Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Not a Smash Mouth Team Anymore!!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

Not a Smash Mouth Team Anymore!!

Face it guys we are not a smash team anymore. Once Joe Gibbs figure this out we will be fine. We are a unique team with soooo much offensive firepower. I mean we have a strong-armed quarterback, fast running back, fast and quick receivers, and a sure-handed tightend. The offensive line is not as strong as years past. The line is turning into a more versatile and agile line with the additions of Kendall and DeMulling. They are better at getting to the perimeter than smash mouth. The identity of this offense has changed. We are now the identity of the Kansas City Chiefs offense but with better athletes even though they had a better o-line. Did I analyzed this correctly?
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Not a Smash Mouth Team Anymore!!

just let it go people

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor View Post
Face it guys we are not a smash team anymore. Once Joe Gibbs figure this out we will be fine. We are a unique team with soooo much offensive firepower. I mean we have a strong-armed quarterback, fast running back, fast and quick receivers, and a sure-handed tightend. The offensive line is not as strong as years past. The line is turning into a more versatile and agile line with the additions of Kendall and DeMulling. They are better at getting to the perimeter than smash mouth. The identity of this offense has changed. We are now the identity of the Kansas City Chiefs offense but with better athletes even though they had a better o-line. Did I analyzed this correctly?
Umm, we had a bad second half yesterday. We averaged close to 40 carries a game and 160+ rushing yards/game weeks 1 & 2. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are off base here.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

I agree.....we ARE
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

.....not a smashmouth team anymore...we are actually very small at our skill positions besides campbell.....maybe we could run him up the gut more often. I like running the ball.....BUT NOT UP THE GUT ON EVERY FIRST DOWN WITH A SMALL BACK AND A HURT O-LINE.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor View Post
I almost completely agree with this. The Dolphins big weakness last year was running up the middle against them and we had success doing just that in the first game. The last two games have made it clear that we can't run it down the middle smash mouth style against two out of three nfl defensive lines. Our line is very banged up so it's not like this is a major surprise. I'm not worried. It's not like all of our Super Bowl offenses were smash mouth. The 91 team was more run and gun for one. I think the coaches are still trying to figure out what we do best. Like you said it's clear that smash mouth just isn't going to happen.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
just let it go people
Really, please come down off the roof, it's not worth jumping over. Yes, it was a painful loss, but we could easily be 0-3 (like many other teams) and we should be thankfull going into the bye 2-1.

Mods: Can we not merge all of the apocolyptic threads into one?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
Mods: Can we not merge all of the apocolyptic threads into one?
What's apocalyptic about this thread?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

saying we are not smash mouth has nothing to do with freaking out or giving up on the team....it just means that we have different strengths this year since JC is at the helm and the O-line is dinged up and the replacements are different types of linemen
Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmermans View Post
.....not a smashmouth team anymore...we are actually very small at our skill positions besides campbell.....maybe we could run him up the gut more often. I like running the ball.....BUT NOT UP THE GUT ON EVERY FIRST DOWN WITH A SMALL BACK AND A HURT O-LINE.
I agree with Zimm's point...while it remains to be seen if we can't rebound from yesterday's game, it is concerning that we lost our best lineman in Thomas and Jansen to his right...these are two tested trench warriors- we simply won't be the same team as last year (run wise) until we give the new guys time to gel.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Sorry but we are a run first team.

Let's stop with this silly crap ok?

The world is not ending.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Sorry but we are a run first team.
Sure we are. Just not a two tight end run it up the middle on first and second down 1980's smash mouth Redskin running team.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
What's apocalyptic about this thread?
"Not a Smash Mouth Team Anymore!!" What doesn't sound negative with that? In addition to this thread, when added to the following threads (and misc. posts), you can't deny that everything is starting to take on an "end of the world" mentality:

"f...gibbs"
"Great Playcalling, Joe"

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Jeeze people, it's one freakin' game! Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we still have, oh, 13 more games to play?? Yes, we lost. Yes, the team / coaches made mistakes. But, let's hope they all learn from it and make the necessary corrections. Now, everyone please take the gun out of your mouth and get over it already.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
"Not a Smash Mouth Team Anymore!!" What doesn't sound negative with that? In addition to this thread, when added to the following threads (and misc. posts), you can't deny that everything is starting to take on an "end of the world" mentality:

"f...gibbs"
"Great Playcalling, Joe"

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Jeeze people, it's one freakin' game! Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we still have, oh, 13 more games to play?? Yes, we lost. Yes, the team / coaches made mistakes. But, let's hope they all learn from it and make the necessary corrections. Now, everyone please take the gun out of your mouth and get over it already.
I just don't see how you can group this thread with the f...gibbs thread. I guess it must be the exclamation marks? This thread points out a possible flaw in our running philosophy. Nothing more. I do get you on the intense negativity in many of the thread titles. I'm just saying this particular thread seems pretty tame to be grouped in with some of the rest.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I just don't see how you can group this thread with the f...gibbs thread. I guess it must be the exclamation marks? This thread points out a possible flaw in our running philosophy. Nothing more. I do get you on the intense negativity in many of the thread titles. I'm just saying this particular thread seems pretty tame to be grouped in with some of the rest.
Yeah I agree people are over reacting to this thread, but I don't entirely agree with the message behind it. I think we need to maintain our identity as a smash mouth team, but I think you all have been right in saying we need to utilize the other aspects of our team.

Matty was right in saying we are a run first team, but I think we need to put teams away by putting up more points, and you need to do that through the air. All the best teams today do that, and we need to make that transition.

But we also cannot do that by completely giving up our identity, we need to move forward from where we are to become the all around team, not throw everything away. Look at what happened with Spurrier.

Now Im not saying that you all meant to say we needed to throw everything away, but that is the impressions others are getting. Just a miscommunication.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote