clark go to the Steelers. Afterwards people were begging for Ryan Clark to come back in the months leading up to the draft.

I don't know the KC Joyner metrics on how Reed played last year but we do have numbers such as tackles and such that we can match up with endorsements from the coaching staff. First of all his performance at SS when he started looks identical in terms of numbers when compared to Landry's time at SS and as I have stated before, if Doughty is as good as a rookie (first 8 or so games) Laron Landry then awesome.

On top of that Doughty was cited by Cooley as the hardest working player this offseason and by Cooleys own admission he see's Doughty having a breakout year. Now does this mean it will happen, not necessarily (see JP Losman), but SS is a lot easier to play then QB and Doughty performed well at SS last year. If someone can prove otherwise please let me know as I only have numbers, endorsements, and overall defensive performance to go on at this point so if someone has anything else to counter this then let me know.

However everyone's favorite new Redskin Stuart Schwiegert has yet to convince Blache that a Landry-Schweigert combo is better then a Landry-Doughty combo. And untill we see otherwise I am going to continue to endorse Doughty as the starting SS for 2008. He's at least earned that.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 07-30-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
4olddc
Camp Scrub

I don't think we should pick up Lynch to replace any of our guys, but rather, to mentor them. Our 4 safeties are very young guys, I think being around someone like Lynch would be a great influence.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
I don't think we should pick up Lynch to replace any of our guys, but rather, to mentor them. Our 4 safeties are very young guys, I think being around someone like Lynch would be a great influence.
Oh well thats different then, but at the same time I doubt that Lynch would accept a backup role especially considering that

1. He has a Super Bowl Ring
2. He's been a starter for over 10 years
3. He's financially secure
4. He's considering going into broadcasting, leading me to believe that he's ready to move on to life after football (unlike some people lol).

so even if the front office was willing to sign him, I doubt they get bring him in under those circumstances. And on top of that I don't know if he would accept a vet min type contract which I imagine is all we could offer him after the Jason Taylor trade. I know some might want to bring up Troy Vincent but I see John Lynch and Troy Vincent as two very different situations.

- FRPLG
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ok, now that I got that out of my system it's time to argue. The stigma that Reed Doughty is not a starter in this league is killing me and the view that we need to replace him after he proved himself to the point of earning a starting job this year is obsurd.

Now before I get further into this argument let me say that I think the anxiousness to replace Doughty with a bigger name is based, for a good amount of people, on lossing a player like Sean Taylor. I think people got use to the idea of having two big name safetys and they want that back. Thats why every available safety that pops up gets a strong push from "lobbyist" here on the Warpath. Other people just want the Redskins to have better Madden players so they can use them when the game comes out.

With that said, the last time we ignored a productive player on our roster in favor of a big name we signed Adam Archuletta and let Ryan Clark go to the Steelers. Afterwards people were begging for Ryan Clark to come back in the months leading up to the draft.

I don't know the KC Joyner metrics on how Reed played last year but we do have numbers such as tackles and such that we can match up with endorsements from the coaching staff. Doughty has both. First of all his performance at SS when he started looks identical in terms of numbers when compared to Landry's time at SS and as I have stated before, if Doughty is as good as a rookie (first 8 or so games) Laron Landry then awesome.

On top of that Doughty was cited by Cooley as the hardest working player this offseason and by Cooleys own admission he see's Doughty having a breakout year. Now does this mean it will happen, not necessarily (see JP Losman), but SS is a lot easier to play then QB and Doughty performed well at SS last year. If someone can prove otherwise please let me know as I only have numbers, endorsements, and overall defensive performance to go on at this point so if someone has anything else to counter this then let me know.

However everyone's favorite new Redskin Stuart Schwiegert has yet to convince Blache that a Landry-Schweigert combo is better then a Landry-Doughty combo. And untill we see otherwise I am going to continue to endorse Doughty as the starting SS for 2008. He's at least earned that.
You get that with any big name free agent on the Warpath. People see these big name free agents and automatically want the skins to sign them. Then when they flop, those same people get on here and complain about how Snyder doesn't get it and that he should build through the draft and not waste the salary cap on these big names.

Doughty is a very capable safety. He will have a great season especially with a improved DL.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

No thanks. If he were 2-3 years younger, then I'd probably be alright with signing him. It's bad enough when a player if over 30, it's even worse if they are closer to 40 than 30.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
wilsowilso

I wonder how many times we are going to have to go through this as the mass of aging veterans start getting released during the pre-season?

Let's try and follow some simple guidelines.

1. If the player is old as dirt don't bother.
2. If the player is washed up don't bother.
3. If the player doesn't address and area of need like LB don't bother.
Closed Thread