Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #16
celts32
Playmaker

Re: Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyfan
Have you heard Gibbs or Williams say anything bad about ANY of our players in this type of situation? Pierce's smarts are likely not needed as much now that the rest of the team knows the defense. I'll trust Gibbs and WIlliams on this one. There has only been one real mistake they've made since they've been here and that's Brunell. It was a mistake a lot of other teams were also willing to make.

Let's stop with any talk that our D is going to suck next year just because we're losing Pierce. It's totally absurd. We'll have Bowen and Arrington back and a healthy D-line as well as the possibility of a siny new pass-rushing DE from the draft. It's also a little nuts to compare Pierce to Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Edge.

Here's my prediction: The D will be BETTER next year, not worse. They will still rank in the top 5 for yards allowed and they will have more turnovers.

Priority #1 is building a dynasty. That may sound a bit crazy for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in so long, but we can't pile on now or we will have to let a TON of players go next offseason. Notice what the Patsies have done the last few seasons. They do what it takes to keep MOST of their continuity each year. If you try to keep all of it every year, you end up like the Titans this offseason.
Look I hope your all right and we don't miss Pierce. All I know is yesterday there was just about 100% agreement on this site that the Redskins needed to resign Pierce and he was the biggest priority. And now that he's gone we are quick to say that everything is fine and we can do without him. Well I don't think that way. I will think everything is fine when I see that everything is fine. I love the Redskins as much as anyone in the world, but I don't like Koolaid...
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

jacobyfan - no other team was willing to give up a 3rd rnd pick and a huge contract to Brunell.

Now WE know what other teams feel like this time of year!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Celts - there was a minority of us that saw Smoot as the more important piece. Either way - we'll survive.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Celts - there was a minority of us that saw Smoot as the more important piece. Either way - we'll survive.
That may be, I certainly didn't ask everyone individually. My point though is that almost everyone yesterday thought that getting Pierce back was very important. And now that we didn't were supposed to jump to the other side and say that it's okay and we didn't need him that bad. Well I don't agree with that, I think he was important and i am more than a little bit pis*ed off that we didn't sign him. Hopefully, someone else can do the job next year. But I am sure not going to sit here while the ink on that Giants contract is not even dry yet and say that every thing is just fine...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #20
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I think the reason most people were thinking that is because of continuity. THAT was the importance. Now that he IS gone though, I DO believe we will be fine without him.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
jacobyfan
Special Teams

I did think Pierce AND Smoot were very important, but you can't overpay like the Giants have done. We've overpaid way too much in the past and I think at least as a trend, this is promising. Hopefully after this year we'll be a place to come and play for a good team and a good coach instead of to just get your pockets filled by the Danny. I am dissapointed that Pierce is going to be gone but not nearly as much as I will be if Smoot is gone. I'm willing to bet that the Skins have as good of a plan in free agency and the draft as they have ever had. I'm talking about a MULTI-year plan, too. Not this pay a bazillion dollars to win this year stuff like in 2000. A plan for long-term success. Pierce, at the money he's getting from the g-men, would dislodge other imortant pieces in that plan.
jacobyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #22
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Amen, JacobyFan! I completey agree. Look, we've been the ATM of the league, and now we're excercising some control. Sometimes when you do that you lose good players. But the culutre is changing, and that's what matters. Look at the Pats. That's a better model for building a team then opening the checkbook for everyone (we've tried that!), and we're moving in that direction. We're not at the point where it makes sense to break the bank for Pierce, even though we like him.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #23
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyfan
I did think Pierce AND Smoot were very important, but you can't overpay like the Giants have done. We've overpaid way too much in the past and I think at least as a trend, this is promising. Hopefully after this year we'll be a place to come and play for a good team and a good coach instead of to just get your pockets filled by the Danny. I am dissapointed that Pierce is going to be gone but not nearly as much as I will be if Smoot is gone. I'm willing to bet that the Skins have as good of a plan in free agency and the draft as they have ever had. I'm talking about a MULTI-year plan, too. Not this pay a bazillion dollars to win this year stuff like in 2000. A plan for long-term success. Pierce, at the money he's getting from the g-men, would dislodge other imortant pieces in that plan.
I agree with a lot of what you say about being more responsible money wise. I just thought that given how well Pierce ran the defense that he would be worth a little extra. His contract is an average of 4 mil a year for 6 years, with 6.5 gaurenteed I think. Is 4 mil a year really to much for your starting MLB? I don't really know, and we have never been told what they did offer him. Maybe it was to much, but in the heat of the moment I am ticked off that we couldn't retain him. it just seems like the only time the Redskins practice any fiscal sanity is when it comes to retaining one of their own. As long as we are working on correcting bad habits, that is one bad habit that i would like to see broken...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Celts - it's a change. You can't blame the guys for chasing money, but if we stop overpaying and start winning we'll start getting some free agents looking for more of a winning atmosphere than money (Corey Dillion.)
Old 03-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #25
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat
I hope to see the D actually SCORE more this season. Convert the turnovers, the Offense can't seem to.
SUNRA? Is that you?
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
BIGREDSKINFAN63
Special Teams

Thumbs up Re: Gibbs Comments on Pierce, et al.

they should have resigned pierce,as for smoot,his bark is a lot worse than his bite.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
That may be, I certainly didn't ask everyone individually. My point though is that almost everyone yesterday thought that getting Pierce back was very important. And now that we didn't were supposed to jump to the other side and say that it's okay and we didn't need him that bad. Well I don't agree with that, I think he was important and i am more than a little bit pis*ed off that we didn't sign him. Hopefully, someone else can do the job next year. But I am sure not going to sit here while the ink on that Giants contract is not even dry yet and say that every thing is just fine...
dont' worry about the past and things you can't control Its just the realist reaction... he's gone, so what's the plan now?

I think gibbs saw the horror of our 2006 cap and wanted to brace for it now (since he plans to be with us next year and beyond) instead of signing every single core player (like the titans) and being forced to blow up the team in a couple years... parcells is coaching to win now, gibbs is looking at the long term and what kind of precidents to set... It sucks we have to start now on him, but if williamss really wanted him, he'd be back.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Pierce was a valuable part of our defense and it stinks to see him go, but I'm pleased to see the team finally show some financial restraint. The team obviously placed a # on him and the Giants exceeded it. Gotta move on.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #29
monk81
The Starter

I'm glad we aren't overpaying for players as we have done in the past. But what irks me is that this guy is now playing for a team within our Division!!! So much for loyalty Pierce. I'm glad the Cowboys jumped the gun so if Smoot isn't re-signed he won't end up in Dallas.....or perhaps even the Cowboys thought Smoot wanted WAY too much perhaps that's a GOOD sign...........maybe Smoot will come down to earth a bit with his $$$$ and can fit into the Redskins plans........
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Pierce is showing loyalty...

to the cabbage, the greenbacks, the duckets, etc.

We'd all be doing the same thing.

Hey he did keep his word and give the Skins the chance to match. That's more than you can ask from today's player.