Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is it really that Bad?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
skinsfan242
Special Teams

Is it really that Bad?

Okay. Don't get me wrong I strongly believe Gregg Williams should be the coach.

But I will give Snyder credit for one thing. It appears during all these interviews he got a consensus of who the people would want as their coordinators. So anybody he hires should not have a problem with the coordinators.

I also believe that he already ran theese cordinators by Spagnolo (sp) and he has agreed as well.

It looks more and more like there will be plenty of stability with some new fresh ideas so it may not be that bad. All the coaches on defense appear to be coming back and most on offense, and you have a new Offensive coordinator whose expertise is developing QB's which is critical.

All this could end up bad say if Fassel is hired but I would not mind seeing Meeks or Spanolo as our next head coach. They would have the benefit of coaching a team that has some real talent.
skinsfan242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Is it really that Bad?

To answer the simple question of the thread, no it's not that bad.

For everyone who was yelling that continuity was out the window, it sure doesn't look that way now with a good portion of the staff returning and Blache promoted to DC.

I like what someone said in another thread, consider this a remodeling of the staff, not a rebuilding. Props to whoever said that, sorry I don't remember who did in order to give proper credit.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Nice!
Who's our T-shirt guy?
I want that on a shirt

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
"We're remodeling, not rebuilding"
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Well, I think it is that bad. I just looked up Blache's record as a DC, in Chicago, it goes like this:
2003-14th
2002-25th
2001-15th
2000-16th
1999-29th
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
To answer the simple question of the thread, no it's not that bad.

For everyone who was yelling that continuity was out the window, it sure doesn't look that way now with a good portion of the staff returning and Blache promoted to DC.

I like what someone said in another thread, consider this a remodeling of the staff, not a rebuilding. Props to whoever said that, sorry I don't remember who did in order to give proper credit.
http://www.redskinswarpath.com/413307-post33.html
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Well, I think it is that bad. I just looked up Blache's record as a DC, in Chicago, it goes like this:
2003-14th
2002-25th
2001-15th
2000-16th
1999-29th
A lot of it depends on the players too. The Redskins already have a defense with top 10 talent and the system is already in place. It's going to be the same defense that we had before, just a different person calling the plays.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
2003-14th
2002-25th
2001-15th
2000-16th
1999-29th
Here are the Defensive Scoring numbers:
2003 - 22nd
2002 - 25th
2001 - 1st
2000 - 20th
1999 - 20th

Here is an excerpt from the press release on Blanche & Zorn's hiring: "Blache joined the Redskins in 2004 after five seasons as Chicago’s defensive coordinator. In both cities his units earned a reputation – with the statistics to back it up – as solid, aggressive forces. At Washington, he shares credit for the defensive unit being ranked in the League’s top 10 for three of his four seasons (8th, 9th, 3rd). The story was similar in Chicago, where Blache’s Bears defense was a consistent hard-hitting group, regularly being ranked in the League’s top 10."

I'm not arguing he did a good job here as D-Line coach, but based on the actual statistics both statements are flat out wrong.

My hope is Meeks will be the HC and calling the defense. Blanche can be the DC on paper and D-Line coach, if the stats from TO & I are correct. Am I missing something here?
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Here are the Defensive Scoring numbers:
2003 - 22nd
2002 - 25th
2001 - 1st
2000 - 20th
1999 - 20th

Here is an excerpt from the press release on Blanche & Zorn's hiring: "Blache joined the Redskins in 2004 after five seasons as Chicago’s defensive coordinator. In both cities his units earned a reputation – with the statistics to back it up – as solid, aggressive forces. At Washington, he shares credit for the defensive unit being ranked in the League’s top 10 for three of his four seasons (8th, 9th, 3rd). The story was similar in Chicago, where Blache’s Bears defense was a consistent hard-hitting group, regularly being ranked in the League’s top 10."

I'm not arguing he did a good job here as D-Line coach, but based on the actual statistics both statements are flat out wrong.

My hope is Meeks will be the HC and calling the defense. Blanche can be the DC on paper and D-Line coach, if the stats from TO & I are correct. Am I missing something here?
What were your metrics? What was the press release's?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Nice!
Who's our T-shirt guy?
I want that on a shirt

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
"We're remodeling, not rebuilding"
I'd prefer this shirt:

Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What were your metrics? What was the press release's?
Here is the site I pulled the Defensive Scoring (Points Allowed) ranking numbers from:

1999 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

The numbers on the site appear to be in-line with what appeared to be Defensive Yards Allowed from TO's post. His quote got me curious. You can pull the other years from the site.

The press release was posted on JLC's blog and mentioned "The Redskins issued this release":

Gregg Williams Is Gone, Blache Promoted - Redskins Insider
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Here is the site I pulled the Defensive Scoring (Points Allowed) ranking numbers from:

1999 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

The numbers on the site appear to be in-line with what appeared to be Defensive Yards Allowed from TO's post. His quote got me curious. You can pull the other years from the site.

The press release was posted on JLC's blog:

Gregg Williams Is Gone, Blache Promoted - Redskins Insider
So you went with points, Killa went with yards, and we don't know what Redskins PR went with?

Who were the stars of some of those Bears Defenses? What about the offense?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I'd prefer this shirt:

this should be an avatar...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So you went with points, Killa went with yards, and we don't know what Redskins PR went with?

Who were the stars of some of those Bears Defenses? What about the offense?
I don't know what category the Skins PR could've used. Yards, Points Allowed, Yds Per Play, TO Differential? None of these metrics put them in the top 10.

On offense: QBs - Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart. RBs - Curtis Enis, James Allen, Anthony Thomas. WRs - Marty Booker, Marcus Robinson.

2003 Defense: Phillip Daniels, Alex Brown, Briggs, Urlacher, McQuarters, Azumah, Mike Brown

2002 Defense: same, except Colvin instead of Briggs.

2001 Defense: Daniels, Ted Washington, Colvin, Urlacher, McQuarters, Azumah, Brown

2000 Defense: Daniels, Colvin, Urlacher, Walt Harris, Mike Brown

1999 Defense: Tom Carter, Walt Harris, no one else stands out
Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

whaaa???

it's an entire 180 on offense, from vertical to west coast, and it's the absolute wrong offense for the quarterback we've got right now (his thing is pretty deep balls. his short stuff ain't special).

yeah, on defense, we'll probably run a similar system, but on offense, we're forcing our QB into ANOTHER new system with serious questions about whether it's really the right thing for him. we'll probably need another #1 WR as santana hamstring insurance while we're at it too.

that's beside the fact that the new guys aren't nearly as good as the old ones... at least not judging by history.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
whaaa???

it's an entire 180 on offense, from vertical to west coast, and it's the absolute wrong offense for the quarterback we've got right now (his thing is pretty deep balls. his short stuff ain't special).

yeah, on defense, we'll probably run a similar system, but on offense, we're forcing our QB into ANOTHER new system with serious questions about whether it's really the right thing for him. we'll probably need another #1 WR as santana hamstring insurance while we're at it too.

that's beside the fact that the new guys aren't nearly as good as the old ones... at least not judging by history.
Obviously the biggest changes will come on the offensive side, but Bugel is coming back.

I wouldn't be so quick to say the WC is the wrong fit for JC.