Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins vs. Packers predictions

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Redskins vs. Packers predictions

Quick Take: Redskins (3-1) at Packers (4-1)

NFL.com

Last meeting
The Packers beat the Redskins, 28-14, on Oct. 31, 2004. Green Bay, led by Ahman Green's two rusing touchdowns, scored on its first three possessions, driving 69, 75 and 76 yards en route to a 17-0 lead.

Streaks
The Packers have won the last three games and lead the overall series 16-12-1.

Sam Greenwood / Getty Images
Based on his 23-for-29, 248 yard passing performance, Redskins QB Jason Campbell is a Week 5 FedEx Air & Ground Players of the Week Award nominee.

Last week
Coming off a bye week, the Redskins and their defense made a statement, holding a prolific Lions offense to just 144 total yards in a 34-3 win. Washington also dominated the time of possession, and QB Jason Campbell targeted eight different receivers in completing 23-of-29 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns. ... The Packers let a 10-point halftime lead slip away in a 27-20 loss to Chicago. Green Bay committed five turnovers, including two interceptions by Brett Favre and a pair of fumbles by rookie WR James Jones.

At stake
The Redskins hope to hold on to the momentum from last week and keep up with the unbeaten Cowboys in the NFC East. The Packers would like to put their second-half debacle in the rear-view mirror and show that their performance Sunday night was an aberration -- and their first four and a half quarters were not.

Key matchup
Redskins secondary vs. Favre. The Redskins' third-ranked defense has allowed a league-low four touchdowns this season, evenly split on the ground and through the air. This week they'll try to stop the Packers' top-ranked pass attack. Led by defensive end Andre Carter (safety, two sacks), the Redskins brought down John Kitna five times last week and intercepted him twice, while holding him to a season-low 104 passing yards. Favre has carried his team this season, but he will eventually need help from his running game, although that task might be tougher this week with center Scott Wells out with a broken eye socket.

Did you know?
This game features two starting quarterbacks from Mississippi. Washington's Jason Campbell hails from Taylorsville and Favre is from Kiln. ... WR Donald Driver has a reception in 85 consecutive games, the second-longest streak in team history (behind Sterling Sharpe's 103).
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: From NFL.com Quicktake Skins vs. Packers

Broken eye socket! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Re: From NFL.com Quicktake Skins vs. Packers

I'm pumped already. Let's just make this the predicition thread shall we?

I see this game going in similar way to the Lions game. The Pack rely heavily on the passing game and while their ground game isn't quite as pathetic as the Lions they'll at least try to establish a ground game.

Favre is no Kitna, but Favre can be forced into making some bad decisions and his mobility isn't quite what it once was. Defensively the Skins should just take last week's gameplan and transfer most of it over to this week. Contain the Packers through the air and force them to run.

Offensively Campbell is the key again this week I believe. His accuracy was outstanding last week and he needs to keep that going. As usual our running game is another big key, the Packers D is arguably the best D we've faced so far.

My prediction is

Skins 20
Pack 10

I just don't see the Packers being able to solve our D.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Redskins vs. Packers predictions

I think our offense continues to roll and improve with each coming week. I think Favre will get his TDs, but we will score far more:

Skins 27, Packers 17.

They'll keep it close until the middle of the third quarter where our running game wears down their defense.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

We get revenge for losing the last time...wasn't that the phantom call on Portis in motion that reversed a would be touchdown? i remember being at the game- and something like that went down...

Skins win 24-13
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
12thMan
MVP

I'm pretty sure, we'll go with a pretty similiar game plan from last week.

I do think, however, we'll see more of Mr. Portis this week. Look for CP to get somewhere around 110-120 yds. If CP breaks the century mark, the guys come back to Ashburn 4-1.

Also, from what I've been hearing from Cheeseheads, they struggle with TE. Look for Cooley and JC to get their groove back.

Skins - 30
Packers - 15
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I see it coming down like this.................

