Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Switching positions.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Switching positions.

gallery got moved from LT to RT to OG. shawn springs played some FS here, and vincent jackson played CB and FS in philly and here if i remember right...

it really just depends who it is. portis should have been a cb in college, but he insisted on being an RB, and that's why he went to miami... i know some college teams take their fast guys and divide them between WR/CB based on height and who can catch
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
gallery got moved from LT to RT to OG. shawn springs played some FS here, and vincent jackson played CB and FS in philly and here if i remember right...

it really just depends who it is. portis should have been a cb in college, but he insisted on being an RB, and that's why he went to miami... i know some college teams take their fast guys and divide them between WR/CB based on height and who can catch
Vincent Jackson has been a Charger since his rookie season.

Did you mean Troy Vincent?

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Vincent Jackson has been a Charger since his rookie season.

Did you mean Troy Vincent?
yeah, my bad.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Bucket
Playmaker

I think Hall has been solid this year. Not going to make it into a Hall thread again though. I know he has his public of hatters.

I wouldn't want to see him at safety though. His tackling would need to improve as he is a solid tackler, but he likes to go for the ball even when he doesn't have help around him.

I heard Gomez played some LB in college which is cool, but i'm hoping that we find a solid FS in the future. Besides QB, I think that's been the biggest void on our team since #21
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

N.E can never do wrong and WSH can never do right.. .SIGH
Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
The only problem I have with Hall being FS is he takes too many chances. I'd rather he stay at CB with a FS over the top to clean up his messes vs. putting him in at FS and he being the last man takes a chance and the result is a TD for the opponant. The team definitly needs a FS who is not afraid to hit and can run sideline to sideline to help the CB's.
Oh, I totally agree, I just think he'd probably be the most likely candidate to make the switch. That said, I don't want him trying to stop a running back in the hole and I really don't want to see him being the over the top guy because, as you stated, he takes too many chances. I don't want to see him back there, though.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I'm looking at this year's draft prospects, and once again there seems to be a severe lack of Free Safeties at the top of the draft. This seems to happen pretty often. There just seems to be a general lack of Free Safety talent in the league, While corners seem to be taken in plenty throughout the top draft. Although there seems to be plenty of gaurds/interior linemen this year, I would say that the same phenomenon happens with those positions also while tackles seem to be taken plenty throughout the draft.

I don't understand why teams don't draft corners and move them to free safety, or draft tackles and move them to guard. I understand there are nuances to the position/different skills required to be good, but it seems like there are enough similarities between these two positions that the transition could be made. Antrel Rolle to free safety, robert gallery/chris williams to guard. It almost seems like these guys got demoted but still ended up contributing more to their respective teams.

It almost seems as if the best football players play corner and tackle. There's just superior talent there. I don't understand why teams regularly draft poor talent at safety and guard in the later rounds over drafting superior potential at those positions simply because they were assigned a different position in college.

I may be off base here, but at the very least I think there's a little truth in what I'm saying
Two points:

1. Cornerbacks tend to be "faster/smaller guys" than safeties in college so perhaps teams prefer not to move them to safety until their speed diminishes and/or they "bulk up" a bit. Remember that Ronnie Lott - - who was "pretty good" as a safety started in the NFL as a CB with the Niners.

2. Check out the starting guards in the NFL and you will find that a lot of them played tackle in college and have been moved inside to play guard.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Two points:

1. Cornerbacks tend to be "faster/smaller guys" than safeties in college so perhaps teams prefer not to move them to safety until their speed diminishes and/or they "bulk up" a bit. Remember that Ronnie Lott - - who was "pretty good" as a safety started in the NFL as a CB with the Niners.

2. Check out the starting guards in the NFL and you will find that a lot of them played tackle in college and have been moved inside to play guard.
Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott are two guys who made the switch to safety after starting as CBs I think. Those two moves worked out pretty well!
Jontrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontrem View Post
Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott are two guys who made the switch to safety after starting as CBs I think. Those two moves worked out pretty well!
To add on that, Malcolm Jenkins of the Saints started there as a corner and they moved him to FS. Not saying he's anywhere near the class of Lott and Woodson, but it's worked out pretty well for him.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote