Players view on the Coles situation

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Players view on the Coles situation

Coles-Moss deal unlikely

Quote:
"You don't want to have somebody that doesn't want to be there," said linebacker Antonio Pierce in a phone interview. "If he's unhappy, he's going to make other people unhappy. We don't need that kind of negativity.

"L.C. plays hard, and guys respected him for that. But you need everybody on the same page. He wasn't a distraction, but you could tell he wasn't happy. If he came back, he would definitely be a distraction."
Quote:
Quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who has reclaimed his starting role, apparently would welcome Coles. According to a source close to Ramsey, he was stunned by Coles's desire to leave. Before Ramsey lost his job following the 2003 season, the two had formed a rapport as Coles finished with 82 catches and 1,204 yards plus a team-high six touchdowns.

Right guard Randy Thomas praised Coles for not making his displeasure public last season while performing with spirit. But Thomas added: "If your heart is not here, why even come back in the building?"

One veteran defensive player believes that Coles is showing his true colors despite his reputation for being the quintessential team player. "Why doesn't he give Coach a chance?" said the player who joined Washington last season.

Linebacker Marcus Washington, like most teammates, was conflicted about the subject: "Whatever decision he makes, he has to live with those consequences. He's a tough guy. He's one of my friends. I don't want him to leave. I don't know all the details, but if I know Laveranues. I don't think Laveranues is quitting on anything."
Quote:
"Maybe he wasn't able to adjust to a new coach," Pierce said. "He was hand-picked by Spurrier, Dan and Vinny. Guys on defense can adjust since it seems like we have a different coordinator every year. So change is no big deal. Some of us are able to adjust."

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
monk81
The Starter

Re: Players view on the Coles situation

At least some of the players are also sticking up for Gibbs and saying to give coach a chance.................

Sounds a little like the reaction to Ricky Williams from the Dolphins......at least their are SOME players loyal to the their teams and coaches.
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Shane
Special Teams

Things are complicated, but as the deadline approaches, things may shift. We'll see where things are on March 1.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I love how the man who wants to test free agency waters and won't sign, what i'm sure is a very very fair deal, tells Coles how if he doesn't want to be here he better not bring his negativity around. Wow - give me an award for the best run on sentence! If it weren't 1am I'd fix it!

Anyhow - Pierce has little room to be critical of Coles.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Those are some interesting comments. I wonder who the veteran defensive player is who says he believes Coles is showing his true colors...Springs, Griffin, Salave'a?

And it's interesting that AP says Coles wasn't a distraction last year but he definitely would be this year. And he's definitely speaking like someone who plans on coming back. I wonder though if he'd be as inclined to come back if Coles is there. Sounds like he doesn't want to have to deal with the negativity that Coles might bring with him in '05.

And finally, here's something Randy Thomas told the Washington Post earlier this week, "Why would you not want to play for Gibbs? He's a player's coach."
Old 02-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Pierce is talking like a guy who seems to know he's going to be with the Redskins next year, or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Players coach... Coles was handcuffed by routes and sick of losing all the time is my guess. I think Gibbs is GREAT with players - don't get me wrong. To some people, a nice guy being your coach isn't what you want. See Norv Turner. Nicest guy in the world - that doesn't mean players will play hard.

I feel players are willing to play hard for Joe Gibbs and he is absolutely amazing at leading guys. I just think that there's trouble on the horizon when your two starting WRs want out of the offense. Maybe that's just me. I think some people may be more optimistic than Coles.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

i know you didnt get every players opinion and post their quote, but in general I like the attitude I am hearing. you didnt hear a lot of 'its a business' type of talk. Everythign focused on teh team, and not the player.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:12 AM   #9
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Players coach... Coles was handcuffed by routes and sick of losing all the time is my guess. I think Gibbs is GREAT with players - don't get me wrong. To some people, a nice guy being your coach isn't what you want. See Norv Turner. Nicest guy in the world - that doesn't mean players will play hard.

I feel players are willing to play hard for Joe Gibbs and he is absolutely amazing at leading guys. I just think that there's trouble on the horizon when your two starting WRs want out of the offense. Maybe that's just me. I think some people may be more optimistic than Coles.

Agreed! Gardner who cares, but Coles is a different story, obviously the nod goes to Gibb's I hope he get's the offense turned around in a hurry because the honeymoon is over as far as a mutiny is concerned.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

Pierce has said all the right things. He said he wants to find out what he is worth on the market and if the Redskins match it, which he expects, he'll stick with the Redskins as they are his #1 choice. Seems to me like that is more than reasonable. I am sure there isn't a single person in here who doesn't know what they are worth on the market.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
GoSkins!
The Starter

I think Coles has shown a lot of heart on the field, but he needs to get his off the field emotions under control. I still think that if Coles really wanted out, on his terms, he could get it. He would just have to give back all the money it would cost to release him. Even if he gave back 5 million, the skins would take a cap hit... so he would have to do some complicated restructure to make it happen. The Skin's didn't invent the salary cap, but they have to deal with it and therefore do not have the luxery of giving in to Coles desires.

Right now, what I see is that Coles took a big ( I think 13 million?) sign on bonus, collected the cash, then played for two years and wants out. Giving back 5 million still leaves him with 8 million and whatever his salary was. We can't afford to ditch Brunnel, what makes anyone think we could afford to ditch Coles? If he doesn't like things right now, just wait a year, see how things are, and then ask for a trade when it won't cost the team as much. I wonder if he is afraid that the toe may get worse and wants one more big payday.

Now, to trade him, he wants to keep ALL the money, and get a richer contract with the next team. That just rubs me wrong! The reason any team would give him a sign on bonus the way we did is if we would be able to build around him for years. If he doesn't like his contract situation, he can only blame himself. Thank goodness there seem to be other Skins players that feel like he is on the wrong page.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

This whole situation really sickens me! I've lost alot of respect for L.C. You can blame this on Gibbs' unproductive offense all you want, but this to me shows that LC is in it for himself...not for the team.

We need a healthy Coles...or a healthy Moss....we can't afford to come out of this with nothing.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah, I definitely think Pierce will be back. I don't think other teams are going to give any outrageous bids based on one great season. The Redskins need him more because he is great in their "system" and I won't go so far to call him a system player but playing for GW definitely helps.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Yeah, I definitely think Pierce will be back. I don't think other teams are going to give any outrageous bids based on one great season. The Redskins need him more because he is great in their "system" and I won't go so far to call him a system player but playing for GW definitely helps.
This is the NFL we're talking about, players who have one great season get rewarded with huge deals all the time.

That being said, I do agree teams may view him being a product of Williams' system. I'll even go a step further and say despite his very good season last year, Pierce is not in the upper echelon of MLB's just yet.

He should receive some interest, let's just hope it's something reasonable that we can match.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Based on his intelligence alone, that will help his asking price, BUT I still think he will only get adequate offers that the Redskins should (hopefully) be able to match.