Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Quarterback

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Quarterback

I think it would be dumb to not at least tender JC.

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Jason Campbell has been one of the most difficult QB's to "truly" evaluate, mainly because of all the breakdowns surrounding him. The sum of his games as a starter have been uneven at best. I would not like to see him walk without some form of compensation so I would deffinately tender him.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
bigant
Special Teams

j.c is not the qb to lead us to the promise land, hell of classy guy,but he is not are answer at the qb spot, how about j. clausen from ND as are next qb?
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Ok...so before you roll your eyes thinking this is another bash Campbell thread, just wait....with the imminent changes that are about to take place in this offseason, it's only natural to consider the most important position on the field. As of now, Campbell will be a restricted free agent after this year. If someone like the Browns or Rams or Raiders offer him a decent contract, do you think Bruce Allen has seen enough to match it? I think we all know Danny's view on Campbell.

Or would you be willing to roll the dice with drafting one of the qb's in the draft and starting with him, OR having him back up and let Collins be the starter until the rookie seems ready. Collins has always come in and looked good off the bench, but could he be our Kurt Warner? Or Rich Gannon??

Is there still any hope of Colt Brennan?
Of our 4 QB on the roster today (Campbell, Collins, Brennan, Bartel) the only one I'd expect back in '10 is Campbell. There's no reason for Shanahan (allegedly) to come in and keep a 39 year old Collins, a 3rd stringer who barely made the team and was on IR anyways and a guy who was picked up in week 10 of the previous season. I'd expect the new coach to either re-sign Campbell or sign a younger veteran QB (Kellen Clemens?) and draft a QB in the 2nd or 4th rounds. I also wouldn't be at all surprised, especially if it's Shanahan, if we re-signed Campbell, traded for Sage Rosenfels and drafted a QB. Rosenfels was pushing Schaub for the Texans job a couple of years back and knows the offense. That would provide a quality backup for JC and legitimate competition if he somehow struggles in camp.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
Summo
The Bringer of Digital Bling

Obviously they need to get an offensive line otherwise it doesn’t matter who you have as a QB because your going to get him killed. But if they can get some o-line help why not see if they can make a move for Matt Leinart? I think giving the right situation and a change of scenery he would evolve into a good QB. I would imagine that Arizona has those plans for him sitting behind Warner but who knows perhaps he as wore out his welcome there? and I would probably cost a number of draft picks. Just a thought.

Visit my Socials: Twitter: @summo13 IGram:@summo13art
Summo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
rbanerjee23
The Starter

why not trade the number one pick for more second rounders, make the tough decision to give up cooley for a 2nd and 4th (or something like that) and have enough picks to both build up the line as well as pick up a decent QB in the second or third round.

Why are people so sold on Clausen, Bradford etc. For every Matt Ryan, there are like 5 Ryan Leafs. We could have just as much success with a qb in the second. O line is a lot less hit and miss in my opinion and should be our primary focus

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Jason Campbell has been one of the most difficult QB's to "truly" evaluate, mainly because of all the breakdowns surrounding him. The sum of his games as a starter have been uneven at best. I would not like to see him walk without some form of compensation so I would deffinately tender him.
I totally agree
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
dmek25
MVP

if he is tendered a contract, does that guarantee him a certain pay? or is just if someone signs an offer sheet?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The focus of our offseason needs to be the building of much new and improved O-line and then decisions about a depleted RB position. QB IMO is far down the list at this point.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #25
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

What do we do if there IS a CBA extension and salary cap? We'd have to franchise him and that's pretty expensive, isnt it?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Even if the Redskins decide to tender Campbell, whatever compensation they set for him is just a starting point for discussions. Other teams wouldn't necessarily be locked into that
Please explain in detail. From my understanding if another teams makes an offer we can match that team. If Soup takes the other team we're compensated draft picks. Is this because Soup was a number 1 or because the other team would be giving us they're picks. Who gives the Skins the picks?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

A new coach means ANOTHER new offense for JC to learn. Isn't that the reason his supporters give for his lack of development? Even with a new line, he would have to start over and learn a new playbook (and yes a new version of the WCO means a new playbook)...rendering him again uneffective. I would hope that Allen and his team would tender JC and find the best trade value from a QB starved team like the Bills, Rams, 49ers or Browns. I would be estatic if we secured a high 2nd round pick (the Rams for instance allowing them to draft Suh with their 1st) and were able to use it to get Colt McCoy who Kiper sees as a prototypical Shanahan QB a la Jake Plummer. Say what you want about the QB from Texas...he is a proven leader, has no fear of scrambling, has proven he can take a whipping, and when the game is on the line he puts drives together, not to mention his illustriuos resume and years of starting experience. Him with an upgraded line and a run first offense could be pretty good for a couple of years while he develops and we build the surrounding talent. Bring in a veteran FA to start in 2010 until the rookie is ready (if possible). Release TC and give CB another preseason to see if he can be a contributor.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #28
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The return of Patrick Ramsey...
Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Please explain in detail. From my understanding if another teams makes an offer we can match that team. If Soup takes the other team we're compensated draft picks. Is this because Soup was a number 1 or because the other team would be giving us they're picks. Who gives the Skins the picks?
Well, for example, let's say the Redskins say they want a 2nd and a 6th for Campbell. San Francisco calls and says we're interested but we only want to offer a 3rd. Then the Redskins ok, well what if we throw in Chris Horton then what can we get? And the Niners say two 3rds (2010 and 2011). So yeah we're compensated but not necessarily at the price we set.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #30
CrackBack
Camp Scrub

I don't think that JC has ever been in a position to succeed in DC. Bad coaching, O line, streaky receivers, new coaching, etc...

He may not be our future, but I think he will be a good QB somehwere.
CrackBack is offline   Reply With Quote