Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cold weather Super Bowls on the way

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #76
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Cold weather Super Bowls on the way

The Super Bowl is just a football game. Who cares if there is a potential for blizzard and the game might be postponed. It is just a football game. Nobody will die.
I was at the Patriots vs Raiders playoff game (the tuck game) and it was a blast to be there. The snow made it more memorable and added to the event. I think the candy asses that are afraid of cold weather can stay home have their moms tuck them into bed. I think there is enough interest in the game alone and then add the NYC night life and you will have a great SB.
It is always good to visit NYC.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #77
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
The Super Bowl is just a football game. Who cares if there is a potential for blizzard and the game might be postponed. It is just a football game. Nobody will die.
I was at the Patriots vs Raiders playoff game (the tuck game) and it was a blast to be there. The snow made it more memorable and added to the event. I think the candy asses that are afraid of cold weather can stay home have their moms tuck them into bed. I think there is enough interest in the game alone and then add the NYC night life and you will have a great SB.
Man up damnit!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #78
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Agree 110% with your whole post.

I was in NYC last weekend and had a blast. Jonesing to go back already.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #79
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
The Super Bowl is NOT a game for fans to attend. For real football fans, the Super Bowl happens in their living room or in the living room of a good friend who is throwing a Super Bowl Party. For the hardcore NFL fan, the venue of the game is irrelevant so long as there is a sure-fire satellite link for the TV signal to get to his local TV set.

The two teams competing in the game only get about 3-5K tix to spread around and the team takes care of some of its local sponsors before its season ticket holders get a shot at the few remaining tickets. The league uses about half the tickets for its "partners" (read sponsors) so that those partners can bring their buds to the game. This makes the partners look like bigshots and cements relations with those buds.

Fans get to buy tix from resellers at 500% mark-up. Those tix often come from the few tickets that the 30 teams not competing get from the league. They give some to their season ticket holders and a large number of them show up as "resale tix".

The problem with an outdoor cold weather Super Bowl is that since the folks in attendance are not necessarily hard core NFL Fans, they may not "appreciate" freezing their butts off. And for sure they won't be getting any tee times on the Thursday or Friday before the game because no golf courses will be open. Wives of the visiting big shots won't be able to catch any rays around a pool either. You can be sure that at least some of the "partners" will grouse about that to the league such that outdoor cold weather Super Bowls will not happen very often.

As for a Super Bowl in DC, you can forget about that so long as FedEx remains anything resembling what it is today. There will need to be a new stadium or at least $300 - 400M in upgrades to FedEx before the league will think about putting a game here.
welcome back and great points
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #80
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

man I was in NYC during mid jan 2007.. coldest shit on record for years.. didn't even bring a coat because I went on a whim because my friend was shooting a documentary and hotel rooms were paid for.. didn't know it was going to be so cold.. it had been warmer earlier in the month there

still had a fucking blast
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #81
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

I grew up in the Burbs just outside of NYC could never stand the city it was always too crowed .I have lived in MD for 31 years now and have taken the kids back up to NYC for different things.....went the year after 9/11 to see ground zero,it(the city) has improved a bit since I was a kid.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #82
MTK
\m/

Great place to visit, not sure I'd want to live there though, at least not now. I think for someone in their early 20s it would be great, so much to do and see, and so many great places to eat/drink.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #83
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Great place to visit, not sure I'd want to live there though, at least not now. I think for someone in their early 20s it would be great, so much to do and see, and so many great places to eat/drink.
My daughter was up there about 4 years ago on an internship ,the rents on Apartments is outrageous .
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #84
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
So true. I have a lot of family in NYC and Long Island...love to visit, would never consider moving there.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #85
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
One of the best places in the world for restaurants, deli's and places to eat 4am or any time. Same with bars and clubs. Which is why a SB in NY will be good.
I think this is one of the negatives of a SB in out of the way stadiums like the Redskins or Cowboys stadium. The city and night life is not walking distance from the arena and there is not much in the area surrounding the stadium. That has to hurt Redskins chances. I was born and raised in Maryland and love my state, but who the hell wants to plan a vacation to Landover, MD? They should have built the stadium in DC.
Yes, I know the 2014 SB will be in the Meadowlands and not officially NYC, but that part of NJ is close enough and there is enough ways to get back and forth to NYC.

Last edited by Defensewins; 05-27-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote