Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ready for the West Coast?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What Unit Is Least Prepared for the West Coast Offense?
Running Back 9 7.14%
Offensive Line 26 20.63%
Quarterback 57 45.24%
Tight End 1 0.79%
Wide Receiver 33 26.19%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Ready for the West Coast?

So with the upcoming West Coast Offense, there's been a lot of talk about how will Campbell will adjust to playing in that system.

But I don't think that's the biggest issue really. I think where we need to be concerned is at the WR position. Our top two guys-Moss and El-seem ill prepared to be elite receivers in the WCO. Granted, they're tough and quick and have shown they can go over the middle? But on a regular basis?

I love Moss and would hate to see him go, but will he be wasted here in DC now? Will Anthony Mix suddenly become indespensible? Does Malcolm Kelly become a draft priority? Will Robin escape the clutches of The Penguin? Can Batman Save Gotham? Tune in tomorrow....

Seriously though, vote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Ready for the West Coast?

This goes back to what I was saying in another thread, and that's the assumption that smaller receivers are any less effective in the WCO than another system. To me, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Smaller receivers have every bit as good of a chance to succeed in the WCO as bigger receivers.

The bigger issue at stake with Moss is whether or not he can hold his own as a starting NFL receiver anymore. I could care less whether or not we think he's too small for a philosophy change.

I don't think I can vote for any of these answers since our runners will actually adapte better to a system that relies on them less than they did to the prior one.

Put on the spot though, I have to wonder how Portis and Betts will do as receivers. Not that they can't, just that they didn't do any of it in the last two years.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Will Robin escape the clutches of The Penguin? Can Batman Save Gotham? Tune in tomorrow....

Seriously though, vote
F'ING HILARIOUS!!!

I say Campbell...quick reads is the name of the game in that offense, and I think that's one of his biggest weaknesses right now....with that said, I think he will pick it up and possibly thrive in a west coast sorta offense. The person with the least problem with it....Cooley....aka Mr. Solid.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
This goes back to what I was saying in another thread, and that's the assumption that smaller receivers are any less effective in the WCO than another system. To me, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Smaller receivers have every bit as good of a chance to succeed in the WCO as bigger receivers.

The bigger issue at stake with Moss is whether or not he can hold his own as a starting NFL receiver anymore. I could care less whether or not we think he's too small for a philosophy change.

I don't think I can vote for any of these answers since our runners will actually adapte better to a system that relies on them less than they did to the prior one.

Put on the spot though, I have to wonder how Portis and Betts will do as receivers. Not that they can't, just that they didn't do any of it in the last two years.
Portis had 47 catches this year and Betts had 53 in 2006.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

my biggest concern, is campbell, but we'll see. I am also concerned with the wideout positions, though. I don't really think we're set there, no matter what system we're running. Moss was very inconsistent last year and I think he's shown he's a stellar #2, as well as ARE. Lloyd sucks. Caldwell was pretty clutch and can handle the offense, as shown in NE, but who knows if we'll re-sign him.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
QBall
Special Teams

Don't think we're going to see a big difference in the Offense. Most NFL offenses are heavily dictated by personel.

Not going to be a "West Coast" offense like san Fran in the days. This is going to be a verticle attacking pass happy version. More run and shoot type of style.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
wolfeskins
The Starter

so, are we gonna be looking at a more pass oriented offense ? that would be good,there is definately more passing in todays game then in gibbs first go around. i don't think gibbs really ever adapted to that change in his 2nd stint. i hope, whoever is the new coach, has a more liberal attitude towards passing the ball.
if thats the case, then i'd say the o-line may have the hardest time adjusting.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
QBall
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
so, are we gonna be looking at a more pass oriented offense ? that would be good,there is definately more passing in todays game then in gibbs first go around. i don't think gibbs really ever adapted to that change in his 2nd stint. i hope, whoever is the new coach, has a more liberal attitude towards passing the ball.
if thats the case, then i'd say the o-line may have the hardest time adjusting.
Yeah I agree with that.

Think we're in store for some big plays in the air and we may need to look at another top wide out instead of CB or DE with our 1st round pick......
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
Yeah I agree with that.

Think we're in store for some big plays in the air and we may need to look at another top wide out instead of CB or DE with our 1st round pick......
maybe a wr but they definately still need some defensive help.

you know, with gibbs, saunders and williams gone, i wonder whats going to happen with Lloyd. the new staff could possibly keep him.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
squrrelco3
Special Teams

I think Campbell will do fine in the WCO he's actually ran it before I think it was offense #3?...lol I'm more concerned about the wideouts...they are a little undersized and had alot of probems dropping balls last year...the WCO needs big receivers that can hang onto the ball and are hard to bring down after the catch.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
skinsnut
Playmaker

Boy, this is a really good question.
The skins have NEVER had a west coast system.

I said QB because it is quite a shift in philosophy and campbell is still figuring out how to be a NFL QB...but I can see an offensive line that has a smashmouth mentality having some issues.
Dink and dunk requires a nimble line...we probably need another TE with hands for short yardage situations...Cooley should do well.

I too am concerned about small recievers doing slants for 16 games...they could get hurt.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
squrrelco3
Special Teams

Right now our two biggest receivers are Billy McMullin at 6-4 and Anthony Mix at 6-5.

I remember McMullin from UVA, Al Groh used a Pro-Style offense there, Mix and Campbell got WCO exposure together at Auburn...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Tough to tell at this point, I went with WR since I think we need an upgrade there regardless of a new system. Moss is just injured too much and even when he was on the field this year he was disappointing with the drops/fumbles.

Obviously JC learning another new system will be an adjustment, but it might be a better fit for him in the end.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I went with O-line. IMO, it really doesn't matter what system you run. You still need good protection to give the QB enough time to go through his progressions and you need a solid running game to keep the defense honest.

I think its pretty obvious that we need more depth at the WR position. I also think that JC will be adjust with no problem. As far as RB's go, we will be fine. I like our depth there.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Longtimefan
Playmaker

With maybe just a few exceprions I believe we have in place personell caspable of being able to adaquately execute what we have come to know as the "west coast offense"

The Objective:

Spread the defense out horizontally as well as vertically, forcing slower linebackers into coverage.

Maintain possession of the football by utilizing a short passing attack almost as an extention of the running game

Create mismatches with speed, or number of receivers.

Avoid tendencies that defenses can key on by throwing on any down and distance.

Ideal Player Qualities:

Quarterback - More of a focus is placed on decision-making and accuracy over arm strength in this system. A Quarterback must be able to choose from multiple options and deliver the ball quickly. Mobility is also a big plus.

Running Back - In the west coast offense, running backs are generally used more as receivers out of the backfield than in other systems, so you need a guy with all-around skills. Good hands and route running skills are a must.

Tight End - The Tight End's role is generally that of a possession receiver and blocker. The ability to catch the ball in traffic is a huge plus.

Wide Receiver - Withe the focus on a short passing attack, precision and timing are of the utmost importance, soreceivers have to run precise routes. Straight-line speed isn't as important as the ability to seperate in traffic. And, the ability to make plays after the catch can turn a good receiver into a superstar in this offense.

Offensive Linemen - You're generally not trying to pound the ball the ball on the ground in the West Coast Offense, so guys who can consistently blow defenders off the ball is not necessary. Actually quicker, more mobile linemen are more ideal because of their ability to pull or get outside in a rolling pocket on plays designed to get the Quarterback outside.

This offense is a finesse offense that utilizes a short passing game designed to control the ball.

In most conventional offenses', the idea is to run the ball to draw the safeties and linebackers in closer to the line of scrimmage, thus opening up passing lanes for a vertical attack. The West Coast Offense does just the opposite, using a quick, horizontal passing attack to set up the running game.

Teh West Coast Offense employs a variety of formations and pre-snap motions designed to confuse defenders. It also relys heavily on an ability to flood a defense with more receivers than they can handle. The Quarterback often moves around more than in a conventional offense with designed roll-outs and bootlegs that are tied in with the patterns being run by the receivers.

We do have personell to fit the bill, maybe with the exception being mobility in the offensive line.