Clinton Portis is due for a break-out game and I think this is the game where he gets it. I see us controling the ball for over 33 minutes while punching in 4 Tds and a Fg and opn defense I see us sacking Favre 4 times and picking him off 3 times (1 Taylor, 1 Smoot, 1 Rogers) And the Redskins win this to improve to 4-1 by a score of 31-16

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

I think we will be in their backfield all day...they have very little in the way of a running game, so we can let our backers lend support to our front bruisers
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I don't know how much to lend to stats this early in the year, but they are what they are. Detroit and Green Bay are very similar in their rushing and passing rankings.

Rushing - both right around 25 attempts for around 100 YPG
DET-30
GB-31

Passing - both right around 40 attempts for around 270-300 YPG
DET-5
GB-1

While a similar gameplan "should" work, I think that the fact that GB has had a week to study what we did to Detroit, we will have to tweak the defensive gameplan a little. Maybe bring a few more blitzes, or disguise coverages to keep Favre guessing. Hopefully that works, and our offense is able to get it going again.

Unfortunately, I think home field advantage will play a big part in this game and be the difference.

Packers 24
Redskins 20
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunellMVP? View Post
We get revenge for losing the last time...wasn't that the phantom call on Portis in motion that reversed a would be touchdown? i remember being at the game- and something like that went down...

Skins win 24-13
I was at that game...that call sucked!!! Completely changed the outcome of that game.

I see us running the ball really well in this one, with CP breaking a long one for about 50+, some methodical passing, and the stellar D shows up again!

Redskins 20
Packers 10
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't know how much to lend to stats this early in the year, but they are what they are. Detroit and Green Bay are very similar in their rushing and passing rankings.

Rushing - both right around 25 attempts for around 100 YPG
DET-30
GB-31

Passing - both right around 40 attempts for around 270-300 YPG
DET-5
GB-1

While a similar gameplan "should" work, I think that the fact that GB has had a week to study what we did to Detroit, we will have to tweak the defensive gameplan a little. Maybe bring a few more blitzes, or disguise coverages to keep Favre guessing. Hopefully that works, and our offense is able to get it going again.

Unfortunately, I think home field advantage will play a big part in this game and be the difference.

Packers 24
Redskins 20
Didn't you predict a loss last week too?

Are you sure you're a Skins fan?

How many more wins until you learn your lesson?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Didn't you predict a loss last week too?

Are you sure you're a Skins fan?

How many more wins until you learn your lesson?
You're on to my strategy...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
BrudLee
Playmaker

Here's my fear in this game - we were careless with the ball against Detroit, and Green Bay is better on defense than the Lions. That should keep things closer than I'd like.

But hey, a win is a win.

Skins 24
GB 20
Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
irish
Playmaker

If this game was in DC I'd pick the Skins but its not. I think GB will be pissed about losing last week and so will their fans. I think all that noise will lead to problems for the Skin's O. It will be a close game but once again delay and confusion trying to call plays fast at the end of the game will cost the Skins the W.

GB 20
Skins 17
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
freddyg12
Playmaker

The D gameplan will have to be tweaked but maybe not too much. I think GB will try to run the way they did against the bears. Plus, we'll likely have to blitz Favre to get some pressure, just a matter of how much. I hope when we're in the cover 2 that our corners can gamble on those slants. Once Chicago took that away it was a different game.

I see us having trouble running the ball and for that reason the O gameplan might more closely resemble last week's than the D. I think AS was given more freedom by Gibbs. We passed on 1st down a lot, used the pass to set up the run.

Let's face it, right now we can't pound the ball on anybody in the 1st half. The right side of the line might need more time. Detroit shut our running game down until we had a good lead & their D was on the field all day. We've got to continue to throw on 1st & 2nd downs & be unpredictable.

This game might be very ugly, but we win after picking Favre at least twice.

Skins 16
Packers 10
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote