RobH4413's Monday Morning Breakdown

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: RobH4413's Monday Morning Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Well I agree we probably should have taken more shots, but that's in hindsight after a loss. Had Campbell forced some of those throws, and thrown a pick, we may have lost by more. In fact, If I was placed in the same situation next week, I'd probably use a similar game plans. I'm not just going to throw the ball deep for the sake of throwing it deep.

At any rate, Campbell seemed to read the deep ball first a lot as he dropped back, which is a sign that the deep ball was probably not there. He was looking for it, and took his shots.

100 times out of 100, with the lead... I'm not going to force a deep ball into double coverage. I'm going to take what the defense gives me.

To make the monumental jump that play calling lost the game, when we made so many lapses in execution to me seems illogical. The Giants "AWFULLLLLLL" defense put a great deal of pressure on pretty weak offensive line. That's called attacking a weakness with a strengths. It usually works when you do that.
I simply disagree. DURING the game it was obvious we were doing this.

For everyone who is jumping on the "it was just execution" bandwagon I ask this. Did you in the second half not ever think "Why are being so conservative?" See if you did, which I suspect many did, then I can guarantee you that the Giants did. And if they did then they knew how to attack that and did. If we actually open it up, or attempt to then they can't sit back and bull rush our o-line as much. They can't leave their secondary in man press. I simply know what I saw and I saw a team fold it up and I am scared that our players folded it up execution wise because our coaches showed that they did not trust them to win the game with the ball in their hands. Our coaches tried to outlast them rather than out play them with a superior group of players.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
A child? Screw off. I have been atacked several times now and it is getting old. We disgaree but I am not blasting anyone around here and wont.
You're not the only one spouting off, if that makes you feel any better, just check out some of the other threads. The offense sucked in the second half until the very end and even then it was touch and go. I just don't see where you get conservative play calling? What do you want? Four wide, Detroit Lions Mike Martz-style passing attack? That isn't the Redskins game. They are going to pound it and take their shots down the field. They were unable to get any running game established in the second half and that hurt them badly. Everything the Skins do on offense works off the running game, everything. They need to establish that in order to make things go and the Giants/poor execution shut that down. I do not see where you are getting "conservative play calling". Did you not see the shot to Santana down the field? They completed one and Jason just down right missed the other one, which would have been a touchdown if he had put a little more air under it. The Redskins pound the ball, they are a run first team, that is what they do that is who they are. They have taken kill shots to Santana at least four times in the past two games, hit two, missed two on bad throws. Last week they took that deep shot to Santana that would have ended the game and Jason overthrew it and then people (ok stupid Kornheiser) were saying, "why not just run the ball." They have gotten the ball down the field to Randle El. Cooley has not been as involved because he has been forced to stay in and block more due to injuries. If you want guys who throw it all over the field and QBs who throw 46 times a game go watch the Lions play (they'll be in town in two weeks) or go play Madden '08. I think the reason you are being attacked is because you are not offering any analysis whatsoever. You did not respond in kind to Rob's breakdown, you just said "conservative play calling, conservative play calling," I don't see it sorry. I see the Redskins playing their game and an offense that did not execute at all in the second half. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #18
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

For everyone who is jumping on the "it was just execution" bandwagon I ask this. Did you in the second half not ever think "Why are being so conservative?" See if you did, which I suspect many did, then I can guarantee you that the Giants did. And if they did then they knew how to attack that and did. If we actually open it up, or attempt to then they can't sit back and bull rush our o-line as much. They can't leave their secondary in man press. I simply know what I saw and I saw a team fold it up and I am scared that our players folded it up execution wise because our coaches showed that they did not trust them to win the game with the ball in their hands. Our coaches tried to outlast them rather than out play them with a superior group of players.
I think while the stats don't lie, execution and playcalling go hand in hand. Also, it seemed like the Giants had us figured out in the second half. They stacked the left side of the line and caught us behind the line of scrimage a couple of times for loses.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

Losing really does breed stupidity. After a loss I think we need to shut the board down for 24 hours to let everyone cool off. Everyone is way too reactionary today.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:

No, I didn't see conservative play calling in case you missed that in my last post. I did not think to myself wow that is some conservative play calling. I saw a team unable to establish a running game, and who had exactly 11 plays prior to the last two drives. When they threw those passes to Santana on the second drive it looked like he and Jason were not at all on the same page, someone screwed up. When they took the shot to Santana deep, Jason simply missed it. The Giants, from what I could tell from watching the TV feed and not the coaches tape, were playing a lot of two deep shell, not man press as you indicate. That coverage does not lend it self to chucking the ball 40 yards down the field. It is actually best attacked by a TE up the seam, but Cooley was busy "trying" (emphasis on trying) to slow down Strahan. You think I'm wrong, I think you're wrong. I guess we agree to disagree here.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
No, I didn't see conservative play calling in case you missed that in my last post. I did not think to myself wow that is some conservative play calling. I saw a team unable to establish a running game, and who had exactly 11 plays prior to the last two drives. When they threw those passes to Santana on the second drive it looked like he and Jason were not at all on the same page, someone screwed up. When they took the shot to Santana deep, Jason simply missed it. The Giants, from what I could tell from watching the TV feed and not the coaches tape, were playing a lot of two deep shell, not man press as you indicate. That coverage does not lend it self to chucking the ball 40 yards down the field. It is actually best attacked by a TE up the seam, but Cooley was busy "trying" (emphasis on trying) to slow down Strahan. You think I'm wrong, I think you should go back and breakdown some coaches tape or learn some more about the game of football before you go killing the coaches.
Actually I should be clearer. They played an abundace on cover 1 on first down and on second and longs. They did drop to a cover two on 3rd and longs. I really am not in favor of us dropping back and throwing 10 bombs a game but I am more concerned that we didn't seem to try any intermediate stuff down field. When I say downfiled I mean anything beyond a long handoff.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Regardless of the game plan, it's the players' job to show up in the second half. They simply didn't.

If we we're as superior as your saying, than we don't fumble. Strahan doesn't knock Cooley on his ass, or bull rush Wade for a sack. Campbell hits Moss on that deep throw, extending the drive.

I don't see how being more liberal in a game plan makes any of these not happen. It could have made it better, it could have made it worse. Who knows. Yeah, if Gibbs and co. called a flawless game we might have won.

I don't see this as being worthy of huge rants about how terrible our play calling was when the players are blowing so many opportunities.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Actually I should be clearer. They played an abundace on cover 1 on first down and on second and longs. They did drop to a cover two on 3rd and longs. I really am not in favor of us dropping back and throwing 10 bombs a game but I am more concerned that we didn't seem to try any intermediate stuff down field. When I say downfiled I mean anything beyond a long handoff.
Fair enough. I think it is probably worth pointing out at some point, however, that the defense could not get off the field to save their life so the Redskins only had three drives to try to do anything whatsoever in the second half. It was a situation that does not really lend itself to great creativity on offense. The WHOLE TEAM failed, basically, but I think Joe said it best in the post game when he said that all the games they play are going to be close this year and they need to find ways to win. If the defense reverts to 2006 form and gives up 70% on third down they are going to lose a whole lot more going forward. The Skins had three drives in the second half until the end, so not much opportunity to do anything and they squandered whatever opportunities they had.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Losing really does breed stupidity. After a loss I think we need to shut the board down for 24 hours to let everyone cool off. Everyone is way too reactionary today.
LMAO! Man that was a tough one to take and we are pissed as hell. I'm still mad about it. We love our Redskins. But the bottom line is the Giants have a better QB, TE, WR and o-line yesterday. Plaxico just beat our secondary down in the 2nd half. When he feels like playing there are not too many guys better than him. Add that in with some suspect playcalling and we lost.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

The Giants had our number. Simple as that. No matter what we tried, they had it covered. Many of the short to intermediate passes you did see were probably designed to go deeper, but nothing was open because the Giants secondary magically decided to play like All-Pros yesterday -- the way they always seem to when Washington is on their schedule.

Something about playing the Redskins seems to bring out the best in the New York Giants. They always rise to the occasion against us. And no matter what plays were called by Al Saunders, the Giants defense was ready for it, and we had no answers for them.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote