Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Insider: Odds and ends

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Redskins Insider: Odds and ends

From everything I hear the biggest delay in getting the Skins second-day draft picks signed is the length of the deal. There are some new quirks in this CBA that pertains to these kind of deals, and teams can now decide whether to sign these kids to a three-year deal or a four-=year deal.
It ends up making a big deal as to how they get tendered on their next contracts, when they become free agents and how some escalators tie in. Obviously, teams want to get them locked up for 4 years, but some of these kids think that hitting potential free agency in three years -and getting their first real contracts should they pan out - sounds like dinner to them.

Spoke to a bunch of agents the past week who all said the same thing - for every kid the Redskins drafted not named Landry, terms will probably be the biggest hurdle. The Skins have made contact with the agents for all these guys and the sides know that in the end the base salaries are all going to be for the vet. Minimum, and there isn't going to be much in the way of a signing bonus for people taken in the fifth round and later.

Regardless, I would expect the late round kids to be signed by early July. I would think Landry gets done just before players report to camp July 27th. He will get slotted in when some other guys sign. His agent, Joel Segal, is a dealmaker and his guys aren't known for holding out.

Randoms: The Bill Cowher madness is a bit premature. No doubt he will be in demand and Snyder would make a run at him if Gibbs was leaving, but that stuff doesn't pick up until November at the earliest. Also, Coach Joe could very well depart after this season - a lot of people are guessing will - but just because he walks as a coach would not mean he's leaving as team prez. Cowher wants the whole enchilada in terms of control, and would Snyder force Gibbs out as the prez so that Cowher can take over the front office? And even if Gibbs and Cowher could coexist, I can't see Cowher wanting to keep all the dead weight in this front office, whereas Coach Joe's style is to add new parts but not undergo mass firings. I just don't see it matching up time wise, and Cowher will have his picks of jobs, with Jeff Fisher being right there with him at the top of wish lists.

In fact, whoever the next coach is would probably demand that Vinny and some others walk. If the Skins are 2-5 in November and looking like they did a year ago, then trust me I will be spending a good deal of my time working on the next coach/regime/big splash. But if the Skins have a decent start, then this will be a moot point. It's definitely fun to play guess the next coach - and again, I know Snyder would be after this guy if he had a need (Cowher's agent is based in McLean, so it would be really easy to happen to walk into the same restaurant as him by chance, wink,wink), but the timing would have to be perfect with Coach Joe stepping down, etc., and I think Dan would have to be willing to get rid of some sacred cows ... Actually managed to break my other pinky toe the other day bashing ti into a chair while running to get Rocco when eh woke up screaming from a nap. Yeah, it's the right one this time. That's two in the span of about 6 weeks. This must be how Jansen felt with the thumbs a few years back

... Gonna be using up the rest of my vacation and comp time the next few weeks so keep the guest blogs coming in. Will definitely post from time to time but won't be daily like this. I still anticipate a decent amount of news, so I'll get on the ball when need be. Thanks to all of you for reading my stuff.
Cheers.

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
dmek25
MVP

Re: Redskins Insider: Odds and ends

its going to be interesting when coach Gibbs does retire. because both Cowher and Fisher are 2 quality coaches
Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Seems like a forgone conclusion that Gibbs is gone after '07.

Why is everyone so sure of that?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

The only way I see him walking after this year is if 2007 is a repeat of 2006.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Mwoody85
Camp Scrub

If the defense does well this year, would Snyder really take the opportunity away from Williams just for the sake of getting a big name like The Chin?
Mwoody85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoody85 View Post
If the defense does well this year, would Snyder really take the opportunity away from Williams just for the sake of getting a big name like The Chin?
Of course he would.

I don't know why people think Williams is a lock to succeed Gibbs, or that Snyder owes him anything. If there is a more qualified person out there, Snyder will pay Williams his buyout money and move on without even thinking twice.

Cowher is more than just a big name, he's a proven winner in this league.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Mwoody85
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Of course he would.

I don't know why people think Williams is a lock to succeed Gibbs, or that Snyder owes him anything. If there is a more qualified person out there, Snyder will pay Williams his buyout money and move on without even thinking twice.

Cowher is more than just a big name, he's a proven winner in this league.
If the defense is anything but great, no, Snyder owes him nothing. Yes, Cowher is a proven winner, but this team has been pulling in outside big names for a while with little success. Maybe some loyalty, continuity and a familiar system would do some good. Again- assuming Williams does a good job.
Mwoody85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

I think it really depends on alot of different factors. If Gibbs sticks around as team president, then I think we could see someone hired from within. If Gibbs walks completely, I could see Snyder wanting to blow it all up and start over.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
dmek25
MVP

i am going on record, saying i do not want Greg Williams as the next coach of the redskins
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I think it really depends on alot of different factors. If Gibbs sticks around as team president, then I think we could see someone hired from within. If Gibbs walks completely, I could see Snyder wanting to blow it all up and start over.
It could be Grimm too, or how about Doug Williams? I just hope we take our time with the selection (Look at me, saying "we" as if we're involved in the hiring process.)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
70Chip
Playmaker

If Cowher does ever coach here, he will not get total control. The only way to do that would be to buy the team and I don't think it's for sale. And, what if Gibbs does want to stay on as President? No one will run him off. Not Cowher or anybody else.

Also, I think we could end up with worse options than Greg Williams, just for the record.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
The only way I see him walking after this year is if 2007 is a repeat of 2006.
Or if we won the Super Bowl.... I think Coach will be here for two more seasons. I think he'll finish all five years on his contract and then leave regardless.

I wouldnt mind seeing him stick around as the team's president if Cowher came on board. Cowher would be a much different coach than we've had here in a while.

In addition, if the skins' dont play great next year, but the defnese returns to form, are we going to dismiss the fact that Gregg Williams is owed $1 Million dollars if HE IS NOT the Skins next head coach? I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss him at this point either....or Saunders. I dont nessicarily think that our next head coach isnt in the orginization already.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Here's the way it's going to be: Saunders is already head coach of the offense. Williams is already the head coach of the defense. Gibbs is the team president. During the games, offensive decisions (FG kicking, punting, accept/decline penalties, etc) will be made by Saunders and all of the defensive decisions will be made by Williams...hmm... I guess Danny Smith will make the special teams decisions. Snyder, Gibbs (& Cerrato?) will make all the talent acquisitions through draft and free agency based on team needs and the two head coaches input. A new era in football is about to begin!

PS: this is just good ole "I hate the off-season" rhetoric.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i am going on record, saying i do not want Greg Williams as the next coach of the redskins

I second that no way in hell I want this guy to be the head coach. Even if our defense was ranked number 1 and set records in 2007.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #15
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I second that no way in hell I want this guy to be the head coach. Even if our defense was ranked number 1 and set records in 2007.
Why? I know he had a so-so stint in Buffalo, but Belicheck sucked in Cleveland and bounced back. Maybe GW would do the same. Just curious about why you guys are so against him.
dblanch66 is offline   Reply With Quote