Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

JC et al still under the radar...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
freddyg12
Playmaker

JC et al still under the radar...

The link below caught my attention & I had to read it - 9 breakout stars for 2007.
Of course I was looking for skins, namely JC, maybe Rocky. In a way I'm glad this list is as such.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Schein's nine breakout stars for 2007

Also, a typical John Clayton article - all based on stats - but he has a point IMO. Notice his mention of the Skins. I think he's right about us & the company he puts us in.

ESPN - Clayton: Offense more important than ever - NFL
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: JC et al still under the radar...

I hate that when it happens.. But at same time I'm glad cuz I love it when we surprise people..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
djnemo65
Playmaker

I don't see anyway we don't improve significantly on our defense last year (we really have nowhere to go but up, unless we end up DEAD last), and with our qb working hard and learning the system, I'm looking forward to surprising some people.

Seriously, the closer we get to preseason, the more confident I am feeling. Something about this team just feels right this year.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I don't see anyway we don't improve significantly on our defense last year (we really have nowhere to go but up, unless we end up DEAD last), and with our qb working hard and learning the system, I'm looking forward to surprising some people.

Seriously, the closer we get to preseason, the more confident I am feeling. Something about this team just feels right this year.
Yup I'm feeling same thing but still no high hopes
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
GusFrerotte

Quote:

You know how many times every year folks have said that in recent memory just to be very disappointed by mid season since the beginning of the Turner era to the present? It is nice to get excited every season I guess, but I for one have counted my chickens before they have hatched many times since the Frerotte years, only to be bummed out even before the midway point of the season. With exception to the addition of Fletcher and Landry, this essentially is the same team as last year. In the preseason publications that I have seen, most of them have us placing 3rd in the division and have us most likely finishing from 7-9 to 9-7. It is one thing to buy into these preseason publications, but they have been pretty accurate about the Skins in recent memory. We as Skins fans alway look at it through rose colored glasses, so any objectivity is lost. I know I am sounding like a real downer, but I think folks should not get their hopes up too high before we see the final product put on the field. If e verything goes according to plan, we should have a nice run, if even half the questions conerning this team are answered in the negative, then we are in for another frustrating year.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
You know how many times every year folks have said that in recent memory just to be very disappointed by mid season since the beginning of the Turner era to the present? It is nice to get excited every season I guess, but I for one have counted my chickens before they have hatched many times since the Frerotte years, only to be bummed out even before the midway point of the season. With exception to the addition of Fletcher and Landry, this essentially is the same team as last year. In the preseason publications that I have seen, most of them have us placing 3rd in the division and have us most likely finishing from 7-9 to 9-7. It is one thing to buy into these preseason publications, but they have been pretty accurate about the Skins in recent memory. We as Skins fans alway look at it through rose colored glasses, so any objectivity is lost. I know I am sounding like a real downer, but I think folks should not get their hopes up too high before we see the final product put on the field. If e verything goes according to plan, we should have a nice run, if even half the questions conerning this team are answered in the negative, then we are in for another frustrating year.
Don't forget about Smoot, Macklin & Butler competing for pt at cb, plus Stoutmire & a healthy Prioleau. Golston & Montgomery will be a year better as will Rocky, who knows how good they'll really be, but we could have at least 3 new starters on D - Fletcher, Landry, & Rocky, plus Golston & Montgomery might crack the lineup.

On O, we only lost Dock, but we re-signed a lot of guys. I appreciate your point about the offseason optimisim, but one thing I really like about this offseason is that we re-signed vet guys & didn't have to cut anybody significant to bring in the guys we did,i.e. this is the most continuity we've seen in a long while. Plus, 2nd year under Al Saunders' O & we know who the starters are w/the exception of LG.

How were we picked to finish in 05? I don't remember anyone having us in the playoffs. This offseason reminds me a bit of 05.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
mike340
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Don't forget about Smoot, Macklin & Butler competing for pt at cb, plus Stoutmire & a healthy Prioleau. Golston & Montgomery will be a year better as will Rocky, who knows how good they'll really be, but we could have at least 3 new starters on D - Fletcher, Landry, & Rocky, plus Golston & Montgomery might crack the lineup.
...and a healthy Springs!
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Okay, first I am acutely aware of the disappointments surrounding this team in the past. This is not my first year as a Skins fan. However, it is my measured cautious opinion that we will be formidable this year - and I'm telling anyone who will listen. I don't understand fans who go into the season with a bad attitude. If you are a Pittsburgh Pirates fan that's one thing, but this is the NFL, and one or two teams come out of nowhere every year. Isn't it more fun to have some faith in the guys you dedicate so much time to following?

We as Skins fans look at it through Rose colored glasses, like fans of every other NFL team. Is this a problem? That's part of the fun. I respect that more than pussy footing around making a prediction, and then either hopping on the bandwagon if we are good, or saying I told you so if we aren't. I think you need to man up and take a position GF. You are getting kind of wobbly in this post. "If everything goes according to plan, we should have a nice run...." Way to take a stand my man. Yeah, I think so.

You say preseason pubs have been pretty accurate about us in the recent past....um, were you living on Mars for the 2005 season? Sports Illustrated picked us to go 4-12 I think. And last year most had us in the playoffs. Go figure.

Anyway, sorry for the pissy tone but I just get ticked when people patronize me for being optimistic about the team, like I don't follow them closely when they have been maybe the singly most important constant in my life since I was about 6 years old.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Okay, first I am acutely aware of the disappointments surrounding this team in the past. This is not my first year as a Skins fan. However, it is my measured cautious opinion that we will be formidable this year - and I'm telling anyone who will listen. I don't understand fans who go into the season with a bad attitude. If you are a Pittsburgh Pirates fan that's one thing, but this is the NFL, and one or two teams come out of nowhere every year. Isn't it more fun to have some faith in the guys you dedicate so much time to following?

We as Skins fans look at it through Rose colored glasses, like fans of every other NFL team. Is this a problem? That's part of the fun. I respect that more than pussy footing around making a prediction, and then either hopping on the bandwagon if we are good, or saying I told you so if we aren't. I think you need to man up and take a position GF. You are getting kind of wobbly in this post. "If everything goes according to plan, we should have a nice run...." Way to take a stand my man. Yeah, I think so.

You say preseason pubs have been pretty accurate about us in the recent past....um, were you living on Mars for the 2005 season? Sports Illustrated picked us to go 4-12 I think. And last year most had us in the playoffs. Go figure.

Anyway, sorry for the pissy tone but I just get ticked when people patronize me for being optimistic about the team, like I don't follow them closely when they have been maybe the singly most important constant in my life since I was about 6 years old.
Nice, well said. I'm starting to feel really good about the Skins this season, and it's hard to separate that from the season itself & being ready for football.

The frustration w/our team is understandable, but as objective as I can be, I see the Skins being competitive. Further, I see the difference in those close games being JC, I really believe he will begin to shine.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

What has JC done to be in the radar let alone in close proximity? You either have it or you don't. We'll find out this season if JC has IT.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What has JC done to be in the radar let alone in close proximity? You either have it or you don't. We'll find out this season if JC has IT.
He played well last year i thought, he certainly looked poised for a qb playing his first nfl games. the point of the article is about emerging players that a of now aren't starts or big names. I think he's done more than Chad Greenway to make the list!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
this is a great way to put it. i like the fact that Campbell has ben a winner at every level. seems like some players just know how to win
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Mwoody85
Camp Scrub

Quote:
We don't know if he has "it," but one thing we can say is that he didn't blow/lose any games for us last year as many young guys in his position would have.
Mwoody85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #14
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Big Suprises FOR ALL....to come!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

I mean we are all skins fans so we know JC's game very intimately and thats why we have high hopes. However, if you are a neutral person who doesn't pay that much attention to the skins u have to go on the stats and his stats weren't all that impressive so I'm not surprised that he isn't making any of these lists. But who cares, he'll show em up