The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: The Legitimacy of Super Bowls 17 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I don't recall any strike years before 1982 or after 1987. The Giants won it all in 1986 and in 1990. If Norwood makes that FG in Super Bowl 25 then the Giants have 3 SB trophies instead of 4.

As far as winning Super Bowls in the strike years are concerned, there were 28 teams in the NFL during that era. Every team is a potential candidate to win the Super Bowl until they are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention whether that elimination takes place in the regular season or the post season. It just so happened that the Redskins were the last team standing after those seasons were over. That has nothing to do with the amount of games played. It has more to do with qualification. And the Redskins were qualified to win those Super Bowls those seasons.
I disagree, those Giants teams had to beat the 49ers to get to the SB, they almost killed Joe Montana in 1986 and won in SF in 1990 when Lawrence Taylor caused and recovered the Roger Craig fumble. Bill Parcell's had Bill Walsh's number. To be honest with you, I despised the 49ers (still do) so much that I was happy for the G-men. Whether you like them or not you have to give them credit.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Redskins 1987 replacement star Tony Robinson just happy to be out of jail - The Washington Post

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I disagree, those Giants teams had to beat the 49ers to get to the SB, they almost killed Joe Montana in 1986 and won in SF in 1990 when Lawrence Taylor caused and recovered the Roger Craig fumble. Bill Parcell's had Bill Walsh's number. To be honest with you, I despised the 49ers (still do) so much that I was happy for the G-men. Whether you like them or not you have to give them credit.
I don't know which part of my post you were quoting. I didn't say that the 1990 NY Giants were a bad team. They were very decent. They won SB 25 by only a point. Norwood makes that last second FG and Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas have their SB ring.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #19
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't know which part of my post you were quoting. I didn't say that the 1990 NY Giants were a bad team. They were very decent. They won SB 25 by only a point. Norwood makes that last second FG and Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas have their SB ring.
1986 team. They kicked the 49ers ass and Redskins 17-0, granted it was Jay Schroeder at the helm for the Redskins. Even if it was wide right in 1990, they won the SB and earned the right to be there by beating some tough opponents.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
1986 team. They kicked the 49ers ass and Redskins 17-0, granted it was Jay Schroeder at the helm for the Redskins. Even if it was wide right in 1990, they won the SB and earned the right to be there by beating some tough opponents.
There was no stopping that 1986 Giants team. They were 14-2 that year. They had an excellent quarterback, a very good running back and most of all, a dominant 3-4 defense with Bill Bellichick as the coordinator. They were similar to the 1985 Chicago Bears.

Every team that lost the NFC championship game from 1983-1986 made it to the SB the following year. 49ers, Bears, Giants, Redskins.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Being from Washington D.C. and living in NYC, a lot of NY Giants fans like to claim that the Redskins victories over the Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos in Super Bowls 17 and 22 are not legit simply because they happened only because NFL players strikes shortened those seasons. What they don't realize is that that 1982 team was good enough to not only amass the most points in a season in NFL history the next season and return to the Super Bowl, had it won it would have been considered the greatest team off all time.

As far as the 1987 team, they had made it to the NFC championship game and lost against the NYG the previous year. To be good enough to go that far and then go back the next season not only reveals how good a team the 1987 team was, but like the 1982 team, proves it's legitimacy.

The Giants fans are drunk with their chest poked out only because they've won 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years. Their arrogance blinds them to reality, I often tell them. But their day is coming when under Coach Coughlin they will endure a miserable losing season.

I seek the true insight of Redskins Nation on this topic. Thoughts?
LOL....ok,

1) Giant fans don't really care about super bowl ,17 and 22.

2) Eli, maybe he isn't elite ,eli has 2 rings,eli has 2 MVP trophies....and Eli will be in the HOF,like it or not.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL....ok,

2) Eli, maybe he isn't elite ,eli has 2 rings,eli has 2 MVP trophies....and Eli will be in the HOF,like it or not.
Firstly, I wouldn't have mentioned this topic unless it were true. Giants fans in NYC are quick to say that there are asterisks marked by the Redskins two Super Bowl wins in the 1980s. They are certainly quick to point that out. I've been living in New York City for seven years and when the topic is discussed about great Super Bowl teams, NY Midgets fans are fast to bring that up and they are the only fans to make mention of it. A strike season doesn't matter. When a team wins the Super Bowl and the NFL commissioner hands the organization the trophy, that alone makes it legit. It's similar to a President being sworn into office.

Eli Manning's career isn't over yet. Two Super Bowl MVPs doesn't guarantee that he'll enter the HOF. He has a long ways to go.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

IMO they should have gotten SB rings.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
Skinzman
The Starter

I dont know why they wouldnt be considered legit. The Redskins used all scabs, most teams had a fair amount of their players crossing the picket lines. The Skins had none cross it. If anything, it shows that Joe Gibbs out coached the NFL by a very wide margin since most teams still had NFL talent on the roster during those scab games. He went 3-0 with players off the street (or out of Jail in Robinsons case).
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I don't question any team's NFL championship(s). The NFL landscape may change from season to season but the mission remains the same. Everybody knows that.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Well if it was that easy why didn't the Giants when the SB those years.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Ravens D to Kerry Collins.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well if it was that easy why didn't the Giants when the SB those years.
Basically that is the best defense to anyone who lessens those SB's. After you say that the point is moot.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
LOL....ok,

Yet some care enough to post on a Redskin's fan board.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL....ok,

He's a top 5 QB in the NFL today no doubt