Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Is Cooley Still Considered an H-Back?

SI.com - Writers - Inn-O-vation (cont.) - Tuesday May 29, 2007 1:17PM
So I was reading a SI.com article and I came across this quote:

Quote:
Washington's Chris Cooley is the perfect example of the modern H-back. He has the speed and athleticism to be a major threat in the passing game, but is also powerful enough to be an effective lead blocker on running plays. He allows the to present several different looks out of their base personnel group.
I thought that under Saunders' system Cooley was used more like your typical tight end. I can't remember ever seeing him used as a fullback/lead blocker for running plays, which this guy seems to suggest he does.
Cooley seems like he should be considered a pure TE now because he is more likely to either line up next to the OT, go in motion, or line up in the slot.

So is this guy just behind the times or is Cooley still considered an H-back? (I know it doesn't really matter what he's considered as long as he's making plays, but there isn't much to talk about so I'm grasping at straws here)

Advertisements
Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Is Cooley Still Considered an H-Back?

He officially became a TE last year when Saunders came in. Saunders' offense doesn't use the H-Back position.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

That's what I thought, so this guy is just uninformed.

Well, I guess we can close this thread down now.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

SHUT IT DOWN

See you in 3 months
Old 05-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

blast! I might as well quit my job because there is no way I could make it through a single day, much less 3 months, without wasting at least 3/4 of the work day on this site.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Yeah, I too read that Saunders doesn't use an H-back. But what really differentiates a TE from a H-Back? I could swear I saw Chris Cooley lined up in the backfield on a few occasions last season and then either lead-block for an RB or go run a route. Maybe he is used as a H-back on a few plays, but is primarily lined up off-tackle as a TE?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I thought the same thing. I know I've seen him line up in the backfield only to shift out of it later. Weird.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

From the all knowing wikipedia

An H-Back, also known as F-Back, is an offensive position in American football. The position is a hybrid of a fullback and a tight end. The position was made notable in the NFL by the Washington Redskins under head coach Joe Gibbs who ran a two tight end system. The position was named F-Back when used later in Norv Turner's offensive system.

In the Redskins offensive system, the H-back is asked to block, pass protect, and run receiving routes from multiple sets. This compares to the standard tight end which was used primarily as an extra blocker on Washington offensive line. The H-back can line up in the backfield, on the line, or is put into motion. Due to the complexity of the position, a thorough knowledge of the offense is desirable in an H-back. The position, indeed the entire two tight end offense, was created by Gibbs as a direct response to Lawrence Taylor, the New York Giants dominant linebacker.[1][2] As Gibbs stated, "[w]e had to try in some way have a special game plan just for Lawrence Taylor. Now you didn't do that very often in this league but I think he's one person that we learned the lesson the hard way. We lost ball games."[1]
Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

I would think that the main difference between what Cooley is doing now vs. what he did in Gibbs' offense is his level of responsibilities. I'd guess that under Gibbs he needed to understand a lot more about the entire offense in general, where under Saunders his role is probably more focused and simplified.

He seems to line up in different spots a lot but I think that has more to do with creating match-ups and motion is a way to detect what the defense is doing at times too.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
mmil12
Special Teams

I am so tired of Chris Cooley not getting the respect that he deserves. Every year you look up and his top 5 (TE) in yards, receptions, and TD's. Two years ago he should have gone to the pro bowl and didn't because he was listed as a fullback. We all know that Cooley is a Tight End not a fullback or H-back. Sellers is the H-Back. Forget about what this clown says.

Bottom line Cooley needs more respect then he deserves. His whole career with the Redskins he has been there most consistent receiver and definitely the number two option for the QB. Anyone disagree?
mmil12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Sellers is actually the FB
Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
PoundIt
Camp Scrub

I was looking at this last year when he was changed to officially a TE and it entered my mind with the Reggie Bush thing where he wanted to wear a non-RB number. Cooley being a TE now cannot wear 47 according to NFL rules. I dont care, have his jersey, but I was surprised not to see the change of numbers given the opportunity to sell more jerseys.
PoundIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
mmil12
Special Teams

Last year sellers played H-Back. He participated in the passing game as well as lead blocking. The true essence of an H-Back.
mmil12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmil12 View Post
Last year sellers played H-Back. He participated in the passing game as well as lead blocking. The true essence of an H-Back.
A FB can also be involved with the passing game.

Saunders' offense doesn't use a true H-Back.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Playing Saunders's Name Game

On the surface, the change is merely new terminology, made for the sake of simplicity. The Washington Redskins, under new associate head coach Al Saunders, no longer employ H-backs, but, the staff says, those previously deemed an H-back will now carry virtually the same responsibilities as either a tight end or fullback.

For the two most prominent former H-backs on the roster, however, Chris Cooley (now a tight end) and Mike Sellers (now a fullback), the move will result in several new wrinkles. The Redskins beefed up at wide receiver in the offseason and already had a star running back, but Saunders is just as intrigued by the possibilities presented by Cooley and Sellers, whose skills can create confounding matchup problems for opposing defenses.