Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Out Of These Players Who Will Step Up Ther Game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #16
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

McCants is a possession receiver like Art Monk. After the first minicamp and one more time since, Gibbs compared him favorably to Monk. I see that as a huge clue that McCants has a great shot at the #2 spot. In the unlikely event Gardner finally figures out how to stop dropping key passes, I STILL think McCants will have a good shot at the #2 spot. If not, he should be on the field in most formations as #3. Seems like it may come down to who will be on the field with Coles and McCants in 3-receiver sets - Gardner, Thrash, or Taylor. Wide Open. If Cooley performs as the staff hopes, he will handle almost all of the H-back situations. They already threw the HUGE h-back playbook at him to learn. I have not heard if McCants is studying the position at that level, but doubt it.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #17
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
Why is there so much hate for Gardner? Everyone is willing to give Samuels a second chance after two bad seasons. Remember how many times Jansen jumped offsides and at times looked like a rookie last year? Up to now, Ladell Betts and Taylor Jacobs have been a waste of a high draft pick. Dockery did not look good early on and never really looked great.
I think our entire team (except for Champ Bailey) did not play well on a consistent basis. Even L. Coles and P. Ramsey, who came out great, fizzled and sputtered as the year went on.
Most of the blame has to go to S. Spurrier and his system.
Right before Spurriers first year, many football experts were saying Spurriers system does not lend itself to big possesion receivers like Gardner. Why are we suprised he did not look good?
I am willing hold back my dislike for Taylor Jacobs and Ladell Betts. I will give them a second and third chance (respectively) to prove they are not busts, if you folks give Gardner just as much of a fair chance.....
Believe me, I'm definitely not a Gardner-hater. Just ask any of the Warpathers who were on the board last year, and they'll tell you I was probably giving Gardner more props than he deserved. I've been rooting for the guy since he got drafted-- my Dad played at Clemson, so I have a soft spot for Clemson guys. Rod even agreed to record a little videotaped message for my Dad when I was at camp last year, so I've got nothing against the guy.

There are a couple of reasons I say that McCants and Jacobs have an excellent shot at displacing him on the depth chart: Jacobs has looked stellar in both minicamps, and has added a lot of muscle to his frame in an effort to improve his durability. Jacobs may be the best route-runner on the team, and his hands might be the softest. Frankly, I haven't been nearly as impressed with McCants (he was held out of much of the first minicamp, and didn't do anything spectacular in the 2nd one), but obviously, Gibbs has seen something about him on film that he really likes. McCants has proven he can be a dangerous red-zone threat, and he has excellent size and deceptive speed.

I didn't see anything in the first two minicamps to indicate that Gardner has stepped up his game. While he has shown flashes throughout his career of tremendous potential (200+ yards in that 2001 victory over Carolina come to mind), and he impressed me with his ability to reach 1,000 yards in 2002 (despite the horrible quarterbacking situation), he has never been able to shed his reputation as an unreliable receiver. I'm not saying he won't step up his game at some point this summer, but right now I have to go on what I have actually seen. At this point, if I had to create a depth chart, I'd put Jacobs at #2, with Gardner and McCants in a dead heat for the 3rd spot.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:35 PM   #18
manicd
Special Teams

Joe Crisp. You seem really sold on Jacobs. I hope he can be as good as you say. If so, we don't need to worry about the WR position. When/if Gardner is your number 3 option, we are ahead of most teams out there at WR.
manicd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #19
Cush
Impact Rookie

Dockery. He had his moments last year, both good and bad. I just think that Spurrier's system was not "rookie friendly". Even the vets had trouble with it.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #20
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicd
Joe Crisp. You seem really sold on Jacobs. I hope he can be as good as you say. If so, we don't need to worry about the WR position. When/if Gardner is your number 3 option, we are ahead of most teams out there at WR.
Yeah, Jacobs has certainly impressed me so far this offseason. If he keeps it up and continues to improve through the next minicamp, training camp and the preseason, I can't imagine him not getting a chance to start sometime this season. But obviously, I'd also like to see Gardner and McCants step up their games in response. With the top 4 of Coles, Jacobs, Gardner and McCants-- and what is certain to be a brilliant competition for the #2 and #3 spots-- this WR corps could really develop into something special.

I also like the positive, synergistic effect this competition could have on the secondary. Everybody's going to have to step up their game-- on offense AND defense.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #21
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush
Dockery. He had his moments last year, both good and bad. I just think that Spurrier's system was not "rookie friendly". Even the vets had trouble with it.
That's a very good point. He got thrown into the fire and got burned a fair number of times. That happens to all rookie linemen, but it was promising to see him start to come around towards the end of the season-- especially given how tough it was for the vets to look good in the Spurrier/Helton system.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:33 PM   #22
joecrisp
The Starter

Another guy who really could make things interesting on that WR depth chart is Scott Cloman. I think he's poised for a big year-- or at least another big preseason-- it's just unfortunate for him that the Skins are so deep at the position. Whoever loses the competition for the #3 spot is going to get a hell of a run for their money from Cloman and Thrash for the #4 spot. That's the amazing thing about the competition-- there's almost as much pressure coming from the bottom of the depth chart as there is from the top! Man, oh man, that's going to be fun to watch in the preseason!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:36 PM   #23
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
I think our entire team (except for Champ Bailey) did not play well on a consistent basis.

I would have to disagree on this one....I'm not hating on Champ because he is gone now but he got burned alot last year especially vs. the Giants. For some reason he has a real problem covering Toomer.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:24 AM   #24
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

hey joecrisp, about what weight has taylor come into the minicamps at?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 AM   #25
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

yea Champ never played well against Toomer, hes been beat big by him a bunch of times. We are definitly stacked at receiver this year. I wouldnt be to worried about the depth chart, if weve got that many skilled receivers then I say rotate them in and always have fresh legs out there. Honestly, with Portis in the back field, and with Cooley seeming like he has a lot of potential. Im not sure what defenses are going to be able to do to cover all of the weopens. Brunell might be better at QB for us this year, Ramsey doesnt seem really comfortable being able to sit back and find the open guy. Hell hes never been able to sit back so he always rushes throws even when he has time. the line will be better but with so much talent on the team it might be best to let the vet take us as far as he can
Old 05-06-2004, 01:37 AM   #26
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrisp
Another guy who really could make things interesting on that WR depth chart is Scott Cloman. I think he's poised for a big year-- or at least another big preseason-- it's just unfortunate for him that the Skins are so deep at the position. Whoever loses the competition for the #3 spot is going to get a hell of a run for their money from Cloman and Thrash for the #4 spot. That's the amazing thing about the competition-- there's almost as much pressure coming from the bottom of the depth chart as there is from the top! Man, oh man, that's going to be fun to watch in the preseason!
do u know why he signed on to come to the skins camp this year with all the depth they have at wr? i would have thought he'd shown enough last preseason to have gotten offers where he might have a better chance to be on the starting roster.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:29 AM   #27
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
hey joecrisp, about what weight has taylor come into the minicamps at?
The official roster on the Redskins website is reflective of the information that was provided to the press for the minicamp on 4/28/04.

According to that roster, Taylor Jacobs weighs in at 198, with Sean Taylor weighing in at 231.

Wasn't sure which Taylor you were talking about. I assumed Jacobs.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #28
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
do u know why he signed on to come to the skins camp this year with all the depth they have at wr? i would have thought he'd shown enough last preseason to have gotten offers where he might have a better chance to be on the starting roster.
All I can figure is he likes it here. He's signed thru 2005, after which he becomes an exlcusive rights free agent. I guess he figured the Skins probably would give him a fairer shot than anywhere else, because he probably impressed Cerrato and Snyder last year, and he knows they'll look out for him.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #29
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrisp
.....There are a couple of reasons I say that McCants and Jacobs have an excellent shot at displacing him on the depth chart: Jacobs has looked stellar in both minicamps, and has added a lot of muscle to his frame in an effort to improve his durability. Jacobs may be the best route-runner on the team, and his hands might be the softest.....

I hope you are right about Taylor, he has been a no-show since we spent a high draft pick on him.
My only concern with Jacobs and your glowing evaluation of him is many players look good in non-contact practices in shorts and helmets. But when the hitting starts and they take a big hit, they suddenly don't look so good.
It is particularly easy for a WR to look good and sure of himself in non-contact drills, because they know they are not going to get blindsided by a defensive player.
I personally will wait to see when the pads go on and the serious hitting begins, that is when I will make my mind about Taylor. I may be wrong about this label, but I have always thought (even in college) Taylor's only weakness was his toughness.
In his senior year in Florida I saw him take a wicked hit in a big game, I do not recall the opponent. He did not return or at least catch another ball for entire half. There are plenty of smallish receivers that have gone on to become stars and I hope Taylor is one of them. But they overcame their size disadvantage by being tough, like Gary Clarke and Troy Brown. Taylor, even in his best college days did not show much toughness. When I look at him, he seems to lack the killer instinct.

Last edited by Defensewins; 05-06-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #30
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Defensewins, unfortunately, I think you are right on with this one. Jacobs has not shown himself to be a gamer at all. Plus, he is still basically a rookie. Joe Gibbs strongly prefers experience. That is why I believe Thrash and McCants have the strong inside track to Gardner's job. With all the key drops and bad routes, it is extremely unlikely Gardner can hold the job. This has been going on too long for it to be a slump. And with Gibbs' repeated comments about McCants, you have to believe he will be on the field somewhere - either number 2 or in the frequent 3-receiver sets. I would love to see Jacobs get it together at gametime and battle Thrash for the job. But don't be surprised to see Thrash do very well in the upcoming competition. Remember, when he could not do the job in Philly, he was the #1 receiver. There are a lot of very good #2/3 receivers in this league that can not pull it off as a #1 receiver.

John Shaffer
National Fantasy Sports Leagues, Inc.
Home of the "Best Game In Town" since 1990
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote