Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #46
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Why are YOU a Redskins fan?

Love all these stories. Excellent thread. I moved to the NVA (Loudoun) back in 74. Pretty much been a fan since again because they were the local team. But I had watched all the Skins SB's. I went to school at Broad Run which also resided in Ashburn, played in the marching band and played in one of their parades in DC when the school got invited to play. Lots of good memories associated with the Skins but lately it's killing me. I keep holding out hope they will get it right and I can be proud again to say I'm a Skin fan and be able to rub it in the other NFCE fan friends around me vs. simply rubbing in that my lowly Skin beat them.

Plus we need more trophies to catch up with Dallas, Green Bay, Pittsburg, and NE.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #47
freddyg12
Playmaker

Also forgot to mention that I'm a Virginian & the Skins are the local team.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Love all these stories. Excellent thread. I moved to the NVA (Loudoun) back in 74. Pretty much been a fan since again because they were the local team. But I had watched all the Skins SB's. I went to school at Broad Run which also resided in Ashburn, played in the marching band and played in one of their parades in DC when the school got invited to play. Lots of good memories associated with the Skins but lately it's killing me. I keep holding out hope they will get it right and I can be proud again to say I'm a Skin fan and be able to rub it in the other NFCE fan friends around me vs. simply rubbing in that my lowly Skin beat them.

Plus we need more trophies to catch up with Dallas, Green Bay, Pittsburg, and NE

This! I hate how this team is now an afterthought, most fans now a days just think of the Redskins like they would think of the Browns.. We really need to start competing again it's killing all of us.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #49
SOUL-SKINS
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Super Bowl XVII, specifically this moment made me a fan

Well Matty.... Read my earlier post... It looks like we've been fans for the exact amount of time... Haha. That's great
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #50
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

My dad and mom moved from Jamaica to the DC area to go to college. My dad picked up football when the 'Skins were in their hay day. He started me watching games with him when I was a baby and I was hooked ever since. When I moved back to DC to go to college, I started watching faithfully, and haven't looked back since. (There was also a point in time where I was watching a Dal-Was game with my dad and cheered when the Girls scored. I got slapped and never cheered for 'em again)
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #51
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican'Skin View Post
My dad and mom moved from Jamaica to the DC area to go to college. My dad picked up football when the 'Skins were in their hay day. He started me watching games with him when I was a baby and I was hooked ever since. When I moved back to DC to go to college, I started watching faithfully, and haven't looked back since. (There was also a point in time where I was watching a Dal-Was game with my dad and cheered when the Girls scored. I got slapped and never cheered for 'em again)

Good for your dad you deserved it!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #52
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican'Skin View Post
Great story - The American Dream, right down to a smack!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #53
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'll be honest and say as I'm getting older the losing is taking an even bigger toll simply because I had never seen a true winner in DC like most of you folks. I'm sticking strong though but it's not easy
Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #54
musicmaster45
Special Teams

My Dad has been a skins fan since high school when he lived in fairfax county as he moved and stuff his love for the B&G remained and he passed it down to me when i started watching football in eighth grade.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #55
GridIron26
Playmaker

It's family thing - when I started to like football, I remembered that my family's loyalty lies with Redskins, so I just followed.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #56
Pigskins

Born and raised with burgundy blood and pissing gold
Pigskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #57
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Here's a Q how many of your family members are Dallass fans? Seems like my whole damn family is SMH
Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #58
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'll be honest and say as I'm getting older the losing is taking an even bigger toll simply because I had never seen a true winner in DC like most of you folks. I'm sticking strong though but it's not easy
I must say I admire the loyalty. My brother is in the same boat, he was only 4 when we last won the SB, but he's followed them loyally his whole life, largely due to my influence on him when he was just learning football. Not many winning seasons for him to experience though.

My only advice is what you've already heard; some day it's going to change. I remember first hearing the term "DeadSkins" about 1980 when Jack Pardee was coaching. Everyone was down on them, then Gibbs came in & well...cue the cliche
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #59
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Here's a Q how many of your family members are Dallass fans? Seems like my whole damn family is SMH
wife & in-laws. At least they like to watch football & drink. Plus I can always root against their team on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
wife & in-laws. At least they like to watch football & drink. Plus I can always root against their team on Thanksgiving.

yeah actually I enjoy it simply for the rivalry aspect, it's always fun watching the games with them, even like last week it was painful but I'm used to that by now