Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Raiders release JaMarcus Russell

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #61
GusFrerotte

Re: Raiders release JaMarcus Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Ok, one of the guys on Sirius NFL now is making the case for JaMarcus coming to learn under Shanahan/McNabb and be our 3rd stringer. I just don't buy it.

The guy is lazy, that is why he is overweight and has been a failure at QB. I am joking about bringing Gus back, but damn to be honest, Frerotte did way more with less than Russell ever will. Learning a new offense isn't going to help Russell, he needs an exorcism of sorts, namely his attitude. Maybe I shouldn't be joking about bringing Gus back. If he was 5-6 years younger it actually would be a decent idea.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #62
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I don't want this lazy dude on our team. We are good on FBs and I don't think he can play on the line. As far as QB that is not what we need.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #63
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

39 million? I mean come on. I am damn near 40 years old, my shoulder is shot, never played a down of QB in my life (unless you want to count Jr. High in practice a few snaps) but for that much money I would at the facility damn near 16 hours a day studying and practicing. It just makes you shake your head a say what a waste. Good riddance to him. I cant see him making another team. I am sure he is broke so I hope he learned something in college for him to work. If not I will see you at McDonalds.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #64
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I don't want this lazy dude on our team. We are good on FBs and I don't think he can play on the line. As far as QB that is not what we need.
How long have we waited for someone to say that?

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #65
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in TX View Post
How long have we waited for someone to say that?
A longgggg time!!! It feels good. Shanny and Mcnabb can't get this guy to play either.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #66
skinsfan69
Living Legend

russell may still have a job if not for mcnabb getting traded.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #67
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
russell may still have a job if not for mcnabb getting traded.
Even someone as bad as Sexy Rexy still has an edge over vending machine raider JaMarcus.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #68
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHazard View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing him in for an extra arm for mini-camps and Training camp. And if #15 can't beat out Russell in those camps/preseason, then he doesnt deserve to play for us anyway. Im actually a big fan of #15 but id let the best man win.

Jimbo Fisher (with LSU with Russell and now of Florida State fame) said he was a smart player, would go up to the line with 3-4 audibles. And that same performance is what made him an overall #1 pick in the 1st place. Who the hell was Russell's offensive coordinators in Oakland? Greg Knapp? Who? And last year they DIDNT EVEN HAVE an offensive coordinator. If you watch sum lowlights of the raiders last season, theres like 3 receivers in the same area on MOST plays. OF COURSE your gon throw interceptions if you let the defense cover everyone with less men, if all the receivers go to the same zone.

All im sayin is Brennan is turning 27 in August. Thats pretty old for a developmental QB. Jamarcus is two years younger, and Donovan McNabb LOVES tutoring african american quarterbacks. Not to mention, the Shanahan's are PHENOMENAL offensive coordinators So if Russell could beat out Brennan (needs to get in shape, attitude towards being good), then so be it. LONG LIVE COMPETITION~
He's said this?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #69
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

No SS, you have to assume black QB will only tutor their own race. Otherwise they will protest in disgust.

Same applies for white QBs.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #70
PHazard
Special Teams

I cant find the article where he said that African American QB's are a rare breed and he wants to keep it strong. It was a few years ago. But think about it, he helped lobby to bring Michael Vick to the Eagles when no one else would give him a chance. Even tho they played in the same division, he said he talked to Jason Campbell numerous times mentoring him with no other connections besides the fact they are african american quarterbacks. There are a few other examples. im not sayin McNabb is anti-white lol im just sayin this has always been his nature.

PS it sounds a little bit better on paper if we get a 4th round pick from 2012 AND Jamarcus Russell for Jason Campbell without JR's huge contract lol
If "The Future is Now" why would we use our #4 Pick on a QB who will spend the 1st year on the bench?
PHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #71
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHazard View Post
I cant find the article where he said that African American QB's are a rare breed and he wants to keep it strong. It was a few years ago. But think about it, he helped lobby to bring Michael Vick to the Eagles when no one else would give him a chance. Even tho they played in the same division, he said he talked to Jason Campbell numerous times mentoring him with no other connections besides the fact they are african american quarterbacks. There are a few other examples. im not sayin McNabb is anti-white lol im just sayin this has always been his nature.

PS it sounds a little bit better on paper if we get a 4th round pick from 2012 AND Jamarcus Russell for Jason Campbell without JR's huge contract lol
I think people take his quote out of context when he describes African American QB's. I think he is saying that to have a black QB who is a true QB, like a drop back passer, is rare. There are plenty of talented black QB's that are Kordell Stewart type players, ie 'slash", but there aren't many black QB's like Donovan. I think he means the pure passer type QB is rare among African Americans.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #72
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Shutdown Corner Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 am EDT

Russell as a Raider, in one handy stat: $100,000 per completion
By MJD

As he seeks an employment situation better than the one he had in Oakland (pro: the possibly deranged owner really believed in him; con: everything else), I really don't want to pile on JaMarcus Russell(notes).

But Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times went to the trouble of crunching JaMarcus's financial numbers alongside his actual on-field production. So, just as one final recap of the mercifully dead JaMarcus Russell era in Oakland, I'll pass these along. Here's how JaMarcus was compensated for his production with the Oakland Raiders:

Roughly $100,000 per completion and $5.6 million per win.

For comparison's sake, Tom Brady's(notes) total salary last year was $8,007,280, which comes out to $21,583 per completion. Peyton Manning(notes) pocketed $14,005,720 last year, and made $35,638 per completion. They're all ridiculous numbers, but no one's are more ridiculous than those of JaMarcus Russell.

Farmer also suggests that Russell was a bigger bust than even Ryan Leaf, but I'll defend JaMarcus on that one. Leaf is head and shoulders above JaMarcus. If the Hall of Fame ever opens a special wing for the biggest draft disasters, it will be named the Ryan Leaf Center for Scaring The Bejeezus Out Of All Future Draft Prospects.

In total, Russell will pocket more than $39 million for his three years of work in Oakland. He's already been paid $36 million of that, and the Raiders still owe him $3 million more.

But that's the past. What's important for JaMarcus is the future, and I'm sure that someone will give him another opportunity, along with a more stable, positive work environment. He's got some changes he needs to make on his own, too.

The upside is that all of this provides him with the opportunity to become the greatest draft-bust-finds-redemption story ever. Maybe it's not quite the same opportunity he had as a first-overall draft pick, but it's something.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #73
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

Is JaMarcus related to Portis or Haynesworth, or both?
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #74
Bigreds77
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I think people take his quote out of context when he describes African American QB's. I think he is saying that to have a black QB who is a true QB, like a drop back passer, is rare. There are plenty of talented black QB's that are Kordell Stewart type players, ie 'slash", but there aren't many black QB's like Donovan. I think he means the pure passer type QB is rare among African Americans.
The Skins were the first & only team to win with an African American QB & hopefully we will be the second. Other than the color of their skin they have something else in common...............CLASS
Bigreds77 is offline   Reply With Quote