Tony Stewart Set to Leave Joe Gibbs Racing

Other Sports

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tony Stewart Set to Leave Joe Gibbs Racing

ESPN - Sources: Stewart granted release from Gibbs, will move to Haas - Racing

Good Riddance to that punk! Never liked him anyway

Seriously though, sorry to see him go but it's a great opportunity for him so I don't begrudge him. I hope he does well, but not well enough of course. As I've mentioned before my loyalty is to JGR first, and Tony Stewart second. I'm stoked for Joey Logano and eventually Marc Davis to join the team. Kyle Busch is completely dominant. Not a fan of Denny Hamlin, wish he was the one moving on, but what can you do?

Advertisements
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Re: Tony Stewart Set to Leave Joe Gibbs Racing

Tony's a top tier diver and that has to hurt. Any word on a replacement?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

They'll probably add Logano to the lineup next year. He's good, very very good
Old 07-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
dmek25
MVP

i don't know anything about nascar, but ESPN was talking about some 18 year old kid, that's considered a potential superstar. and Stewart just got paid. part ownership, and the highest paid driver
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i don't know anything about nascar, but ESPN was talking about some 18 year old kid, that's considered a potential superstar. and Stewart just got paid. part ownership, and the highest paid driver
That'd be Joey Logano. There have been some JP Montoya rumors as well
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
FRPLG
MVP

Unless they think Logano can't handle it yet I can't see them going in any other direction. The guy has superstar written all over him.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

It's bittersweet for me. I'm a Stewart fan through and through, and figured he'd stay at JGR. But I can't blame him. Ownership plus highest paid driver in NASCAR. Not too shabby. However, he's still my driver, and I will continue to root for JGR cars as well.

As far as JGR goes, they won't miss a beat. Between Kyle and Denny, they have 2 solid young drivers that will be consistently in the top 12, as well as Joey Logano, who has a great future ahead of him in the #20 Home Depot Toyota.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

At first, I thought, wow that's a huge blow.

Then I realized that both Busch and Hamlin are having MUCH better seasons.

Goodbye Tony.

He probably just wanted to get out of Toyotas and back into a Domestic car.

Please NOT Montoya, he's horrible. Open wheel racing is his thing.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

Tony, or anyone, would be stupid not to take that deal. As someone that is seriously considering my own business, I certainly feel happy for the guy with this opportunity. I still don't like him as a driver, but how can anyone begrudge someone for doing something like this? It's a great move for him.

Getting Montoya would be an absolutely moronic move for JGR for a lot of reasons, but let us not forget that Montoya just wrecked Busch on purpose recently even AFTER the caution was out. He even admitted it!!! If JGR got Montoya, I think a lot of people would lose respect for a respectful man.(Gibbs) You might as well call it "Hot head racing" if Montoya joins the team.
Losing Stewart will hurt, but he is respected in NASCAR. Montoya is not. Logano is the answer if you're a JGR fan.

I wonder if this will hurt Stewart as a top 10 driver? He's almost always in the top 10 (I know he's 12th right now), but will going to an inferior racing team help him as a driver or hurt him? My thought is hurt him, but I also thought going to toyota for JGR was a death sentence...clearly I was wrong there.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Riggo44
The Starter

When I first heard about Tony leaving I was bummed out. But I’ve gotten over it. I really like Stewart but my loyalties lie with JGR. I started out a Bobby Labonte fan loving the bright green Interstate Batteries car. But then he left and it became all about Stewart. I was behind JJ.Yelley too but his poor ass driving made it hard to care. For some odd reason I never cared about Denny and the #11 car but that’s starting to change a little. Now with the way K.Busch is tearing up the circuit this year it looks like #18 car is back!
After following JGR for the past 10 yr’s it’s become pretty apparent that in NASCAR like any other pro league there is always going to be changes in personnel. So you can either pick a driver and follow him from team to team throughout his career. Or pick a racing team and stick with them. Since I really didn’t now a thing about NASCAR when my friends took me to my first race I choose Labonte because he raced for Joe Gibbs. It was always about Gibbs for me and that’s where my loyalty will stay.
Good luck to Tony Stewart next year he’s a great guy that helped JGR just as much as JGR helped him.
I am really excited to see what Joey Logano can do in the #20 car next year so bring it on.

Last edited by Riggo44; 07-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Riggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I wonder if this will hurt Stewart as a top 10 driver? He's almost always in the top 10 (I know he's 12th right now), but will going to an inferior racing team help him as a driver or hurt him? My thought is hurt him, but I also thought going to toyota for JGR was a death sentence...clearly I was wrong there.
It might at first, but I think Stewart will have plenty of control over hiring personnel for his team, and in that, he's only going to surround himself with guys who will help him succeed. He's gone as far to thank JGR for showing him how to build a proper race team, and has used what he's learned towards his USAC and World of Outlaws teams. Add the fact that he's a top notch driver, and the only thing in his way he how he and his team perform week in and week out.

The other rumor is that he'll bring Ryan Newman into the fold, and while he's not Jeff Gordon, Newman is a good driver.

The only downfall to this whole thing is money. If somehow Tony isn't able to keep sponsors for the racing team, the money will dry up and he'll be up shit's creek sans paddle. Honestly, I don't think that'll be a problem.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
redskinsfanatic

my neighbors work for nascar selling tshirts and other nascar stuff at every nascar race.
they tell me that TS is the biggest asshole on the whole circuit.he's rude and they say he treats fans like shit too.good riddance.he must be an asshole if he can't work for joe gibbs.i wish he would have done this last year and maybe gibbs could have singed dale jr.
redskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfanatic View Post
my neighbors work for nascar selling tshirts and other nascar stuff at every nascar race.
they tell me that TS is the biggest asshole on the whole circuit.he's rude and they say he treats fans like shit too.good riddance.he must be an asshole if he can't work for joe gibbs.i wish he would have done this last year and maybe gibbs could have singed dale jr.
He's opinionated, and holds grudges if you cross him. But he's not an asshole, not by a long shot.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfanatic View Post
Hell no...Dale Jr is Hendrick's! Stay away! haha.

There are lots of stories of people having difficulty with Stewart. Your neighbor isn't the only guy that has called him an asshole.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
redskinsfanatic

my ex brother in law is 2nd in charge at the martinsville speedway,and he hates him with a passion too.i love the way he races,but somebody just needs to beat the ever loving hell out of him because of the way he is off the track.
hey,but i'm a number 88 fan too,and always will be.
redskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote