Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Gibbs: "We had a really good draft!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
TAFKAS:

I promise not to use that argument again as long as someone does not try to argue that James Thrash is part of a wide receiving corps that will strike fear in the hearts of every defensive coordinator in the NFL.

Deal?
Fine by me

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #17
ArringtonRules
Special Teams

I seriously think Gibbs still thinks this is 1990 or something.. He cannot develop and protect somebody like Campbell like he did for Rypien or any of his other QB's.. WE had other needs on defense and offense which were not addressed.. I don't whose decision this was but it was a very bad decision. Taking Carlos Rogers at 9 was xcellent. I thought we might have been tempted to take Williams, but we needed a CB real bad.
As I have said in my other threads, there seems to be no lack of direction or vision from the management. We don't have any plan. U cannot develop a good team if you constantly keep on mortgaging your future. We have no 1st round pick next year. Look at all the other who pile on picks and draft players who can add depth and value to their team. We could lern a ot from Phili as to how they drafted. WE WASTED OUR 3 PICKS FOR AN UNPROVEN COLLEGE QB!! If this is'nt insane tell me what is.. I am losing all hope of Redskins as an organization.. Danny boy needs to get a GM. WE NEED A GM!! We have had a poor draft for quite sometime now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
I was watching the NFL Network this evening and they had Joe Gibbs on Redskins' cam. Joe was talking about how the Redskins really had a great draft and how well they did in this draft. Watching that interview and remembering reading all the negative stuff by alot of fans here, I was quite amused!

After thinking about it, I think Gibbs is right. We got a cornerback to replace Smoot (hopefully), we hopefully have added some depth to the linebacker position, and we've added some depth at the fullback position. I know we (including myself) felt that WR was a priority position like CB, but going on the assumption that the contract thing works out okay with Moss and he stays relatively healthy, I think we have a good group of receivers to choose from. Patton, from what I have heard from Pats fans, appears to be a good find for us, Thrash proved to be a hard worker, Talyor Jacobs may have a real shot at proving himself this year....maybe we don't necessarily need a wide receiver. It's one of those things that we will find out when the season starts.

I think we have addressed alot of areas we need to address through the draft. It will be nice to have a big fullback in on third and short or goal line.....we didn't have that this past season. If we did...things could have been quite different.
ArringtonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:08 AM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I wanted Williams, but I could see the CB pick. Rogers was #2 on my CB board and PacMan was gone. He's a good player, I would have preferred Williams, a lot, but I could stomach the pick. Campbell however...
Old 04-25-2005, 12:13 AM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArringtonRules
I seriously think Gibbs still thinks this is 1990 or something.. He cannot develop and protect somebody like Campbell like he did for Rypien or any of his other QB's.. WE had other needs on defense and offense which were not addressed.. I don't whose decision this was but it was a very bad decision. Taking Carlos Rogers at 9 was xcellent. I thought we might have been tempted to take Williams, but we needed a CB real bad.
As I have said in my other threads, there seems to be no lack of direction or vision from the management. We don't have any plan. U cannot develop a good team if you constantly keep on mortgaging your future. We have no 1st round pick next year. Look at all the other who pile on picks and draft players who can add depth and value to their team. We could lern a ot from Phili as to how they drafted. WE WASTED OUR 3 PICKS FOR AN UNPROVEN COLLEGE QB!! If this is'nt insane tell me what is.. I am losing all hope of Redskins as an organization.. Danny boy needs to get a GM. WE NEED A GM!! We have had a poor draft for quite sometime now.
I think that it's either Gibbs or a GM. I don't think Gibbs would have come back if he didn't have final say on football decisions. So even if we did bring in a GM he'd still answer to Gibbs right?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #20
offiss

Quote:
Yeah he said that Campbell was a player they felt was too good to pass up on and felt he can be a long term Redskin for us. Gibbs spoke highly of Campbell's size and ability to use his legs to get out of trouble. Gibbs emphasized, however, that Ramsey is the guy now to lead us to championships.

This also reminds me of when the Skins drafted Rypien back around 1987 I believe. Doug Williams was our guy, but Rypien was being groomed for our future. Once Rypien became our guy, Gibbs went out and drafted Stan Humphries to be groomed as Rypien's replacement if something happened to Mark. If you think about through Gibbs' first tenure, we really shouldn't be surprised by the acquisition of Chris Campbell. Gibbs expects Campbell to learn from Ramsey and Brunell. Joe also expects Ramsey to be our guy for the next few years and when it's time for Ramsey to step down or if he decides to go to a new team, we will have a fairly young guy who knows the system that we can just plug in!
Actually it was 86 and he was a 6th rd pick and in 88 BEATHARD who drafted Rypien then drafted Humphries who also was a 6th rd pick, you see we drafted 2 project QB's in the 6th rd we didn't give up the following years draft for a QB to groom for 3 or 4 years, and that was before the salary cap, it's even more unrealistic now to draft a QB in the first rd and have him ride the pine for 3 years, and it will be longer than that once Ramsey solidifies the starting position.

It's a dumb move now, and in 3 years it will look even dumber. But we will have to wait for that to happen, but it will! Infact it will probably start the end of next season when draft time starts and we start looking at our need and remember again we can't address them because we have no draft, not that we would ever address a need with the draft.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #21
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Would Gibbs come out and say "Wow, we really sucked it up at the draft. My bad."

NO. Of course he thinks we had a great draft.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #22
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
What I wouldn't give to have Curmudgeon stop using this same damn line every time, acting like we Redskins fans are a bunch of "meatheads" who think there's nothing between bust and Canton bust. Annoys the #$)(@& out of me...who's with me?

Definitely me. For one thing, not one time in any of my posts did I say Thrash, Jacobs, Ramsey or any current Redskins player is bound for Canton...maybe it's arguing for argument sake, but that just isn't a true statement.

Secondly, we have had many Redskins players in Gibbs' first tenure that were not hall of fame material, but contributed a great deal to the team's success. That is what I hope happens with the players in the current draft - but no S.C., again you will not find anything in my post saying that I expect them to be bound of Canton.

I only hope they contribute and add depth to the team and yes, I hope they turn out to be difference makers....but I'm not stupid.

In regards to the QBs of the past, Humphries didn't just all of a sudden become a good quarterback. Don't even assume Gibbs and his coaching staff had nothing to do with his development over the years. Humphries wanted to be a starting QB, and Gibbs was willing to stick with Rypien and why not? Rypien won the SB the year before Stan went to S.D., why put Stan in as starter when you have a Super Bowl MVP QB?

I believe my quite right in my assumptions as far as pattern. Jay Schrader was Joe Thiesmann's under study, Rypien was Williams understudy (and really probably was meant to be Schrader's understudy), Humphries for Rypien. And....another pattern, the veteran QBs: Williams, Rutledge, etc... It's quite similar to what will probably be our present day situation....Ramsey, Brunell, and Campbell.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #23
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
What proof do you have that we have no core players?

the good players the skins draft arent resigned.
the current drafted redskins are unhappy with the organization(ramsey, arrington , taylor and even jansen said he was angry when he heard the skins wanted to draft a qb because he is good friends with ramsey)

you cant pick and choose who are your core players.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #24
ArringtonRules
Special Teams

Yes I agree tht Gibbs has final say n given tht I find it really hard to swallow tht we drafted a QB by sacrifying 3 picks. Ever since he took over we have been giving away picks (actually even b4 tht too) like they are a plague. Yet u look at all the good teams they have built through the draft and developed players.
I thought with Gibbs back in the helm tht would change, but it has'nt. The thing tht erally annoys me is that there seems to be no clear direction form FO n management, be it from the Coles incident to the Campbell leak. We are being made butt of all jokes and being in Texas makes it even harder.
With all the changes tht Snyder n now Gibbs have made I see us taking steps backwards after any progress we make. I am sorry now Gibbs has to earn my respect as team president, 'cause tht draft pick was a bonehead move on his part n it will bite him in the ass just the Brunell trade did. God did I hate the trade then and do I hate it even more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I think that it's either Gibbs or a GM. I don't think Gibbs would have come back if he didn't have final say on football decisions. So even if we did bring in a GM he'd still answer to Gibbs right?
ArringtonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #25
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
TAFKAS:

I promise not to use that argument again as long as someone does not try to argue that James Thrash is part of a wide receiving corps that will strike fear in the hearts of every defensive coordinator in the NFL.

Deal?
......yet nobody has said such, interesting.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
......yet nobody has said such, interesting.
True, but if that's what it takes to get SC to stop then so be it
Old 04-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #27
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf
the good players the skins draft arent resigned.
the current drafted redskins are unhappy with the organization(ramsey, arrington , taylor and even jansen said he was angry when he heard the skins wanted to draft a qb because he is good friends with ramsey)

you cant pick and choose who are your core players.

Like who exactly are you talking about that has not resigned currently? I haven't seen anything where Ramsey or Jansen want to leave the team. Saying you're angry over something is one thing, but that does not prove they are unhappy overall with the organization.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #28
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I wanted Williams, but I could see the CB pick. Rogers was #2 on my CB board and PacMan was gone. He's a good player, I would have preferred Williams, a lot, but I could stomach the pick. Campbell however...

exactly!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:27 AM   #29
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

SC,

I have never read a post here that claimed our wide receiving corps will strike fear in to the hearts of every DC in the NFL. What makes you think that someone would actually make that argument?
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 AM   #30
Shane
Special Teams

Jason Campbell was a courageous draft pick by Joe Gibbs.

The reality is that Gibbs is not convinced that Ramsey is the best player to rest the Redskins' future on. I love that we can give Ramsey a last chance and bring Campbell along without the pressure.

I also am glad Mark Brunell is on the team. With him being at full health for next year, and with a stable offensive line, he may get a chance to show that the old Mark Brunell who has had such an admirable career can still play. People blithely dismiss Brunell and ignore the circumstances which dramatically limited his ability to perform. If Ramsey falters, we can go to Brunell, expect a much different calibur of play, and still let Campbell wait in the wings.

Ramsey still has a chance, and I wish him luck. But there is no way in my book that we should invest the future of the team in a player who has yet to show great promise. He may yet do that, but Gibbs owes it to the team and the fans not to gamble that Ramsey will develop the way we hope he will.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote