10 thoughts on the draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #31
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: 10 thoughts on the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I wouldn't trivialize Weeden's age by suggesting he could have an 8 or 9 year career as a starter. I mean sure, if he sets the Redskins all-time passing yards record as a rookie and makes the pro bowl, that becomes a pretty reasonable projection for his career path, but what are (realistically) the chances of him doing that?

If you take Weeden, the concern is in the here and now: what can he give you in 2012 and going into 2013? After that, you have a 31 year old QB who you are working year to year with. If you take Weeden and your thought process is "we're good at QB for at least the next six years" I think you're doing it wrong.

When you've won 11 games in 2 years, the only draft pick that matters is a draft pick that can help you win 10 or 11 games in this upcoming season.
1st highlight- throughout history QB's were expected to get drafted and hold the clip board for a few yrs or until the starter could no longer play and only then take over, when they knew the system inside and out. It's only a select few QB's who should or can come into the league and start immediatly and be Pro Bowlers their first year. I wouldn't expect Luck or RGIII to start and be in the Pro Bowl next year so I won't Weeden.

2nd highlight- we really don't know what any of them could give us in 2012 or 2013, but Weeden has the arm strength to make all the throws, has good technique, and places the ball where only the WR has a chance to get it... unlike Grossman. If he provides us with a few more 1st downs and atleast 1 more TD per game then the Skins should be leading their division. The Skins lost several games this year by only 7 or less points per game. If we can't get a top quality QB in the draft then lets go out and get top quality WR's for our QB to throw to.

3rd highlight- QB's can play well into their 30's and if great up to 40. As long as the team provides decent protection he will be fine. But there is a rumor out there that MS wanted Barkley so I can see us settling with Weeden this year and going all in next yr for Barkley especially if our season is only marginally better. MS will I think then feel the heat to do something for a major improvement or be fired afterward. I still think he's safe after this year. There was just too much that needed to be changed form the past.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins5044 View Post
so do Trent and Fred.
It's ok there are a lot of people who probably like Peter Griffin III also.

See how childish it is?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
Is Weeden ready to play now? If he isn't, he should be a low pick. A 28 year old rookie that needs time to adjust to the NFL. Anyways, I think the Weeden hype concerning Shanahan, is way to obvious to be real insight in to what he(shanahan) is gonna do. Hes said alot of good things about some other guys at the Senior Bowl also.
and on the other hand I've heard MS has not done a lot of smoke screening since he came to the Skins. Atleast not as much as he did in Denver. Maybe this year he does, but it seems the team just doens't talk about anyone in particular and if asked they give a hum drum answer about everyone.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
DFlo

Nice read, thanks for posting
DFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I wouldn't be surprised if Weeden is drafted ahead of Tannehill.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote