Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Lito Sheppard is still out there

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Re: Lito Sheppard is still out there

We've come to far to give up any draft picks now. We're so close to the draft and we have all of our picks in tow.

Feets don't fail us now!

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
ArcticRed
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyredskin View Post
By the way...when we drafted Carlos Rogers 9th overall in 2005, Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman were then drafted 11th and 12th respectively. SHAWNE MERRIMAN!!! What were we thinking? You never draft for need...you take the best talent available. Carlos was not the best talent and has proven that fact. Sorry if I'm upsetting any Carlos fans, but facts are facts. Add up the pro bowls Merriman and Ware have been to and compare it to the ZERO Carlos has. I love ROcky, but if we drafted Ware or Merriman, we would have had Washington, Arrington and Merriman/Ware...that is a formidable tandem.
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Rogers is who we have. I agree that Rogers has not played up to where he was chosen, but it does nothing to look back at what we coulda done. I also agree with you to pick the best player available, but only of up to say 3 or 4 positions of need. Grade the player, grade the need, add it up and draft accordingly.

I also find myself doin the shoulda, coulda, wouldas. It only brings heartache, headachs, and hand fulls of hair. My biggest one is if only we coulda kept Stephen Davis long enough to play with Gibbs 2.0. Imho, hes the type of RB Gibbs has needed all along. But I digress.

I say bring Lito Sheppard in. Bring him in for a 4th or lower if hes not going to be released this year. I dont know where Philly stand if they can keep him on the roster or release him.

If what "Defensewins" says is true, we need that type of baller who can change the direction of a game. We lost our last one and need to find a replacement.
ArcticRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRed View Post
....I say bring Lito Sheppard in. Bring him in for a 4th or lower if hes not going to be released this year. I dont know where Philly stand if they can keep him on the roster or release him.

If what "Defensewins" says is true, we need that type of baller who can change the direction of a game. We lost our last one and need to find a replacement.
Maybe even for a 3rd rounder. Lito is better than any CB we get in the 3rd round of this draft.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Maybe even for a 3rd rounder. Lito is better than any CB we get in the 3rd round of this draft.
That is true, he is very underrated, and he usually has to be up against the opponents best WR, and he still gets good numbers.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Take a look at Zach Bowman (CB Nebraska). If the Redskins don't take a corner with their first four picks then chances are they'll role the dice on this guy in the 5th or 6th round. Apparently at one point he was considered a 1st round talent back in 2005 but he's suffered through injuries since then. He's already visited with the team and he has late round Redskin pick written all over him.

Zack Bowman Scouting Report - 2008 NFL Draft Prospect
NFL Events: Draft Player Profiles - Zackary Bowman

Zackary*Bowman, CB, Nebraska - 2008 NFL Draft Scout Profile, Powered by The SportsXchange
02/27/08 - Zack Bowman might have made himself a decent chunk of change on Tuesday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. The former Husker cornerback posted a 40-yard dash time clocked by some scouts at 4.38 seconds, one of the faster times at the combine. He also bench-pressed the standard 225 pounds 18 times, which is a formidable showing by a defensive back. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Bowman was thought by many scouts to be a first-round talent after the 2005 Alamo Bowl, where he had five pass breakups and one interception against Michigan. But two serious knee injuries dampened his college career and his draft stock wavered. Despite that, he got an invite to the combine, where many scouts were anxious to see exactly how fast he could run after the injuries. While preparing for the combine, Bowman recently wrote a diary for nflplayers.com. About his injuries, Bowman wrote: “It actually made me value football a lot more. It wasn’t just a game to me. It was something that I loved doing and that I had a passion for. There are guys who go out here and actually think it’s just for fun, but once you’re taken away from it, then you really respect it. When you get injured like that, it’s tough.” - Brian Christopherson, Lincoln Journal Star

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

Quote:
Ah, but is he better than any WR, D-lineman, or O-lineman we could possibly get in the 3rd round?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
Ah, but is he better than any WR, D-lineman, or O-lineman we could possibly get in the 3rd round?
Drafting someone, say, Jordy Nelson, you never know how he will perform at the next level, but with Lito Sheppard, you know what your getting, a good sold vet that can cover the other teams best WR.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21 View Post
Drafting someone, say, Jordy Nelson, you never know how he will perform at the next level, but with Lito Sheppard, you know what your getting, a good sold vet that can cover the other teams best WR.
Yep.

Plus the Eagles play an aggressive blitzing defense that puts their corners in a lot of one on one situations. Lito did well in this scheme and he is good in run support as well. He would be a great fit on our defense.

Regarding our team needs, I am not sure why WR is hyped by some as such a high need? We have a ton of money tied up on WR's that are here and on other teams. IMO drafting a WR high in the draft would be a luxury and not a necessity. We would be ignoring other high needs like DE, CB, OG, OT where are are getting old, injury prone and thin in depth.
Some of our issues last year in the passing game might have been more about growing pains of our young QB and an offensive line that fell apart to injury more so than lack of talent in our WR's.

WR's like QB and RB sells a lot of tickets and the media loves to hype. It is easy to get excited and delusional that a Wr will cure all.
We need to be careful about not going back to the Snyderatto drafting habits of their pre-Gibbs era, where we drafted alot of skiil postion guys high in the draft that did not pan out:
1) WR Taylor Jacobs
2) WR Clifford Russell
3) WR Rod Gardner
4) QB Patrcik Ramsey

Redskins have not selected a Defensive Lineman high in the draft since Kennard Lang in 1997. 10 years!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
redskinmania
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21 View Post
That is true, he is very underrated, and he usually has to be up against the opponents best WR, and he still gets good numbers.
If you can get him for a 3rd, great, but the price is probably steeper.
redskinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
1) WR Taylor Jacobs
2) WR Clifford Russell
3) WR Rod Gardner
4) QB Patrcik Ramsey
1) WR Taylor Jacobs - Undersized and injury prone
2) WR Clifford Russell - Track star that had Spurrier looking at just his 40 time
3) WR Rod Gardner - For some reason the coaching staff seemed to give up on him

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #26
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
By the way...when we drafted Carlos Rogers 9th overall in 2005, Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman were then drafted 11th and 12th respectively. SHAWNE MERRIMAN!!! What were we thinking? You never draft for need...you take the best talent available. Carlos was not the best talent and has proven that fact. Sorry if I'm upsetting any Carlos fans, but facts are facts. Add up the pro bowls Merriman and Ware have been to and compare it to the ZERO Carlos has. I love ROcky, but if we drafted Ware or Merriman, we would have had Washington, Arrington and Merriman/Ware...that is a formidable tandem.
mmmmmmm, hindsight
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #27
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
1) WR Taylor Jacobs - Undersized and injury prone
2) WR Clifford Russell - Track star that had Spurrier looking at just his 40 time
3) WR Rod Gardner - For some reason the coaching staff seemed to give up on him
4) QB Patrick Ramsey - Football portion of brain never fully developed.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
redskinmania
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
mmmmmmm, hindsight
I followed Merriman in college very closely and I had no idea he'd be this good. At the time, we took a very highly rated player.

This happens every year. Think how many teams are sick about passing over Tom Brady.
redskinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinmania View Post
I followed Merriman in college very closely and I had no idea he'd be this good. At the time, we took a very highly rated player.

This happens every year. Think how many teams are sick about passing over Tom Brady.
We will see just how good Brady is next season when the defenses have headsets.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #30
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm sure if Carlos took as much HGH as Merriman has he would have become great as well. Merriman is not all natural talent, he had a little chemical help.